Milking parlours

podge 23

I have a 12 unit dairymaster parlour with jars and got a quote of €9,500 to put in a standalone dump line,I am wondering if I went for a new parlour should I go for jars or no jars?

When I built my first 12/24 I put direct line in and bought some clip on milk meters,only did a year then bought new wesfalia milk meters,now done 16 years without jars no way would I ever go back,far less clutter and easier to keep clean.

We had jars then moved to dairymaster weigh cells.
It’s a 16 unit but uses 200 litres per rinse and 100 with each wash. That’s 500 litres per wash. It seemed a huge ramp up from our 8 unit with jars. Was told plastic takes more washing than jars/glass.

Be interesting to hear what others say.
Depends on what you want at the end of the day; our parlour was setup to feed to yield.
Do you want a simple parlour or is getting yield information important to your set up??

I use 200litres to hot wash and 100litres cold rinse,32 units,wesfalia measuring flasks are only small.

Only do hot wash and air blast in a morning,nights do a quick rinse at that's all,never missed being below 30 bacto top band.

Jars are a total waste of time in a new parlour. And thats mental money for a dumpline, think I was quoted 3600 to put in a dumpline in the 14unit here, dumpline would of come with its own 3 sets of clusters etc.

Work has a relatively new parlour 7/8 yrs old . And went for jars as always had jars and like them . Now I don't milk the cows but from being in the parlour giving the odd hand and taking milk out of the pit for calves and such . There a balls of a job in a pit . They take up too much space and besides the jar you have to deal with the pipe work for hanging up / washing the clusters . Compare it to a parlour with swing over arms of any make . The room you have to move from one end of the pit to the other is pretty much unhindered in a swing over . Compared to jars where you have to duck / move every hose to get to a cow at the far end if she kicks off the clusters . Now that's the opinion of lay man looking at different parlours in use .

Tim 818 when did u put in that dump line,was it a standalone,and was it a fullwood dump line?
The price I got was for a fullwood dumpline where you plug in the cluster to a separate line.

I still haven't put it in ha,just using 2 dump buckets and I curse myself every calving season that I haven't done anything, but then forget about it rest of the yr ha. That was a Gascoigne Btw.

When did you get that quote for the dumpline Tim?it is alot of money I think dairymaster were maybe a €1,000 less,but still alot for a dumpline..

What do lads recommend for walls of a dairy?

Mate of mine is building a new one.
Isn't keen on fibre glass and has seen plastic tongue and groove but thinks it might be too fragile?

What do lads recommend for walls of a dairy?

Mate of mine is building a new one.
Isn't keen on fibre glass and has seen plastic tongue and groove but thinks it might be too fragile?

I've plastic hygienic cladding on my parlour and its far from fragile,easy to fit yourself and easy to clean.

Reactions: AYF
https://www.brooksgroup.ie/building...it/homeline-soffitt-300mm-x-5m-pvc-white.html
Is this the type of stuff you are thinking on, it is tough enough, it would depend on the support behind it, as long as the cows are not going to be bumping into it there should be no problem.

That's used for underdrawing ceilings,too many grooves to hold shite.

This is the stuff https://claddingmonkey.co.uk/produc...4DHow9vJNYHeqK69nC-ea0dpDyVh3gxMaAirnEALw_wcB

I used 3m X 1.2m sheets.

So lads not sure what to do with my milking parlour, either put a dumpline into the 1 I have with jars or look at putting in a new milking machine without jars into the same space?

Ya
So lads not sure what to do with my milking parlour, either put a dumpline into the 1 I have with jars or look at putting in a new milking machine without jars into the same space?
Maybe you should be asking yourself what can you afford and what can be done without !

You may have answered this already but are you split calving?
To be honest I think you'd be cracked to have a dumpline and jars. Overcomplicating things, u already have a handy way of catching dump milk in the jars can't see why you'd want another way aswell.
If going for a new parlour I would be in favour of no jars and maybe a dumpline if your holding out cows all year round. If not I'd be going for kiss there too and not bother if it's a big expense.

No spring calving.ya the jars do catch the milk alright,but I have to divide the fresh cows out of the not so fresh cows outside the door before they come in which is very dangerous and time consuming this is why i am on about the dumpline.

Keep your money in your pocket.
Cows milked here with jars.
Milk dropped into a half barrel with wheels and moved along....submersible pump dropped into barrel to lift the milk from the pit.
Cows well marked that's being kept out.

Keep your money in your pocket.
Cows milked here with jars.
Milk dropped into a half barrel with wheels and moved along....submersible pump dropped into barrel to lift the milk from the pit.
Cows well marked that's being kept out.

Some form of mini tail lift would be handy to drop a milk taxi into the pit,would save messing with a pump.

Milked for a chap once who tied a knot of paper towel round the control handle on the jar to stop you emptying it,very simple and effective.

Reactions: Paw
No spring calving.ya the jars do catch the milk alright,but I have to divide the fresh cows out of the not so fresh cows outside the door before they come in which is very dangerous and time consuming this is why i am on about the dumpline.
Well you can't keep doing that. That's hardship, I don't really follow your process though. Is it only to hold out fresh calvers in the spring and high cell count cows occasionally? If so why not plaster a bit of marker on them for the few days and just drop that milk into cans out of the jars as the lads have said?
I think you have mentioned before about handling difficulties in a shed too with dividing cows... hope it's you anyway. No milking parlour is going to fix that for you, id be spending a few Bob sorting that and leave the parlour for now .

Also milk in as many parlour as you can in the meantime. Helps to think outside the box

Back