Mchale vs Welger

The welger packs the bale well but with the latches on the door it is a smaller bale than the mchale.
The mchale door opens a bit under pressure which leaves the bale a bit bigger.
A standard roll of plastic will wrap 33 welger bales at 16 turns each the same roll of wrap will cover 31 mchale bales. Their is a difference in bale size.

what wrap is that? never heard that big of difference only when comparing to a rp 12 or 200.

The welger packs the bale well but with the latches on the door it is a smaller bale than the mchale.
The mchale door opens a bit under pressure which leaves the bale a bit bigger.
A standard roll of plastic will wrap 33 welger bales at 16 turns each the same roll of wrap will cover 31 mchale bales. Their is a difference in bale size.

More depend`s on wether it`s a twin dispenser wrapper or single, twin wrapper`s / fusion are heavier on plastic .Only get 31 here with the welger wrapping with twin wrapper

what wrap is that? never heard that big of difference only when comparing to a rp 12 or 200.

Any and every kind i used to wrap for a contractor who had an f550 and an rp220 profi,
The welger was a better shaped bale but slightly smaller you could wrap the welger bales as fast as you wanted you would never put one over the table. whereas you would have to be more careful with the mchale bales.

Any and every kind i used to wrap for a contractor who had an f550 and an rp220 profi,
The welger was a better shaped bale but slightly smaller you could wrap the welger bales as fast as you wanted you would never put one over the table. whereas you would have to be more careful with the mchale bales.

i can only compar to krone and they seem to be bottom of the pile to most but they can come off the table easy enough, only getting 30 to 31 bales to a roll of silawrap and in good swathes seems to match the rest of balers, not good on haybob swaths but then none r and they are definatly a smaller bale as i have one man who cant take full bales from the krone but could from the 550 his previous contractor had only big difference is i chop all bales.

still would prefer welgar over mchale as they have a better dealer base and parts availabitly. i find men dont worry about bale size its price per bale, but i havent been asked that this year yet business is getting busy because no one seems to sharpen knives or change them.
what is the best chopping of mchale and welgar, lots of complaints of welgar but there is only one welgar left round here and he has a good reputation for chopping too.

o know a man that ran a welger and changed to a mchale lost no job and made 2000 less bales sometings wrong there

thats no comparasing at all, different year lighter crops, even if two balers were side by side in the same feild its still hard to compare, if you wanted you could make a better bale with a class 46 than a welger, different drivers differnt settings differnt forward speeds, theres so many vairables.

Come on tinny if we were tinking about buying a new f5600 why would you go for the 245?
I wasnt long coping your a welger man :D
you noticed...:whistling:
ooh i do like a debate on something i know a bit about...:D

youve started off with two decent machines, most try the 5500 v the 245 profi comparison, two totally different balers.

the 5600 is an impressive baler tbh, and ticks all the boxes, it id be hard enough to call it between them, but if the right man was on the profi and knew her inside out, id put my money on the welger packing a tighter bale, but there wouldnt be a whole pile in it.
fair is fair like.

the 245 isnt without its faults mind, jack stand on the wrong side, covers out too far from the frame so on wet roads the tyre will spray water up on the netter unit, reel bearing's not easy to access, and my biggest craw is, no 1000rpm drive on it.
but on the plus side, the blocking problem that plauged the 220's and the 235's is gone, the rotor is bigger now ( mind you, it was in the last of the 235's as well ) but its a different pattern on the 245's now.
not once have i seen it go to clog behind the tines, but ive yet to bale soapy aftergrass with her, i dont think there will be any problems tbh, but time will tell.

vision is good looking at the reel on the 245, not as easy to see it on the mc hale.
you would need to be an octopus to open the side panels on the mc hale compared to the welger.
no positive lock on the green lady, it is a plus imo, more equally formed bales with a higher density.
the mc hale will wet the door open so the bale will look bigger, but its not as tight.
it might get wound up as tight as a welger if you took your time, but we arent going to win any races at that lark.

the 5600 seems to be just an upgrade of the 5500, same baler, just with extras, which would lead me to beleive that there would still be an issue with the blocking problem that some lads are having, the early 235's done it as well, but this was changed mid ways through production and a larger auger was fitted, it went a long way to curing the problem.
plus fitting a white strip nearly solved it.
this is the new rotor in the 245 profi's now.
Lely_Welger_Fixed_245-profi_CSO2768vrijstaandkopie.jpg

wider reel on the 245 as well, its 2.25 compared to the mc hale at 2.0
the bale chamber and diamater is the same on both balers.

all in all, id say the best thing to do here is go see each one in action, id like to see what you think of them both.
but the right man would need to be driving it, ive been to mc hale demos and the bale that was let out would nearly make you sick, she is well fit to make a good bale, just the wrong man on her.
same as the welger, if the wrong pilot is on her and hasnt her set up right, she will make as bad a bale as the mc hale in the demo.

i dont see the point in them tbh we have 50k on the mchale like and apart from the odd bearing and carrier theres no bother tine crossed over today the man on her nearly lost the top of his finger when she came out
the 5 tine solid pickup is streets ahead of the cam type, i wouldnt of thought that until i used one tbh, i find it a mighty job, no more feckin cam bearings to change every year.
I know a guy at the minute who is fed up of his 30k bale welger235. I was surprised to here this , but as he said himself , I'm buying a mchale.
as already said, what model was it.
even so, if he knew how to drive it right, he wouldnt of parted with it.
but i know you always know someone changing to something else all the time, so not really anything to go by.

mchale all the way,work with a contractor who had a welger rp220 up to 2007 before he traded it it for a fusion.He wouldn't take a present of a welger again and says that they are only scrap
thats rubbish , good god, scrap thats the best yet, he didnt know how to use her is all.
and to boot, he went from a 220 to a fusion, thats like going from a jf900 to a sp...

In the second week of june i mowed 22 acres of silage of a reasonable crop it was a dry week i mowed it on a thursday evening and it was rowed up and baled on the friday the baler came at 7 in the evening it had 24 hours to wilt.
Our normal contractor who has a mchale f550 was to busy to bale it so he sent another contractor with a brand new welger 245 mastercut.
He had a 140hp tractor and the bales were chopped very well i know this because he put one out with no net and when i rolled it out to be baled again it fell apart the best chopped bale i have ever seen.

Their was 250 bales on the 22 acres i think that if the field had to have been baled with a mchale their would not of been as many bales.
I drew in bales made by a fusion in the dry and my tractor was rareing with too bales on the back. It wasnt with the welger bales.
if he had the density set low then he would make that many bales they would look like hailstones on the field.
personally, i could of gave you the price to bale it before i baled that for you, 22 acres on a decent first cut wilted for 24 hours, id pack that into 170 bales, id hope for slightly less.
id be happy to take the money and take my chances anyway.

just to note for anyone.
if someone is baling with a welger for you, listen to her opening the door, there should be a decent crack off it seven times out of ten roughly.
if there isnt, he aint packing them for you.
at a density of 1, i can make a passable bale, it looks ok, will wrap fairly good, softer corners, but thats easily passed off as a narrow row..:whistle:
at 8 or 9, where I bale at, i can go about another 80-100 foot before she beeps,....... that adds up.

o know a man that ran a welger and changed to a mchale lost no job and made 2000 less bales sometings wrong there
yeah, he wasnt packing the welger bales, simple as.

The welger would chop better it would have 24 knives compared to the mchales 13. But the welger has been got rid of the man now has a fusion and the f550.

Some of ye may know I came close to buying a welger this year, in the end we stuck with mchale, on our third mchale now, it's costing on average 40 cent /bale +vat to change every 2 or 3 yrs. From looking at secondhand prices I don't think I could change a welger for the same price as the mchale, I'd say it would cost at a min 10cent more, that's over a €1000/yr for us, I'd like to try a welger on demo this year to compare the 2 balers, I doubt there will be much in it, I've no doubt a mchale can put as much into a bale as a welger, maybe more, the welger bales look neat and tidy, more consistent bales imo, but the there is notting wrong with a mchale we have 200hp on it most of the time, good rows and plenty of power make good bales, I've seen mchales and welgers Baling beside me before and they were both putting a lot less in a bale than we were, it's not just the make of the machine, very little between welger and mchale imo.

Some of ye may know I came close to buying a welger this year, in the end we stuck with mchale, on our third mchale now, it's costing on average 40 cent /bale +vat to change every 2 or 3 yrs. From looking at secondhand prices I don't think I could change a welger for the same price as the mchale, I'd say it would cost at a min 10cent more, that's over a €1000/yr for us, I'd like to try a welger on demo this year to compare the 2 balers, I doubt there will be much in it, I've no doubt a mchale can put as much into a bale as a welger, maybe more, the welger bales look neat and tidy, more consistent bales imo, but the there is notting wrong with a mchale we have 200hp on it most of the time, good rows and plenty of power make good bales, I've seen mchales and welgers Baling beside me before and they were both putting a lot less in a bale than we were, it's not just the make of the machine, very little between welger and mchale imo.

I'd agree there is very little between them, I came close to buying McHale but opted for the 245 Xtracut and I'm very happy with it. A neighbour had a stack of bales perhaps 80 done with a F5500 and about 40 done with a 245 Xtracut. They were baled with the same tractor, same driver, in similar grass, mowed with the same mower, dry conditions and the man genuinely wanted a fair comparison. I know there are still variables but there wouldn't have been much in it only the McHale bales were made two weeks earlier. He asked 5 different men (Including Me) to tell him were one started and the other stopped and nobody could or even close to it. I tried with a tape measure and still couldn't do it, there are still variables but it was accurate enough for me to rule it out as a consideration for choosing one baler over the other. To make it more accurate you would need to do all of the above on the same day, same field etc and take two bales to the weighbridge, I'd be surprised if there was much difference. I'd like to try the Welger in the wet short stuff to see how it copes.

bearing in mind, we are comparing a 5600 to a 245, both would be equal enough machines.
a 5500 wont be tho.

Have you ever baled with a mchale tinman? its all fine to say a mchale is better or welger is better but if your welger at heart you are going to stick to welger likewise with the mchale i tink if you had a season with both and went into it open minded you would know then but sure how many of us are ever going to get a chance to do that.

that rotor is a fair looking ball of i ting seems like a good job tho from what you are saying one ting i hate about the mchale is them roller pins in the knifes what a messy job i belive welger work diffrent?

Have you ever baled with a mchale tinman? its all fine to say a mchale is better or welger is better but if your welger at heart you are going to stick to welger likewise with the mchale i tink if you had a season with both and went into it open minded you would know then but sure how many of us are ever going to get a chance to do that.

that rotor is a fair looking ball of i ting seems like a good job tho from what you are saying one ting i hate about the mchale is them roller pins in the knifes what a messy job i belive welger work diffrent?
only ever made about 40-50 bales with one tbh.
im not the kind that sits on the fence either, i either like it or i dont.
personally, id rather the welger just.
after all, mc hale copied a lot of welgers traits, and then threw a bit of claas into the mix.

tbh, i dont think the post i put up earlier was in any way one sided, i think it was a fair enough balance, perhaps you should read it again.

sorry now, i dont know about the roll pins on the mc hale, you may explain to me.

[ i hate about the mchale is them roller pins in the knifes what a messy job i belive welger work diffrent?[/QUOTE]

iv replaced on roll pin in 24000 bales, although its not nice getting a face full of dust,

[ i hate about the mchale is them roller pins in the knifes what a messy job i belive welger work diffrent?

iv replaced on roll pin in 24000 bales, although its not nice getting a face full of dust,[/QUOTE]

r the knives held in by roll pin that breaks with forign object?

r the knives held in by roll pin that breaks with forign object?
Yeah, a double roll pin setup holds the lever that moves the knife up & down, takes a fair wack to break them...

If there's a couple broke it's as handy to drop the shaft out & work at it on the bench, about a dozen bolts drops it out in 10 mins.

Yeah, a double roll pin setup holds the lever that moves the knife up & down, takes a fair wack to break them...

If there's a couple broke it's as handy to drop the shaft out & work at it on the bench, about a dozen bolts drops it out in 10 mins.
there is a roll pin on the welger iirc, but i never seen one break.
the knives are on an accumulator so if they hit something they will drop down, or the rotor will cut out the pto if the object jambs below it.

in saying that, i found this the other day.:001_huh:

Attachments

• IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 122
the knives are on an accumulator so if they hit something they will drop down, or the rotor will cut out the pto if the object jambs below it.
Same as, just you can be unlucky the odd time.

Ur not using the right knives.......:whistle::whistle::whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D.

I broke a few last year too....mostly as I forgot to lock them back in....twice :blushing:.

i broke 8 knifes last year and one this year, any knife the hasent bn replaced is ruined, i was putting it down to the wet year and all the extra rakeing bringing up stones,

bearing in mind, we are comparing a 5600 to a 245, both would be equal enough machines.
a 5500 wont be tho.

Fair enough, would the Welger Xtracut and McHale F550/F5500 not be fairly equal as well? I was reading The Man's post about the F550 and 245 Mastercut which I pressume must have been an Xtacut. Profis and F5600 would not be that common in our area, I have only ever seen one F560 and don't know anyone has a F5600 although you would see the odd Profi about.

the mchale boys told us to often open the accumulator valve and clean it out as the smallest bit of dirt will block it and they wont drop

you noticed...:whistling:
ooh i do like a debate on something i know a bit about...:D

youve started off with two decent machines, most try the 5500 v the 245 profi comparison, two totally different balers.

the 5600 is an impressive baler tbh, and ticks all the boxes, it id be hard enough to call it between them, but if the right man was on the profi and knew her inside out, id put my money on the welger packing a tighter bale, but there wouldnt be a whole pile in it.
fair is fair like.

the 245 isnt without its faults mind, jack stand on the wrong side, covers out too far from the frame so on wet roads the tyre will spray water up on the netter unit, reel bearing's not easy to access, and my biggest craw is, no 1000rpm drive on it.
but on the plus side, the blocking problem that plauged the 220's and the 235's is gone, the rotor is bigger now ( mind you, it was in the last of the 235's as well ) but its a different pattern on the 245's now.
not once have i seen it go to clog behind the tines, but ive yet to bale soapy aftergrass with her, i dont think there will be any problems tbh, but time will tell.

vision is good looking at the reel on the 245, not as easy to see it on the mc hale.
you would need to be an octopus to open the side panels on the mc hale compared to the welger.
no positive lock on the green lady, it is a plus imo, more equally formed bales with a higher density.
the mc hale will wet the door open so the bale will look bigger, but its not as tight.
it might get wound up as tight as a welger if you took your time, but we arent going to win any races at that lark.

the 5600 seems to be just an upgrade of the 5500, same baler, just with extras, which would lead me to beleive that there would still be an issue with the blocking problem that some lads are having, the early 235's done it as well, but this was changed mid ways through production and a larger auger was fitted, it went a long way to curing the problem.
plus fitting a white strip nearly solved it.
this is the new rotor in the 245 profi's now.
Lely_Welger_Fixed_245-profi_CSO2768vrijstaandkopie.jpg

wider reel on the 245 as well, its 2.25 compared to the mc hale at 2.0
the bale chamber and diamater is the same on both balers.

all in all, id say the best thing to do here is go see each one in action, id like to see what you think of them both.
but the right man would need to be driving it, ive been to mc hale demos and the bale that was let out would nearly make you sick, she is well fit to make a good bale, just the wrong man on her.
same as the welger, if the wrong pilot is on her and hasnt her set up right, she will make as bad a bale as the mc hale in the demo.

the 5 tine solid pickup is streets ahead of the cam type, i wouldnt of thought that until i used one tbh, i find it a mighty job, no more feckin cam bearings to change every year.

as already said, what model was it.
even so, if he knew how to drive it right, he wouldnt of parted with it.
but i know you always know someone changing to something else all the time, so not really anything to go by.

thats rubbish , good god, scrap thats the best yet, he didnt know how to use her is all.
and to boot, he went from a 220 to a fusion, thats like going from a jf900 to a sp...

if he had the density set low then he would make that many bales they would look like hailstones on the field.
personally, i could of gave you the price to bale it before i baled that for you, 22 acres on a decent first cut wilted for 24 hours, id pack that into 170 bales, id hope for slightly less.
id be happy to take the money and take my chances anyway.

just to note for anyone.
if someone is baling with a welger for you, listen to her opening the door, there should be a decent crack off it seven times out of ten roughly.
if there isnt, he aint packing them for you.
at a density of 1, i can make a passable bale, it looks ok, will wrap fairly good, softer corners, but thats easily passed off as a narrow row..:whistle:
at 8 or 9, where I bale at, i can go about another 80-100 foot before she beeps,....... that adds up.

yeah, he wasnt packing the welger bales, simple as.

I know this is a welger -v- mchale debate but, has anyone any experience of krone balers, specifically the round pack model. Could these be compared to a mchale or welger baler

Or are they even rated as a baler on here? :blushing:

I know this is a welger -v- mchale debate but, has anyone any experience of krone balers, specifically the round pack model. Could these be compared to a mchale or welger baler

Or are they even rated as a baler on here? :blushing:
they can make a good bale too, again, there is a positive lock on the door.
but,
you couldnt listen to the clatter of her, you would be heard miles away, imagine having that behind you for a whole summer.
the netter system on them is dire imo, and if not finely tuned will give endless bother.

grand baler, but nowhere in the league of the other two just.

the mchale boys told us to often open the accumulator valve and clean it out as the smallest bit of dirt will block it and they wont drop
id be hoping that no dirt would be geting in tbh.
never had to do that tho, id imagine its on the baler spool block they are on about the valve.

Back