Meal feeding on grass

Selling stores off kale might not be the best idea unless selling privately.
Cattle won't weigh well off kale but they will do a great thrive if they get good feeding afterwards.maybe with a few kg of meal per day they might weigh.
The best thrive I ever got off cattle was Friesan yearnings off kale and let to grass in early spring as they had frame but little condition starting off

Cattle won't weigh well off kale but they will do a great thrive if they get good feeding afterwards.maybe with a few kg of meal per day they might weigh.
The best thrive I ever got off cattle was Friesan yearnings off kale and let to grass in early spring as they had frame but little condition starting off
I will be buying in weanlings to finish the Krale, so if the big bullocks are not doing well on it or doing too much damage to the ground. I will be feeding meal to them while they are on it.
It really is only a trial and will stop at any stage it is not going well.
I only sowed it to give the field a break from grass and allow time to clean and level the field for reseeding.
This is not really a commercial venture so I can do a few odd things and see how they go, I can change course at any stage, house them for a while or sell them.

Same story here with steers off kale, in fact those few black limos in with the CHX's which i phtographed today were like that when I bought them, once they had the 20kgs of muck cleaned off I never saw cattle turn inside out so quickly.

These bullocks were straight off kale when they came in the spring, I still think with a bit of meal they should do well while the weather and field hold up.

With that level of feeding, I'd be afraid they would melt on the krale unless you intend to continue feeding meal on the krale.
In which case you'll have spent the price of finishing on meal, but they won't be finished.

@legsandland what would you do with them?
The krale sounds interesting and sure enough you would really need figures to know how good it is .
I would agree with Arthur's view of feeding meal at grass and I'm not a big fan . Works ok with a very small group but if the weather turns bad it's shed time a leave a few lighter lads out to graze off anything .
If you have the right animal to convert it I've found it better to feed heavier for a shorter time rather than giving 2/3 kilos over a couple of months ..its certainly more efficient from a labour point of view anyway

Thanks for the replies.
Moved the bullocks on to the aftergrass, poor quality, needs to be drained, sown with Kale and then into corn for a few years and back to grass.
I will stay feeding them a nibble of meal, it may not pay but on poor grass and it means I can handle them on my own.
IMG_20170808_112959.jpg IMG_20170808_112951.jpg

im the same,been waving the little white magnet at them and they come running to me,its half the battle:Thumbp2:

I started feeding meal on grass ten days ago mainly to save grass. So far its working well with good results.
View attachment 78879

Have been feeding a small bit to train them to come to me for the last few weeks, about 2kg twice a week. With the drought I will be upping it from this week. Have so started creep feeding calves. The cows are mud fat even with scorched grass so the meal should push on the calves that bit extra.

Back