Massey Ferguson 6180 clutch/trailer brake

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by Kcoleman, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Kcoleman

Kcoleman Member

Just wanna pick a few brains here. I bought a 6180. Trailer brakes didnt work so I tried to bleed trailer brake valve under cab. I can get oil flowing freely from valve but the pressure at the brake pipe where brakes are connected won't build up. I now notice it can be hard to get tractor into gear. The tractor tends to creep forward or backwards before going into gear, with a struggle. I think all the hydraulics are in the same circuit and I've lost pressure somehow.. Has anybody encountered something similar? Thanks

2. headcase

headcase Very Senior Member

i know nothing specific to this tractor but looking at the parts book there's a low pressure distribution block(by master cylinders) for the brakes and i think clutch
    have you bled the clutch as well?

3. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

Any issues with the other hydraulic functions,lift,pto,4wd,is the steering heavy.
    Are there any lights showing on the dash,has it had fresh oil and the three filters changed,cleaned lately.
    Did you clamp the return pipe from the distribution valve when bleeding the brakes.

4. Kcoleman

Kcoleman Member

The back end is fully serviced and all filters changed.. There are no lights on the dash and all other hydraulics/steering and pto work fine.. I also clamped the pipe under bonnet when trying to bleed the trailer brakes.. The normal tractor brakes work perfect too

5. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

They might be 2 separate issues, the difficulty getting into gear might be a leak in the hydraulic release bearing with the creeping caused by pressure on the synchros, the trailer brake valve might be stuck.

Ian and scoffcruddle like this.
  6. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

I've seen the valve stuck on a 600 Massey,it was a Bosch valve and worked fine once we'd figured the problem.

7. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

The 6290 was a right see you next Tuesday to bleed the trailer brake valve in just drove her for a few days and it half self bled.
    Put a hose on then and kept pumping the pedal got all the air out

8. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

I think there's a bleed nipple down on the side of the bell housing on the left side if memory serves me for the clutch. It was that way on the 3650 mf we had anyway. It used get air into the circuit every now and then for no reason we could ever figure out and it used result in the trailer brakes stopping and the clutch only half disengaging. Wasn't hard to bleed when it did.

9. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

There should be a clutch valve with bleed screw on the right side gearbox cover on the 61s.

diesel power likes this.
  10. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

Have you cleaned the strainer filter above the pick up hitch.

11. Kcoleman

Kcoleman Member

Tried bleeding the clutch under cab.. Improves slightly but still very hard to get into gear..when oil is warm. Gonna replace seals etc in clutch master cylinder and see does that help.. Also gonna test low oil pressure circuit that operates clutch.. All filters have been changed in the back end already

12. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

Could be that the Accumulator has lost pressure.

Kcoleman likes this.
  13. Kcoleman

Kcoleman Member

Turned out the trailer brake was stuck as Arthur said above. Im gonna test the pressure at the clutch valve, under right side of cab, to see is it 17 bar as it should be. If not I think Ill get the accumulator tested to see is it 9 bar.. I think thats what they are supposed to be anyway.

Todd Cuttance and WestCorkBoy like this.
  14. Dave 6180

Dave 6180 New Member

15. Kcoleman

Kcoleman Member

I had to take the trailer brake valve had to come off and be opened to free out a little valve inside it

16. Howie

Howie New Member

Does anybody know what fitting is required to test the components of low pressure hydraulic system in a 6180. I recently got a new accumulator fitted. Came set at 11bar, my steering is very light not sure if orbital unit or seal away in ram itself, the brake pedal goes down a good bit, clutch can be very jumpy an I lost all brake pedal this morning while drawing second 11ton load of stone was rather scary try to get stopped. The brake pedal then came back about an hour later though. Not sure exactly what to do.. never buy a tractor from Howard Fulton tractors Northern Ireland complete nightmare.
    Thanks for any responses

17. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

I’m nearly certain the accumulator should be set to 9bar for a 6100 series.

18. Howie

Howie New Member

Hello ok no problem, what’s the safest way of taking the accumulator off to get the pressure dropped to 9bar? Thanks