Meal bin bridging

muckymanor

Has anyone had issues with ration bridging or just not flowing from a meal bin? The mix I want is only in a ration and people have said to me that it'll bridge in the bin.

Has anyone had issues with ration bridging or just not flowing from a meal bin? The mix I want is only in a ration and people have said to me that it'll bridge in the bin.
I had coarse mix in my bin once was told the same so just ordered the minimum they would deliver

Always use ration, don't think there was ever nuts in our bin.
It can bridge a bit but a bit of rattle gets it going. Never had a bother emptying it except one time it started leaking water. 🙈

Any of the pig meal I used deliver always bridged if the bins weren't fully emptied before being refilled and not all of the rations would have had wet ingredients. It's the fine dusty stuff that sits around the circumference of the cone that causes the problems.
Unfortunately it's the joys of it from my experience.

Never asked a lorry man but do those lorries have a on board weighting system if you wanted say 6 ton could take a bit out of next compartment to add to your 4.2ton?

Never asked a lorry man but do those lorries have a on board weighting system if you wanted say 6 ton could take a bit out of next compartment to add to your 4.2ton?
Our delivery man's lorries don't have on board weighing or if they do, I don't get any details of it. We get a delivery docket which shows the weight for our own compartment from the mill. See the one attached. So basically I get what they put into the compartment. They can't split compartments for me.

IMG_20211206_142034.jpg

Our delivery man's lorries don't have on board weighing or if they do, I don't get any details of it. We get a delivery docket which shows the weight for our own compartment from the mill. See the one attached. So basically I get what they put into the compartment. They can't split compartments for me.

View attachment 100518

I think that's the way with most Mills. Fairer too . I'd imagine the other way might end up open to "abuse ".

I have a feeling you rarely if ever get your weight on the docket .2nd last load I got was gone in 3 weeks and this load same weigjht 4 ton has lasted me into the 7th week with roughly similar pattern of feeding .What I noticed with this load of coarse meal there was a big amount of nuts going true probably belonged in another bin of lorry so i probably got over and above what was on the docket but deinitely feel i was short on previous to that delivery

I have a feeling you rarely if ever get your weight on the docket .2nd last load I got was gone in 3 weeks and this load same weigjht 4 ton has lasted me into the 7th week with roughly similar pattern of feeding .What I noticed with this load of coarse meal there was a big amount of nuts going true probably belonged in another bin of lorry so i probably got over and above what was on the docket but deinitely feel i was short on previous to that delivery
Thats interesting. A neighbor does the bulk deliveries for the mill that i buy from. I'd be confident that there wouldn't be messing. Are you feeding it by weight or by volume? Volume can change depending on the ingredients and ingredients of the same mix name can change throughput the season depending on input prices. See the pic of the receipt above. I normally get between 4.1 and 4.2 ton of a 16% nut in a compartment. This load was a 14% finishing but and weighed 4.46 ton for the same volume. I was feeding it out in buckets from the chute at the bottom of the bin and I could know that each bucket was heavier. (After feeding it for a month I could see the difference in the cattle getting it too).

Thats interesting. A neighbor does the bulk deliveries for the mill that i buy from. I'd be confident that there wouldn't be messing. Are you feeding it by weight or by volume? Volume can change depending on the ingredients and ingredients of the same mix name can change throughput the season depending on input prices. See the pic of the receipt above. I normally get between 4.1 and 4.2 ton of a 16% nut in a compartment. This load was a 14% finishing but and weighed 4.46 ton for the same volume. I was feeding it out in buckets from the chute at the bottom of the bin and I could know that each bucket was heavier. (After feeding it for a month I could see the difference in the cattle getting it too).
If we went on nuts from our own mix we would have to adjust the feeders in the parlour

No that`s not an option . The next compartment could have a complete different mix to what your`s is . On board weigher`s are getting more common but there for the driver`s benefit if a delivery has to be split between meal bin`s on the farm
You`d be very wrong in that view if buying from a reputable source . If the same load to you has lasted 3 week`s longer the likely hood is the door of the next compartment popped open . Each order is filled in to the lorry indvidually wether it fill`s 1 bin or 3 . Then the truck is weighed next order is filled in to bin`s and then weighed again process continue`s until truck is full . Your delivery docket will show the weight of the lorry before filling your order and after . The difference between the 2 is the weight to be delivered to you .

In the few mills I was in, the lorries are sitting stationary on a weighbridge as the are filled. A hopper on rails overhead, moves back and forth to fill each section. The docket for each section/ farmer is printed as that section is filled.
The only real discrepancy that can arise is if the driver dosen't empty a section. You have to switch on an auger to pull in the feed from the back corners.
On some trailers if the section is packed full, if the trailer is tipped up really high, the feed can spill over the partition from one section to the next.
Some lads get paranoid about the quality delivered but I think it's swings and roundabouts.

Back