MF64nn

towbar

So recent posts of 6470's got me looking at upgrading the tractor.

Currently have a 6270 and while I wont trade it in would plan to have 2 tractors for next couple of years but want to be able to step back to a single tractor in time. Young lads are helping out at minute but I'm sure that novelty will pass! Interested in views- budget is about 40k (including vat as not registered) but willing to spend a bit more on a tractor that will retain its value!

Brand MF - not really open to others unless Cork selling the Fendt cheap!
No loader.
HP 120-160.
Must have ccls.
Ideally 3 spools.
front axle susp ideally cab suspension also. - really miss suspension on 6270.
50k optional not required.
Hours <7500 - ideally around 5-6k. hours will be about 400 per year and I want to stay under 10k if possible over about 10 years.
Age preference is 10-12 years old
Transmission not dyna 4! dynashift or dyna 6 - nervous but I think I need to bite this bullet.

Tasks,
Sowing (DD Moore and one pass), rolling, spraying/fertiliser, baling, haulage, stubble cultivation. Maybe some ploughing and cultivation ie roller with paddles.
6270 does all this today but is a bit lost for power on hills with the moore, one pass and the paddle roller - nothing low range doesn't resolve but be nice not to have to go there.

Options:
6280/90 - Low hours with front axle suspension. Haven't seen many low hrs clean come up lately would be well within budget but would be 18+ yrs old. 26-30k

6480 Tier 2 dynashift or dyna 6?? could be good option but on older end of target age. 28-32k

6470 - tier 3 sisu engine only 4 cyclinder but very tempting and fits in budget dyna 6 - nice one for sale in NI but only 2 spools and no eco pto! 38-42k
or
https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6470-with-loader/27615525 - could drop loader to get back in budget.

6480 - tier 3 sisu - will push me well over budget but maybe wait a year or so currently 48-52k for reasonable hours

7616/8 - these starting to appear at 6480 T3 money??? 53k?

Thoughts .... certainly tempted by 6470 ..
Is eco pto a deal breaker?

Currently have a 6270 and while I wont trade it in would plan to have 2 tractors for next couple of years but want to be able to step back to a single tractor in time. Young lads are helping out at minute but I'm sure that novelty will pass! Interested in views- budget is about 40k (including vat as not registered) but willing to spend a bit more on a tractor that will retain its value!

No loader.
HP 120-160.
Must have ccls.
Ideally 3 spools.
Hours <7500 - ideally around 5-6k. hours will be about 400 per year and I want to stay under 10k if possible over about 10 years.
Transmission not dyna 4! dynashift or dyna 6 - nervous but I think I need to bite this bullet.

Tasks,
Sowing (DD Moore and one pass), rolling, spraying/fertiliser, baling, haulage, stubble cultivation. Maybe some ploughing and cultivation ie roller with paddles.
6270 does all this today but is a bit lost for power on hills with the moore, one pass and the paddle roller - nothing low range doesn't resolve but be nice not to have to go there.

Options:
6280/90 - Low hours with front axle suspension. Haven't seen many low hrs clean come up lately would be well within budget but would be 18+ yrs old. 26-30k

6480 Tier 2 dynashift or dyna 6?? could be good option but on older end of target age. 28-32k

6470 - tier 3 sisu engine only 4 cyclinder but very tempting and fits in budget dyna 6 - nice one for sale in NI but only 2 spools and no eco pto! 38-42k
or
https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6470-with-loader/27615525 - could drop loader to get back in budget.

6480 - tier 3 sisu - will push me well over budget but maybe wait a year or so currently 48-52k for reasonable hours

A 6470 is a great tractor, but I don't see anything listed above that a 4cyl would have an advantage over a 6cyl, but a few of those jobs the 6cyl would have an advantage.

personally id go 6 cylinder seeming as you already have a 6 cylinder. id go 6465/6475/6480 with dynashift unless you can find a t3 in your budget. if going 6470 you would be going back in wheelbase too and for what youd be doing, you probs want some weight too. also @kverneland es 80 mentioned in another thread about some of the 6470 needing the bigger diesel tank. the one you linked looks like it has it but not sure. eco pto, no harm in having it. handy for topping and slurry tanking

No loader.
HP 120-160.
Must have ccls.
Ideally 3 spools.

Tasks,

Options:

or

The lift buttons on the 7618 are not very user friendly, in my opinion, I would not buy one for tillage work without the multicontroller.

Would you consider this 6480 ? It’s one of our old ones we sold it locally in 2017 and they just didn’t have the work for it, we thought hours were wrong initially but it just done so little work since it left here.
If you have any questions on it Pm me and I can give you a ring

Attachments

• 7A429350-0C3C-415F-8E6F-276A7457DD2A.png
    7A429350-0C3C-415F-8E6F-276A7457DD2A.png
    533 KB · Views: 108
A 6470 is a great tractor, but I don't see anything listed above that a 4cyl would have an advantage over a 6cyl, but a few of those jobs the 6cyl would have an advantage.
Fair point but it is lighter which is an advantage especially for the spraying, spreading and baling. Friend reckons I’d regret going to 4 for the main jobs though so looks like you agree 😀

Diesel tank isn’t a worry as never far from base, but I think consensus is 4 too light for those tasks

i would take the 6470 over our 6480 all day long, what ever is in it its just a very smart tractor and plenty of power ,we recently bought a bigger mf but we have some serious hilly fields that have to get slurry and the 6470 had the power but not the weight for stopping.i would regularly carry 3t of fert and once i have plenty of weight on the front its fine ,6l diesel /hr since we got it

Would you consider this 6480 ? It’s one of our old ones we sold it locally in 2017 and they just didn’t have the work for it, we thought hours were wrong initially but it just done so little work since it left here.
If you have any questions on it Pm me and I can give you a ring
I clicked in and out of that one a few times alright. I was surprised it was original tyres. To be honest for age and hours it was the outer edge of what I was looking for and i passed on a local dynashift one a good bit less than that but I’ll drop you a pm

Fair point but it is lighter which is an advantage especially for the spraying, spreading and baling. Friend reckons I’d regret going to 4 for the main jobs though so looks like you agree 😀
Ploughing, stubble cultivation and direct drilling, as in all heavy traction jobs, the longer wheelbase of the 6cyl is a big advantage. I regularly am swapping between the 4cyl 6718S and the 6cyl 7720S on the Karat and funnily enough it is not the power that is the big difference, but the ability to put the power to the ground, but I am jumping 2 steps between the tractors.
The 6718S is an amazing tractor and the things it is capable of are very surprising. Stubble cultivation with the Karat it is nearly a match for the old 6490, when on flat good ground, but hit a hard spot, a soft spot or a hill and it runs out of traction, not power, the Xeobib 710 tyres help to cover its shortcomings but in tough going the extra length and weight of 6cyl give it a massive advantage.
On pto work and light work the 4cyl is great, but not heavy traction tillage work.
Just my opinion.

I,m on my third 4 cyl a 5470 , 6470 and now a 6613 , 50 k and cab and front suspension + ccls on the last 2 maneuverability is a priority .72 inch track and the stops set to the last mm . With heavy red clay soil here forward speed is limited so handling a 4 m Khun Accord disc one pass isnt a problem , traction wise their,s nothing too onerous here with a 4 furrow reversible not creating too much of a test . Horses for courses, suits me but a different work load could make a 6 cyl more attractive.

Is it a 6470 ifarmwefarm has. Sounds like a noisy yoke.very short wheel base on her. Strikes me a bit as only a yard & light work tractor.

Personally would aim for a 6480 minimum,going from a 6270 as i own one & done many years working on 6480,s.

I have a t3 6470 does all my work 4f plough 3m moco 15 trailer but rarly at that with silage,given the choice i would like a t2 as I think it looks nicer perhaps a t2 6480 woild look nice in the line up but the 4 cyl isnt too big for the little jobs and to me its balanced quite nicely ,when you are looking secondhand you dont always have much choice or time to make a decision when a decent tractor turns up, anything in your list could be work able.Eco pto wouldnt be a deal breaker nice only some good if you do a lot of low power pto stuff.

That last 6470 is very dear way beyond my budget going to watch out for a late t2 6465/75/80. Like the eco pto for spraying not a showstopper but like to have. Ccls essential. Suspension is very high on list but not many 6465 seem to have.

Seen d and m farm services with this up on their Facebook page today. Lovely looking tractor. Hard to come across them like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529_191439_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20210529_191439_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 65
Kerry tractor`s had a 6470 a while back (march time) might still have it . It was here for a week while another tractor was getting work done loader brackets high vis roof . Nice tractor no show pony but all there .

Back