milkshake

Yup, using it here. Even the world's most sceptical ould lad admitted that it's good stuff the other day. Small calves working on 6 litres a day here no problem and thriving very well on it.

Used it myself on young calves for a couple of years. Didn't bother using it last year or this year and I'm having no problems. Good hygiene a gradual build up of volumes and you can lash it into em. It's expensive stuff grand if you can do without but would be a first port of call if I was having bother.

The big advantage with the milkshake is that you can feed more milk than normal and replace meal with milk with the result of putting on a lot of condition on the calf. Now, there are pros and cons for this, but with a balanced diet of straw and concentrate, feeding the extra bit of milk certainly makes a big difference to their performance. 3 week old calves getting 3.5 litres twice a day here.

well lads, a week into using milkshake and things seem to be going well. one thing i have noticed though, one or two calves showing a bit of blood in their dung. they're not sick or anything. spoke to the vet today about dung samples we sent away last week and nothing showed up out of the norm.

well lads, a week into using milkshake and things seem to be going well. one thing i have noticed though, one or two calves showing a bit of blood in their dung. they're not sick or anything. spoke to the vet today about dung samples we sent away last week and nothing showed up out of the norm.

Were they tested for coccidiosis. ?

Bull calves here 5 weeks old drinking 4 litres of milkshake a feed with no problems. You'd be bored waiting on them to finish!!

it seems to be good stuff alright.I've a mix of hereford bulls and heifers here getting 4litres a feed.going to push them up to 5 this week.probably sell them in a weeks time.

When are you going to sell them. Did you keep them all this year?
Keeping only heifers this year. Well, two bulls to vasectomise to run with heifers. The rest are going. Sold 30 already, and waiting on both BVD samples and genomic samples from studs to come back to get more going.

Milkshake, why not make yogurt milk instead it costs only a tub of yogurt and keeps calves healthy.

I tried yogurt once, it was a bit of a hassle. Perhaps for anyone over quota it might be an idea, but the milkshake can be added to either whole milk or powdered milk. I started mixing it with my powdered milk this year (even though the powder milk contains yogurt) and calves are flying.

Started on them Monday, had a bit of a scour issue so I'll see does that do anything for me going forward

[MENTION=4408]Blackwater boy[/MENTION]
I think its only for calves but ill be interested to hear the results!!!!!

[MENTION=4408]Blackwater boy[/MENTION]
I think its only for calves but ill be interested to hear the results!!!!! ��

Gave the weekend in Nottingham on a stag so I've half a bucket and 10 sachets of lectade downed today-seems to be having zero effect so far!!!

Back