Mosa welder generator

jc1160

Hi all, a friend of mine got the job of clearing out a industrial unit that used to be rented by engineering company but they have long since gone. There was a mosa welder ts300sc left there. The owner of the unit did not want it so my friend got it. When he got it home the engine would run but there was no electrical output. I then brought it from my friends house to my shed and I tried it and I was able to weld away with it. Brought it up to the farm the next day and it would not weld or provide any power at the sockets. Got the brother in law who is a sparks to look at it and he tested various components and cleaned all connectors but cannot get any output from the generator. He reckons the generator section needs to be replaced. Does anybody know of anywhere that these could be reconditioned? Don't want to spend mad money on it but we would like to get it going if not too expensive.

Hi all, a friend of mine got the job of clearing out a industrial unit that used to be rented by engineering company but they have long since gone. There was a mosa welder ts300sc left there. The owner of the unit did not want it so my friend got it. When he got it home the engine would run but there was no electrical output. I then brought it from my friends house to my shed and I tried it and I was able to weld away with it. Brought it up to the farm the next day and it would not weld or provide any power at the sockets. Got the brother in law who is a sparks to look at it and he tested various components and cleaned all connectors but cannot get any output from the generator. He reckons the generator section needs to be replaced. Does anybody know of anywhere that these could be reconditioned? Don't want to spend mad money on it but we would like to get it going if not too expensive.

brushes on the genny are sticking:001_unsure:

I think Armal products used to sell Mosa welders there was a heap of them sold at their closing down Auction . Try Issac Coe of Ridge Power Washers Old Leighlin he is very reasonable to deal with .
059 9721413 . If he does not know what is wrong with it I will eat my hat

I think Armal products used to sell Mosa welders there was a heap of them sold at their closing down Auction . Try Issac Coe of Ridge Power Washers Old Leighlin he is very reasonable to deal with .
popcorn.gif

There's most likely to be a long output shaft on the engine which is specific to generator use, engines intended for pulley driven stuff like wackers have a keyed parallel shaft, where the drive goes into a gearbox they have a taper shaft and for generators it's a taper shaft with a great long threaded bar that goes through the centre of the alternator.

If the fault is intermittent then it's likely to be a bad connection rather than a burn out or a diode fault, in my non expert opinion, i do remember that mosa alternators had the diodes cast into a resin bar on the commutator, or something like that, which meant you could only repair a diode fault by buying the bit from mosa at enormous expense, rather than simply getting a new diode from RS for a few pence.

You are right about armal selling them! I never thought of Issac, he repaired power washer for me before.

Basil seal is correct about the shaft as there is no rubber coupling between engine and alternator. We checked all connections but could find no faults with any of them.

this company sell mosa welders, may be able to help:cool:

The MW Hire Group
Head Office
Unit 14
Urlingford Business Park,
Urlingford,
County Killkenny,
T: 056 8831418
F: 056 8831493
E: info@mwhire.com

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I’m after buying a Mosa TS200 Plus (old, non electronic model). Picked it up very cheap as it’s not welding or generating. I took it apart there yesterday and looked over all the wiring and tested connections. All seems good on that front.
I got my hands on a manual and seemingly they’re a 3 phase generator so use a 3x80uF delta connected capacitor so I’ve no way of testing that.
I did check for power coming to the capacitors and there’s nothing coming up there. After a good look in the manual it’s suggesting a problem with the stator, which would make sense to me as it’s not putting out power on either the welder or generator end. I’m going to price a new stator on Monday for it.
There’s no brushes in it that I can see after having it all apart, so I don’t think it can be anything like stuck brushes and can’t be ‘flashed’ either. It looks very similar to a 3 phase induction motor when taken apart.
Just wondering if anyone has come across anything similar with a welder/generator before I go splashing out. Rewinding may also be an option if a new one is very dear.

Also, there’s a diode blown in the welder rectifier. Can these be replaced or am I looking at getting a full new rectifier in it? I have a rectifier out of a Mig that I can steal parts out of if they can be changed.

Any help is much appreciated. TIA

May be no harm in giving Carey tools in cork a ring. They are a distributor of mosa plants always found them helpful and have parts in stock.
Will give them a shout for sure. Apparently KPH in Galway sell them so will give them a shout as well

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I’m after buying a Mosa TS200 Plus (old, non electronic model). Picked it up very cheap as it’s not welding or generating. I took it apart there yesterday and looked over all the wiring and tested connections. All seems good on that front.
I got my hands on a manual and seemingly they’re a 3 phase generator so use a 3x80uF delta connected capacitor so I’ve no way of testing that.
I did check for power coming to the capacitors and there’s nothing coming up there. After a good look in the manual it’s suggesting a problem with the stator, which would make sense to me as it’s not putting out power on either the welder or generator end. I’m going to price a new stator on Monday for it.
There’s no brushes in it that I can see after having it all apart, so I don’t think it can be anything like stuck brushes and can’t be ‘flashed’ either. It looks very similar to a 3 phase induction motor when taken apart.
Just wondering if anyone has come across anything similar with a welder/generator before I go splashing out. Rewinding may also be an option if a new one is very dear.

Also, there’s a diode blown in the welder rectifier. Can these be replaced or am I looking at getting a full new rectifier in it? I have a rectifier out of a Mig that I can steal parts out of if they can be changed.

Any help is much appreciated. TIA
I'm dont know what your plans are for it, but I often used hired Mosa's on welding jobs . There a lovely machine to weld with. Lots of power and very smooth.
It would be well worth spending a few bob on if you intend keeping it.

Stators tend to go in them, a friend had two before. When he priced fixing them it was cheaper to buy something else.

His were being borrowed the whole time too so when the second one calved he didn't replace it.

Lovely sizzle to the arc off one of them, a joy to burn rods

Cheers lads. Will try pricing a rewind while I’m at it and see. Not many places rewinding motors any more I believe, but will try and get onto a few and see.
I’m intending on keeping it @mixed fleet. I was on the lookout for a good genny to run a welder for a while but wouldn’t be doing near enough work to justify giving good money. This came up locally and when I saw it was a Mosa I figured even if it cost a bit to put right it would be worth it. If I got her going and an offer I couldn’t refuse was made I’d sell it and buy something a bit fresher maybe but the intention at the minute is to keep it for my own use. There are a couple of bigger diesel ones at work and despite the abuse they get and the age they are, they seem to just keep going.
I don’t mind lending some things to some people but would be a bit particular about what and who @JohnBoy. Welders are something that I always refused to lend anyone. This will be no exception.
This particular one is an 11hp petrol (Honda GX340). Petrols in general wouldn’t be known for being exactly economic but I believe the 11s were a lot easier on juice than the 13hp Hondas. For all I’ll be doing with it anyway it’ll be the finest

Isn't there a fella somewhere around Kilmeaden , Co Wexford who fixes/sells handysize gennys and welders ?

There is a lad down here that would be worth a shout. carbery rewinds down in @c4l country. He is top notch and would have diaodes ect in stock
place in mallow would do it alright (cant think of the name). my old man was thinking of sending the genny we have her up there to get fixed. dad many moons ago had taken the ol' oil cooled welder we have to bandon. mind you, his pockets were left hurting after that repair.

place in mallow would do it alright (cant think of the name). my old man was thinking of sending the genny we have her up there to get fixed. dad many moons ago had taken the ol' oil cooled welder we have to bandon. mind you, his pockets were left hurting after that repair.
Are you thinking of Avonmore electrical? They are on the side of Mallow to Killarney road. Big outfit they do a lot of industrial stuff, probably not cheap but very good I’d expect.

Back