Mucky Manor Pics

Only starting calving here but should have a good burst of calves by this day week. This little cow is a second calver and this time around she's carrying twins. She comes from a long line twin bearers in my herd - her great grandmother was the first cow I bought when I first got my herd number. I have 3 of her full sisters in the herd as well as her mother and her grandmother. Last year from the 6 of them I had 3 sets of twins - they'd be an awful nuisance but for the fact that they are all great milky cows and well able to feed.

IMG_20220306_182537.jpg

If you had noting going wrong then you'd have loads of time. The problems take up most of your time. This lad was born on Sunday night and me very sick with covid. I managed to milk the cow and stomach tube him. I had him under the red light until Wednesday morning when he finally got the strength to stand. Stomach tubed him 3 times a day. Fed him this morning and was away for the day, when I came back my father told me that he was making a great offer at sucking. Caught the cow in the sculling gate and we are flying it.

While he has cost a lot in time, its great to have him alive. He was a twin and unfortunately the other one was born dead. But this lad alive is a win.

IMG_20220321_090240.jpg

IMG_20220325_204451.jpg

If you had noting going wrong then you'd have loads of time. The problems take up most of your time. This lad was born on Sunday night and me very sick with covid. I managed to milk the cow and stomach tube him. I had him under the red light until Wednesday morning when he finally got the strength to stand. Stomach tubed him 3 times a day. Fed him this morning and was away for the day, when I came back my father told me that he was making a great offer at sucking. Caught the cow in the sculling gate and we are flying it.

While he has cost a lot in time, its great to have him alive. He was a twin and unfortunately the other one was born dead. But this lad alive is a win.

View attachment 104479

View attachment 104480
Never a truer word said about the problems taking up time.

Every year in lambing we wind up with what feels like a load of problems. Untill you realise the easy ones were born, sucked and out in the field before you notice them!

Covid during a busy time is a sickner isn't it! Too tired to get over it quickly.
The track and trace woman was on to me that I shouldn't be working. I offered her the job of lambing because we had no one else! She soon understood!!

Thats looking very well.

What's the history with the grass itself ?
Its the ground I reseeded last July. I grazed it bare with a few light weanlings in February and march, seeded it and put on a splash of slurry in mid march. Its a field of 2 tales. Good deep soil on one side and rock within a few inches of the top on the other. The seed emerged well just after seeding but we had a few cold weeks in April where it just wasn't warm enough for it to grow and that then led into very dry conditions which wasn't good for the shallow soil. The grass grew above it though. So right now half the field is like this picture and the other half has clover that's 4 to 6 inches high and shaded from light by longer grass.

Its not the biggest problem in the world. From what I have read its a common problem after sowing. The main thing is that it is established. When the first cut is taken off it, the whole field of clover should grow together.

Lesson learned. I was too eager to get it done. I should have ate the meadow off in April and been sowing the clover into it in may when temperatures would be higher.

I should have taken a picture of the whole field. I have quite a good crop of grass that will be ready for cutting in about 2 weeks and all that it got was 1500g of slurry to the acre. P, K, and lime were good on it.

Feck the weather lads. It will come and all will be done. It always has and it always will. We had a very stressful 2 weeks here with some sh1t going on. Sleep has been poor and day to day has been crap. We finally got a handle on things in the last few days and last night I booked us 2 nights away, the kids to the grandparents and the dog to the kennel. I haven't sat down and enjoyed a pint in many many months. The Mrs is upstairs getting ready to go out for dinner and I'm enjoying a few cold ones while listening to 3 different hen nights having a singing battle in the hotel lobby. @Bencroy Derry is a lot more civilised than Carrick.

Its important to get away every once in a while and take some time out. The stress of life can get overshadow the important things and take the edge off your focus.

(I had a bit of a fall this morning while dosing cattle and think I might have cracked a rib so I'll be progressing onto southern comfort for pain relief in the later hours).

IMG_20220603_185253.jpg

Feck the weather lads. It will come and all will be done. It always has and it always will. We had a very stressful 2 weeks here with some sh1t going on. Sleep has been poor and day to day has been crap. We finally got a handle on things in the last few days and last night I booked us 2 nights away, the kids to the grandparents and the dog to the kennel. I haven't sat down and enjoyed a pint in many many months. The Mrs is upstairs getting ready to go out for dinner and I'm enjoying a few cold ones while listening to 3 different hen nights having a singing battle in the hotel lobby. @Bencroy Derry is a lot more civilised than Carrick.

Its important to get away every once in a while and take some time out. The stress of life can get overshadow the important things and take the edge off your focus.

(I had a bit of a fall this morning while dosing cattle and think I might have cracked a rib so I'll be progressing onto southern comfort for pain relief in the later hours).

View attachment 108114
Enjoy them! It sounds like they are well deserved! I don’t envy you with the cracked rib. A slow painful bugger for anyone trying to do anything

View attachment 108114
Great to get away muckey,as @c4l describes here as cowboy country,little does he know its truly a cowboy and hero's weekend 😅,crowds are starting to gather and seen a few fine cowgirls with cheque shirts and sorta long " panties " is the best way of describing the attire, tomorrow should be savage,and there all going to smell like cowboys, " hispec style " around town 😀, probably head out to Drumcoura tomorrow night.

Derry was always quiet and peaceful unless you decide to disturb the peace 😂 mucky
enjoy the dinner and the conversation and don't be looking round you at the " distractions " or temping hens on you ,which could really disturb the peace like the last time you reported, @jf850 may have something to say about it

Contractor just rang to say that he'll be baling first thing tomorrow morning. What time is that says I? 7am. Thinking to myself he'll be there at 6. I checked the camera and see that he has it parked under the canopy and ready to go.

Screenshot_20220606-220335.png

Back