Milking parlours

The 12/24 is about the only one of them parlours that not having removers would be ok. What's the largest size of them parlours can one man milk in? I assume any sort of double up over 12units gets very tricky, acrs or not?

I got a price today from fullwood for a new 12 unit milking machine with dumpline and acrs €50,000 vat included. Can get 40% grant on new machine and vat back so roughly I would get back €15,000.
That's option 1.

Option 2.
Put dumpline into existing milking parlour (which is a 12 unit dairymaster jar plant),and cluster removers cost = €17,000

All thoughts welcome.

I got a price today from fullwood for a new 12 unit milking machine with dumpline and acrs €50,000 vat included. Can get 40% grant on new machine and vat back so roughly I would get back €15,000.
That's option 1.

Option 2.
Put dumpline into existing milking parlour (which is a 12 unit dairymaster jar plant),and cluster removers cost = €17,000

All thoughts welcome.
Check your figures there think you’d get back around 23.5 k with vat at 13.5 and getting back 40% of the ex vat price. As in your new parkour would cost you 26.5.

Does the 17k for the DM include or exclude vat? How old is that parlour, are you happy with it other than the lack of a dumpline and acrs? Do you have any other investment plans for the 80k tams?

If you have the room an extra couple of units will make a big impact on your milking speed. If you went from 2'6" to 2'2" you would shorten up the row an fit another few in. The ACR's alone will free up one person to do other jobs so would be the biggest benefit.

The 17k includes vat I think.
The parlour is about 20 years old.
Yes happy enough with it we changed heavy claw pieces to the light 1's and we think some cows are not milking out so well in the 2 front quarters since we did.
No other plans the milking parlour is the main 1 really.

How many are you milking @podge 23 ??

Would you consider going for a robot? With labour shortages not set to get any better I reckon they are the future for dairy farming

That's option 1.

Option 2.

All thoughts welcome.

Are you planning on going from an existing 12/24 to a new 12/24? If you are it would be a pointless move imo. Put as many units in as possible, regardless of existing cow numbers. You could buy a secondhand unit and salvage a lot of your existing parlour, do away with the jars. I'd put in 20 units and leave room for further units to be added. Personally I wouldn't bother with a dump line unless it's coming at handy money.

I have yet to meet someone that wishes milking took longer. Also don't listen to anyone that says one man can't handle anymore than 12-14 units.

Are you planning on going from an existing 12/24 to a new 12/24? If you are it would be a pointless move imo. Put as many units in as possible, regardless of existing cow numbers. You could buy a secondhand unit and salvage a lot of your existing parlour, do away with the jars. I'd put in 20 units and leave room for further units to be added. Personally I wouldn't bother with a dump line unless it's coming at handy money.

I have yet to meet someone that wishes milking took longer. Also don't listen to anyone that says one man can't handle anymore than 12-14 units.
Put in a second hand 20 unit here at 2 foot 2 inch centres. Straight rump bar and straight troughs. Manual gates front and back that will be upgraded to air eventually. The only thing is there is always more than 20 in the row, usually 24 or 25. Would have to put in sequential bailing to fix that. Not a big deal at the moment as usually 3 rows and finished. The units are 3 spans long with a span at the front for them to walk out.
It was a lot cheaper than a new 12 or 14 unit.

Put in a second hand 20 unit here at 2 foot 2 inch centres. Straight rump bar and straight troughs. Manual gates front and back that will be upgraded to air eventually. The only thing is there is always more than 20 in the row, usually 24 or 25. Would have to put in sequential bailing to fix that. Not a big deal at the moment as usually 3 rows and finished. The units are 3 spans long with a span at the front for them to walk out.

Is it all heifers you're milking this year?

We have 2’2” here as well and we were getting too many cows in regularly, although nothing like as bad as that

What we did was make the entrance smaller, created a kind of funnel 1 cow wide so they came in single file. It’s very rare now we’d have an extra cow in the row, and it was a crap and simple fix

Is it all heifers you're milking this year?

We have 2’2” here as well and we were getting too many cows in regularly, although nothing like as bad as that

What we did was make the entrance smaller, created a kind of funnel 1 cow wide so they came in single file. It’s very rare now we’d have an extra cow in the row, and it was a crap and simple fix

Ya all heifers, now that they're bigger there's less in the row, but still 22 or 23, used to be 28. Handy thing in hindsight was that they couldn't move much as they were squeezed in with their legs up against the bar. Only had real problems with one. The plan would be to put in those pivoting airgates at the back that would make them come in in single file. Tbh its not a big deal with a small number of rows as its as handy milk an extra 8 as 2. Once you get to the end you go back and put the clusters on the ones you skipped as you swing over the rest. With a large number of rows it would slow you down alright. The sequential bailing I think is around €1,500 a unit, someday maybe.

Reactions: KJL
Yes KJL if I was going with a new milking machine it would be a 12/24 in the same shed as where the old 1 was and the reason being is I would have to change every thing in the yard if I were to move to a new site which would cost a fortune.
As for the jars if I was putting in a new machine I could do away with them but they are handy for recording and beastings.
Every 1 I talk to seems to have a dump line.

Reactions: KJL
If buying a new milking machine what makes are best?

My preference in order.

Gea (shocking dealers here in Lancs)

Delaval (great dealer)

Bomatic (ex gea dealer taken franchise)

Fulwood (crap dealer)

Dairymaster (no dealer they last one went bust)

Yep jars waste of money, waste of space. waste of time, waste of vacuum, waste of water washing, less reliable (they break!!) , all them disadvantages for the one single advantage of you can see what see milked.

Back