Milking parlour

One of 1st round here to put a robot in has now got a 10/20 swing over and an old friend has dropped his 6 robots in favour of a rapid exit parlour,they don’t suit everyone,well Lely and co make the most money out of them.

If i could get d finance id love to put in a robot. There would always be some1 around here. Id have to look into them more before id start deciding to go that route
I think you have to be really on top of your game for grass measurement and allocation if you're putting in robots and mostly grazing. It's the shortage of grass every 8 hours, and not before, that drive the cows to the robot and onto the next paddock.

I'd love to get a breakdown of why lads moved away from robots but I doubt the different companies would supply the reasons.

Milking 96 cows in a 12 unit dairy master parlour with jars at peak takes 2.5 + hours all in.just curious to know what how long it takes other lads and sizes of parlours etc ..?

35 seconds per cow including washing here. Length of time in seconds divided by no of cows.
Your figure podge works out at 94 seconds per cow.

12 unit fullwood here with jars. All in from entering the parlour, getting cows in from paddock to leaving parlour ready for the evening takes 1 hour 30 minutes to milk 84 cows. All going into tank so no holdups.

Milking 96 cows in a 12 unit dairy master parlour with jars at peak takes 2.5 + hours all in.just curious to know what how long it takes other lads and sizes of parlours etc ..?
Is that both milking or just one? It's not bad for both milkings.

Sorry yes I am including bringing in cows from field to closing them out again .
So 1.5 hours for milking and another hour for washing machine parlour and bringing in and out cows .
Well it's under 2 hours this time of year .

It takes me similar 48 cows in a 6 unit ,the bringing in the cows changing the fence is the time killer for me the cows have a long walk for more then half the rotation it is just so much faster when they are near the parlour maybe the neighbour might swap fields with me!!!

Sorry yes I am including bringing in cows from field to closing them out again .
So 1.5 hours for milking and another hour for washing machine parlour and bringing in and out cows .
Well it's under 2 hours this time of year .
That's a lot of time for just milking?
Our routine is wet the floors and walls, drop the units, open the gate and let the cows up, switch on the feeder, walk back along the cows to tip them up, close the gate, feed and switch on the machine.
Put units on slow cows first, then the rest and leave in the other side.

Walk up the parlour to tip up the cows, turn on the pump to pump out water, put the line in the tank, switch on water and pump onto automatic and walk down to close the second gate and feed.

The first units should be off so let the first 2 up and put on the first cow. Let the milk from the third unit up while putting on the second and so on.

When putting on the 10th unit, open the gate and let them off and the last cow should be well on her way by the time the 16th unit is going on.

We wash each unit and let up the milk while washing as the last row is milking and wash down the walls and floors while the machine is washing for 10 minutes.

The longer the cows are in the yard, the more shite to clean and the longer the cows are milking, the more shite in the parlour to wash off.

Any of yee singing to to the cows to help relax them and help productivity 😊
Nobody asked what was involved for the time,
Predipping , drying , stripping out milking , dipping again or spraying and number of units and acrs
It's like specing a machine you have to compare like for like and the some are in no hurry milking and others its a flittering match.

I know a guy how re did up his old parlour modernised it and added a couple of units and was peed off cos he wasn't saving time on milking. Even got the manufactures out and everything. Turned out his milking procedure was all over the place.
That's the thing, really. The milking routine is hugely important. We would rarely wash a cow, they're drawn once a day and there's no cluster dipping and such. Dry wipe if necessary, draw left in the morning, right in the evening and that's done while getting the cluster in place for putting it on. We would draw them all during spring before they go out or for a week after calving but unless there's one with a high scc, cluster on and move onto the next. We feed a small bit of meal all year to encourage the cows in, we would only go into the yard for cows in the last 2 rounds and then only when the last unit is on and we need 2 or 3 cows to fill the row.

I enjoy milking but I don't want to be there all day either.

I'm wondering what your typical routine would be, Podge?

Also is he milking on his own? Get my dad or the kids to bring in cows here in the evening. Saves a bit of time

35 seconds per cow including washing here. Length of time in seconds divided by no of cows.
Your figure podge works out at 94 seconds per cow.

Interesting calculation. Works out roughly 42sec here the morning and 33sec evening (cows milked at 15 and 9hours intervals), main hold up here though is cows need to cross a public laneway or road 2/3s of the time so I've to keep them in holding yard until end of milking. 14unit parlour, if I had 18 or 20 units I'd probably knock that down to your level, but I'm unlikely to bother with that.

Interesting calculation. Works out roughly 42sec here the morning and 33sec evening (cows milked at 15 and 9hours intervals), main hold up here though is cows need to cross a public laneway or road 2/3s of the time so I've to keep them in holding yard until end of milking. 14unit parlour, if I had 18 or 20 units I'd probably knock that down to your level, but I'm unlikely to bother with that.
My figure does not include bringing them in and out tho. I’m referring to the minute I walk into the parlour to start to the minute I hit the wash button. It’s at peak I’m talking about, it’s a lot less these days.

Slightly off topic Somedays I am getting aches in my hands and forearm ,are lightweight cluster/claws any advantage
I only do relief milking but the majority of mine have the big heavy Delaval cluster and its like a holiday going to the light modern dairymaster ones

Back