Massey 399

Hey, got a Massey 399 breathing heavy with bit of oil, was thinking about engine rebuild an while I’m at it, fitting a turbo, any pro’s/cons? Any info be appreciated
Thanks

Hey, got a Massey 399 breathing heavy with bit of oil, was thinking about engine rebuild an while I’m at it, fitting a turbo, any pro’s/cons? Any info be appreciated
Thanks
Is it the later phaser engine?
I suppose you wouldnt want to go crazy with extra power as they wouldnt be the heaviest of gearbox's and backends

Thanks
Is it burning much oil? I know the 4260 here breathes heavy and it is a known thing with 4260/70 6 cylinders so I'd imagine the 399 is the same?

Is it the later phaser engine?
I suppose you wouldnt want to go crazy with extra power as they wouldnt be the heaviest of gearbox's and backends
Yea 97 1006 phaser. Just want a bit more boost when hauling on hills, nothin mental, would be happy around 115

Is it burning much oil? I know the 4260 here breathes heavy and it is a known thing with 4260/70 6 cylinders so I'd imagine the 399 is the same?
Yea leaves brave puddle when idling once warmed up, but all the ponies seem to be there still, goes well

Our 4260 breathes heavy to have it near ten years and it was always like that but doesn’t burn any oil, what were they like when the were new?

Our 4260 breathes heavy to have it near ten years and it was always like that but doesn’t burn any oil, what were they like when the were new?
We have ours 16 years this year, was always like that. Before my father bought it he looked at a 4270 in martins. Was a lovely clean tractor but it was breathing heavy as well so he didn't buy. After looking into it more he found that this was normal so bought so ended up buying the 4260.

Think ours did, our 6180 would have did to a small degree. Engine went in it when we sold it, the 399 that is.

Back