Massey Ferguson

What are the buttons on the main gear lever for? Speedshift and ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210510-220932~2.png
    Screenshot_20210510-220932~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
A friend has a MF 4255, yesterday driving a double chop harvester with it. He topped up the diesel tank about 80-90%, after about 10 minutes working the tractor lost power and stopped. Diesel was flowing out around the filler cap and when He removed the cap diesel flowed out under pressure., the tank seemed to have pressurised? He syphoned around 20litres out of the tank, bled the system and it seemed to run OK after that. Any ideas folks?

A friend has a MF 4255, yesterday driving a double chop harvester with it. He topped up the diesel tank about 80-90%, after about 10 minutes working the tractor lost power and stopped. Diesel was flowing out around the filler cap and when He removed the cap diesel flowed out under pressure., the tank seemed to have pressurised? He syphoned around 20litres out of the tank, bled the system and it seemed to run OK after that. Any ideas folks?
Tank breather pipe blocked?

engine aneroid split on the fuel pump=
turbo is blowing air into the fuel lines

If there was 10% space in the tank after he topped it up last and its now over flowing under pressure then either something is flowing into it that shouldnt be or the tank has gotten smaller.

If it is a blocked breather then would it run fine with the cap off. In a sealed system the pump would be pumping diesel around the system but as a small amount is burnt in the engine there is less to return to the tank. This should create a vacuum in the tank if the breather is blocked. Might suck in the tank a bit but it shouldnt overflow.

If there is air being blown in to the system then there should be bubbles rising out of the tank. Easy to check.

Is there 2 tanks on these? Connected with a hose? If so my guess is its drawing diesel from one tank and returning it to the other and the hose connecting the 2 is blocked or collapsed internally.

One for the Massey brigade, I have a class arion 420 which has a Massey backend and the equivalent of a dyna 4 transmisaion. I think the brake system is the same from talking to a few people. Brakes work fine when pressed together or if the right side brake is pressed the right wheel brakes, but if the left wheel brake is pressed both wheels brake, it's very rarely an issue but if pulling beet or even spraying beet you might give the steering brake a little touch just to pull it into the row. This is the way the tractor has always been, any ideas?

One for the Massey brigade, I have a class arion 420 which has a Massey backend and the equivalent of a dyna 4 transmisaion. I think the brake system is the same from talking to a few people. Brakes work fine when pressed together or if the right side brake is pressed the right wheel brakes, but if the left wheel brake is pressed both wheels brake, it's very rarely an issue but if pulling beet or even spraying beet you might give the steering brake a little touch just to pull it into the row. This is the way the tractor has always been, any ideas?
Does the left pedal activate the trailer brake?

Left side brake brings on trailer brake. Right on its own doesn't.
That's what I thought.
There must be some feedback from the trailer braking system applying the right brake. I had heard about it before, but sorry I cant remember how it is sorted.

That's what I thought.
There must be some feedback from the trailer braking system applying the right brake. I had heard about it before, but sorry I cant remember how it is sorted.
Thanks anyway, we had an issue with brake switches when it came first but this sounds unrelated.

Is it a fault though? Is it not a regular thing that one pedal activates 4 wheel braking?

No i don't think so, left brake should only activate left rear, right brake likewise. Four wheel braking doesn't come on unless both pressed together. Otherwise there's no point having separate brakes. My problem is left brake is bringing on both rear wheels.

No i don't think so, left brake should only activate left rear, right brake likewise. Four wheel braking doesn't come on unless both pressed together. Otherwise there's no point having separate brakes. My problem is left brake is bringing on both rear wheels.
I've definitely driven something where the left brake didn't act as a side break, it could even be my own yoke, I haven't used a side brake on it in a long time. I must check.

Anyway never mind my idle ramblings

I've definitely driven something where the left brake didn't act as a side break, it could even be my own yoke, I haven't used a side brake on it in a long time. I must check.

Anyway never mind my idle ramblings
Yeah it's not something id use a lot, beet is really the only time it's useful.

You should have a equalizer valve somewhere by the master cylinders
Usually the left works the left the right works the right etc
Then the equalizer valve balances the pedals to both wheels
Normally the balanced pressure activates the trailer braking

You should have a equalizer valve somewhere by the master cylinders
Usually the left works the left the right works the right etc
Then the equalizer valve balances the pedals to both wheels
Normally the balanced pressure activates the trailer braking
When I brake with both I'm not pulling to either side. And trailer brake cones on if both or the left alone are pressed what do you reckon is up in that case, the mechanism which activates the trailer brake? Is it allowing pressure across to the right side causing that to engage aswell?

Back