Mucky Manor Pics

Is there really any need for coats? We've let calves out with wet navels before when we were very busy and they were grand.
It was a bit of an experiment. We wouldn't usually let calves out at the start of march. It would normally be the start of April and more. I think we get a lot more rain and wind in these parts than further south. The coats have kept calves dry and warm. I'm very happy with them and I think calves have thrived very well in them. Not to mention that they are much healthier in them. I'd be very confident that we will use them in the future.

This little fellow was born in the hospital field last Sunday. I was worried to leave him out - we have a dog that's bigger than him. But he's as fast as a greyhound today. IMG_20210324_173518.jpg

Wet day jobs. I got a handle into this hedge knife and one into a spade. I got it sharpened too. I'm ready for any wedding ...... or funeral

IMG_20210324_172549.jpg

This little fellow was born in the hospital field last Sunday. I was worried to leave him out - we have a dog that's bigger than him. But he's as fast as a greyhound today. View attachment 89349

Wet day jobs. I got a handle into this hedge knife and one into a spade. I got it sharpened too. I'm ready for any wedding ...... or funeral

View attachment 89350
A hedge knife?? That's a new one on me

Slashers around here too, what would be known as a hook would have lighter steel and would be almost semi circular with a much lighter handle and be used for cutting light hedge or grassy material.

I’d call that a slash hook, a bill hook is a short handled more rounded blade. Have some Pierces originals here.
The one in the pic is a pierce - bought some time in the 70s by my father in law.

At home we have a pierce bought by my grandfather in the 40s - a bit lighter than the one in the pic above. Forge made as opposed to factory made. It has very noticeable round hammered edges as opposed to the flat square edge on the blunt side of the one in the pic above. Also it is stamped Pierce Hedge Knife into the steel. I'm guessing that's why it has always been called a hedge knife around here.

I seem to have a 6th sense for cows calving these days. I woke before 4am and something was telling me to check the camera. This lad's head was out and I watched her push him the rest of the way.

Its good enough of a sight to see on the camera any morning. Might hold off a few days before he goes to grass with the cold weather and rain forecast in the coming days.

Screenshot_20210326-093347.png

The one in the pic is a pierce - bought some time in the 70s by my father in law.

At home we have a pierce bought by my grandfather in the 40s - a bit lighter than the one in the pic above. Forge made as opposed to factory made. It has very noticeable round hammered edges as opposed to the flat square edge on the blunt side of the one in the pic above. Also it is stamped Pierce Hedge Knife into the steel. I'm guessing that's why it has always been called a hedge knife around here.
My father in law was the general manager in Pierces, lots of pierce tools around here. Have a few new unstamped Pierce badges somewhere too...

My father in law was the general manager in Pierces, lots of pierce tools around here. Have a few new unstamped Pierce badges somewhere too...
Every metal tool and machine on every farm around here up to the mid 60's or early 70's was made by pierce. There's still finger bar mowers, tedders, rakers, and ploughs lost in the ditches on many farms. Forks, grapes, shovels, spades and hay knifes made by pierce were made to last a lifetime as opposed to hand tools nowadays that many throw away as soon as a handle breaks.

Back