Mobile sheep yard

eire23

Anyone on here using mobile sheep yards? Something along the lines of prattley or rappa or alligator?
Got the go ahead for a tams 60% grant and although them ones are dear the grant makes it far more affordable. Was looking at the sheepeze and it's a good bit cheaper than the aluminum yards but heavier gates for setting up and they don't pull out as easy for setting up like the prattley or rappa.

Last couple of years I had sheep I had a Stanley mobile sheep race and pen.
Absolute God sent, I would not dream of having sheep without one.

Anyone on here using mobile sheep yards? Something along the lines of prattley or rappa or alligator?
Got the go ahead for a tams 60% grant and although them ones are dear the grant makes it far more affordable. Was looking at the sheepeze and it's a good bit cheaper than the aluminum yards but heavier gates for setting up and they don't pull out as easy for setting up like the prattley or rappa.

Last couple of years I had sheep I had a Stanley mobile sheep race and pen.
Absolute God sent, I would not dream of having sheep without one.

The Stanley Sheepeeze is made within a mile of me here , by a family company with 3 or 4 others employed .
I often see the father , in his seventies with a large group of sheep gathered up into a pen that he put together in a very short space of time , in a field somewhere away from a yard . It strikes me as a brilliant piece of equipment.
I bought a dozen of the gates last year . I actually penned off a corner to put a new born calf under a red bulb into this morning using 2 of the 5ft gates .

I might finally get away from pallets and baler twine. 🤔

The Stanley Sheepeeze is made within a mile of me here , by a family company with 3 or 4 others employed .
I often see the father , in his seventies with a large group of sheep gathered up into a pen that he put together in a very short space of time , in a field somewhere away from a yard . It strikes me as a brilliant piece of equipment.
I bought a dozen of the gates last year . I actually penned off a corner to put a new born calf under a red bulb into this morning using 2 of the 5ft gates .

I might finally get away from pallets and baler twine. 🤔
George is a gentleman.
Nothing wrong with Pallets and twine, Upcylcing, the in thing these days.

I was chatting george on the phone before, I think thats the father? A very nice man to chat with and very helpful.
What I'm wondering is the aluminum yard worth the extra over the steel yard.

I was chatting george on the phone before, I think thats the father? A very nice man to chat with and very helpful.
What I'm wondering is the aluminum yard worth the extra over the steel yard.
I couldn't see much advantage in the aluminum yard, unless you are going to be mainly towing it behind a quad.
Stanley's setup with a full set of long gates would be heavy on a quad long-term. Other than that steel all the way for me and a local company, hard not to support them.

I’ve 20 Scotpen ally hurdles that I transport either side of the ramp for my combi clamp,good hurdles but between me buying the 1st 10 they changed the length of them. :cursing:

I’m not sure what the trailed Scotpen system is like,I know the hurdles are strong and higher than other manufacturers.

Rappa would be the most popular over here.

We have a sheperdsmate here, it is a very handy tool and saves a lot of time. Prattley are the king of them but they Aren’t cheap.

I have the Stanley "combination" here. It works well but the sliding gates on the clamp are poorly done. Some of the fabricating isn't "square" either, although a few people that have seen it have said that the galvanising may have caused that problem

I like the idea of the alloy gates that all fold out together like a concertina and are light and can be dragged along. That's one thing about the sheepeeze I wouldn't be gone on. But having used neither with sheep I can't say if there is a definite advantage. I do like the look of the rappa though. Seems to be a british version of the prattley. If I was buying one I'd get a go of setting the yard up but you probably can't do that the way restrictions have gone these days.

I like the idea of the alloy gates that all fold out together like a concertina and are light and can be dragged along. That's one thing about the sheepeeze I wouldn't be gone on. But having used neither with sheep I can't say if there is a definite advantage. I do like the look of the rappa though. Seems to be a british version of the prattley. If I was buying one I'd get a go of setting the yard up but you probably can't do that the way restrictions have gone these days.
Rappa will let you have a yard on demo over here,I'm sure they'd do the same over the water.

Thanks for the replies ladsđź‘Ť The way the alloy gates fold out like a concertina is a big plus, makes it far easier to set up and not fiddling with drop pins and gates.
Rang rappa again this morning and they are not going to be able to supply a 250 ewe yard to Ireland for the next six months. Must be a similar scheme running to tams running in the UK and their up to their eyes apparently. Prattley coming in at rougly 1900 dearer than the sheepeze. If things were right it would be ideal to look at the different setups working.

Thanks for the replies ladsđź‘Ť The way the alloy gates fold out like a concertina is a big plus, makes it far easier to set up and not fiddling with drop pins and gates.
Rang rappa again this morning and they are not going to be able to supply a 250 ewe yard to Ireland for the next six months. Must be a similar scheme running to tams running in the UK and their up to their eyes apparently. Prattley coming in at rougly 1900 dearer than the sheepeze. If things were right it would be ideal to look at the different setups working.
Yes there’s a small grant on productivity,mobile yards are one of the items.

ÂŁ1000 would buy an insane amount of hurdles. A few sheeted and end gates for a race and you could set up a mobile yard off a flatbed trailer in no time!?

Just a bit of a update, went ahead and ordered the prattley 10ft mobile yard, hopefully have it in April sometime as there was none in stock. Getting the 60% grant I decided if I didn't go for the aluminum yard now I never would. Hopefully add a few bits to it over time.

Last edited:
Just a bit of a update, went ahead and ordered the prattley 10ft mobile yard, hopefully have it in April sometime as there was none in stock. Getting the 60% grant I decided if I didn't go for the aluminum yard now I never would. Hopefully add a few bits to it over time.
Great to hear you got sorted. Did you get a chance to look at any yards in person? Looking forward to the pictures.
:postpics:

Great to hear you got sorted. Did you get a chance to look at any yards in person? Looking forward to the pictures.
:postpics:
I didn't, most of the company's had videos on YouTube of them setting the yards up so had to make do with that.looking forward to using it now.

Lifting a prattley gate is like lifting an empty kettle thinking it’s full. Well wear.

Another bit of a update to this!... cancelled the order for the prattley. Was meant to be here this month but that got pushed out to July time and no guarantee of it being delivered for certain then because of the way trade is gone.
So rang Stanley's as I think they are the best of the steel yards and went for the sheepeze. Should have it in two/three weeks time. As was said above, very sound people to deal with!

Another bit of a update to this!... cancelled the order for the prattley. Was meant to be here this month but that got pushed out to July time and no guarantee of it being delivered for certain then because of the way trade is gone.
So rang Stanley's as I think they are the best of the steel yards and went for the sheepeze. Should have it in two/three weeks time. As was said above, very sound people to deal with!

Are they delivering it to you , or have you to collect it ?

Back