Milking parlour

declanc304

Do many lads milk in parallel parlours? Thinking of putting 1 in here at home and getting d farm going for myself as its all d fathers at d moment. Im trying to figure out pros and cons to parallel setups but i don't know of any personally. Old machine is wore out and shed wouldn't be in d best of nick

Do many lads milk in parallel parlours? Thinking of putting 1 in here at home and getting d farm going for myself as its all d fathers at d moment. Im trying to figure out pros and cons to parallel setups but i don't know of any personally. Old machine is wore out and shed wouldn't be in d best of nick
How many you milking what size parlour do you have currently how many units are you looking to put in and how many people will be milking

whats a parallel parlour ?

is it a double up ? - two rows of clusters ?

How many you milking what size parlour do you have currently how many units are you looking to put in and how many people will be milking
D father quit milking a couple of years ago i was working in d states at d time. Hes willing to get back in with me. We have a 9 unit parlour in now it started as a 4 unit back in d day and 2 were added to d back in d 90s and 3 more to d front early 2000s. It would just be my father or me milking wed be aiming for 50 cows in a few years could start around 30 for d first year. Land is all in 1 block about 80 to 85 acres

We have the 2’2” centre parlours. It’s great for milking in once the cow is in

can be a pain training heifers for a few months after calving, have a manual head rail and seriously considering baling

but once they are in place it’s a nice position to milk cows

putting 50 through a 9 unit would be a handy milking

2ft2 so .tbh what you have would be fine as you would be on 5to 6 rows maybe go to 10 units
D parlour thats there now is behind d feeding area id rather convert that to a calving house and build a new parlour beside it. Theres plenty of room to d side for a new build

We have the 2’2” centre parlours. It’s great for milking in once the cow is in

can be a pain training heifers for a few months after calving, have a manual head rail and seriously considering baling

but once they are in place it’s a nice position to milk cows

putting 50 through a 9 unit would be a handy milking
Have u got any photos of ur setup?

I'd be more going for a 12 or 14 unit standard parlour at 2ft 2 centers. I think be more comfortable to milk in.

How many cows would a man want to have to justify a 12 or 14 unit?
I’d say a 14/16unit I wouldn’t go parallel it’s not efficient for one person they might tell you it is but realistically you need 2 people because it’s like milking in a 28 or 32
Unit

Starting off, you'd want to keep costs as low as possible so maybe fixing/reroofing the parlour and dairy and fitting a secondhand 9 or 10 unit parlour would be the best option, if the old machine can't be used or upgraded easily?
In a couple of years when the system is running and paying its way would be time enough to think about whether a parallel parlour might suit? For a 10 unit parlour, it's the price of a 20 unit parlour and twice the wash volume and cost.
I'd stay with a standard herringbone 10 unit and maybe a small roof extension at the back to keep the rain off while you're milking. With 10 units, you'll milk a lot of cows in an hour.

Starting off, you'd want to keep costs as low as possible so maybe fixing/reroofing the parlour and dairy and fitting a secondhand 9 or 10 unit parlour would be the best option, if the old machine can't be used or upgraded easily?
In a couple of years when the system is running and paying its way would be time enough to think about whether a parallel parlour might suit? For a 10 unit parlour, it's the price of a 20 unit parlour and twice the wash volume and cost.
I'd stay with a standard herringbone 10 unit and maybe a small roof extension at the back to keep the rain off while you're milking. With 10 units, you'll milk a lot of cows in an hour.
Theres no room to go back any further without taking away from collecting yard. I had thoughts about getting a second hand 8 unit for d existing shed. I want to make it as efficient as possible as i work 40 hours and cant afford to give it up for a few years yet

D father quit milking a couple of years ago i was working in d states at d time. Hes willing to get back in with me. We have a 9 unit parlour in now it started as a 4 unit back in d day and 2 were added to d back in d 90s and 3 more to d front early 2000s. It would just be my father or me milking wed be aiming for 50 cows in a few years could start around 30 for d first year. Land is all in 1 block about 80 to 85 acres
Who buys the milk in your area or who were you supplying in the past?

As rusty has said above , keep your spending as low as possible .
80 to 85 acres of land .
Milking 60 or 70 cows on your own land , and rear a few replacements is quite feasible.
Forget about renting ground . Insanity is the best description of the prices being paid , if around here is anything to go by .
8 runs of 9 cows is 72 , current set up that s a grand number for it .
If you decide to build , a calf house will be built cheaper than a parlour. Providing location suits now . Feeding area behind parlour , equals collecting yard .
Calf housing . You will hardly be rearing anymore than 12 to 15 heifer replacements ? If you rear more , cow numbers may take a hit ?
From personal experience, a meal bin and feeders , and milk tank with auto washer , will save more time , than an extra unit or two in the parlour .

Fancy parlour won't put more money in your pocket .
Like has been said in the tillage forum ,
If there was an open day in Kellys Of Borris , there would be hundreds of farmers there , drooling over shiny paint.
If there was a crop walk, there wouldn't be 20 people present .
Which day out would make the bigger difference to potential profit ?

Theres no room to go back any further without taking away from collecting yard. I had thoughts about getting a second hand 8 unit for d existing shed. I want to make it as efficient as possible as i work 40 hours and cant afford to give it up for a few years yet
Do you really need to go milking if you already have a full time job or are you just getting in because every one else is doing it?

As rusty has said above , keep your spending as low as possible .
80 to 85 acres of land .
Milking 60 or 70 cows on your own land , and rear a few replacements is quite feasible.
Forget about renting ground . Insanity is the best description of the prices being paid , if around here is anything to go by .
8 runs of 9 cows is 72 , current set up that s a grand number for it .
If you decide to build , a calf house will be built cheaper than a parlour. Providing location suits now . Feeding area behind parlour , equals collecting yard .
Calf housing . You will hardly be rearing anymore than 12 to 15 heifer replacements ? If you rear more , cow numbers may take a hit ?
From personal experience, a meal bin and feeders , and milk tank with auto washer , will save more time , than an extra unit or two in the parlour .

Fancy parlour won't put more money in your pocket .
Like has been said in the tillage forum ,
If there was an open day in Kellys Of Borris , there would be hundreds of farmers there , drooling over shiny paint.
If there was a crop walk, there wouldn't be 20 people present .
Which day out would make the bigger difference to potential profit ?
I woudlnt have much interest in renting land id rather have a few less animals on hands. I should have mentioned earlier in d thread i wouldnt be going for a new parlour id rather a second hand unit bells and whistles dont bother me here ease of use and it working good is all that would matter.

Do you really need to go milking if you already have a full time job or are you just getting in because every one else is doing it?
It doesnt bother what other lads are doing i can see d way some lads are spending theyl be broke. I know of a farmer that expanded a good bit and now cant afford his repayments doesnt know what to do apparently. I can see myself leaving my job in a few years id like to have something to fall back on and be my own boss. Factory work doesnt suit me great to be honest

Back