Nash get the cheque book out...again

Are u in a hurry for a tractor? If not would u consider buying a project like what i done with my mccormick. I got a lad thats handy to do most of my tractor i bought all parts myself and brought them to him. I know a man that has done that with a few of his tractors and faired out well just took a bit if time and work to get them going but saved a lot of coin in d end. He knew his tractors were mechanically perfect as hed gone through them himself. Sometimes shiny paint can hide other problems
If you add every single euro up though, what you spent on buying the tractor, parts, and labour, will you be saving much?

Are u in a hurry for a tractor? If not would u consider buying a project like what i done with my mccormick. I got a lad thats handy to do most of my tractor i bought all parts myself and brought them to him. I know a man that has done that with a few of his tractors and faired out well just took a bit if time and work to get them going but saved a lot of coin in d end. He knew his tractors were mechanically perfect as hed gone through them himself. Sometimes shiny paint can hide other problems

Zero interest to be honest, I don't have the time or patience to be going around the country getting bits for a machine. New clutch, tyres, seat and that's about it to be honest.

I'd like to get something sorted soon (it should have been pre Covid this year :blushing:) but am prepared to see the winter out.

My biggest problem is as no name said, everyone wants the same thing.

I'm also of the type, the day you buy is the day you sell and also any yoke here I either know It's good to go when It's pulled out or else what little thing could go wrong whereas what you describe it would be in the back of my mind subconsciously that something is going to go.... And with no disrespect, the wear on your loader and the oil you changed would make me physically sick if that was my own.

I'm also no fan of shiny paint and prefer to see tractors in off farm condition. Sadly most dealers are now too enthusiastic with the spray gun.

There are plenty of scrap heaps around but most I see, they are priced about 50% too dear.

Zero interest to be honest, I don't have the time or patience to be going around the country getting bits for a machine. New clutch, tyres, seat and that's about it to be honest.

I'd like to get something sorted soon (it should have been pre Covid this year :blushing:) but am prepared to see the winter out.

My biggest problem is as no name said, everyone wants the same thing.

I'm also of the type, the day you buy is the day you sell and also any yoke here I either know It's good to go when It's pulled out or else what little thing could go wrong whereas what you describe it would be in the back of my mind subconsciously that something is going to go.... And with no disrespect, the wear on your loader and the oil you changed would make me physically sick if that was my own.

I'm also no fan of shiny paint and prefer to see tractors in off farm condition. Sadly most dealers are now too enthusiastic with the spray gun.

There are plenty of scrap heaps around but most I see, they are priced about 50% too dear.

Is there any scope for a bigger budget? Have it in mind here to upgrade the 5030. Anything descent that I have seen is €20k+. I have an off farm job like you and I believe that borrowing 20k over 5 years could he very efficient tax wise and along with my own tractor, that could put my budget closer to €30k. Its daunting enough to be borrowing that much money, but being able to write it off over 7 years will benefit you tax wise. I'm not advocating buying a tractor to keep your tax bill down, but you need a tractor, so spending efficiently is what you need to do. A higher budget could work out a cheaper tractor in the long run.

I saved a right few pound on mine. I still have cosmetic work to do but it wont stop it running. When i get d cosmetics done il still have saved a good bit of coin. Maybe I just got lucky with mine. D 1 thing i will say to any1 that does buy a tractor like i did is shop around and dont be afraid to go to breakers. I got quoted over 900 +vat for an orbital unit i brought mine to a breaker and got 1 from an 8360 that fitted d same for 300

I have never bought much value of a breaker, (except the breaker allot of people have communication problem with:scratchhead:) , breakers always looking for over 50% off the RRP. If you have a good relationship with a main dealer, would will be discounted a decent bit back from the RRP aswell.

Old saying is - all you buy of a breaker, is broken parts :laugh:

@nashmach would a white roof 8340 be of any interest? I know horsepower wise it's well beyond what you're asking for but they're not a very big or heavy tractor at the same time.

There's one in my local man's yard, could be a customer machine too, I can ask about it if you want. if it's for sale it'll have been well gone through. looks straight from 50 feet.

@nashmach would a white roof 8340 be of any interest? I know horsepower wise it's well beyond what you're asking for but they're not a very big or heavy tractor at the same time.

There's one in my local man's yard, could be a customer machine too, I can ask about it if you want. if it's for sale it'll have been well gone through. looks straight from 50 feet.
I cant see Nash buying an SLE, especially an early one, but I might be wrong!

Aß mucky says maybe if you have the 14k in hand you might be as well up the budget to 24000. Repayments on 10 over 5 years would probably be 2400 a year. And if you're in the higher rate of tax realistically it will cost you 1200.

Is there any scope for a bigger budget? Have it in mind here to upgrade the 5030. Anything descent that I have seen is €20k+. I have an off farm job like you and I believe that borrowing 20k over 5 years could he very efficient tax wise and along with my own tractor, that could put my budget closer to €30k. Its daunting enough to be borrowing that much money, but being able to write it off over 7 years will benefit you tax wise. I'm not advocating buying a tractor to keep your tax bill down, but you need a tractor, so spending efficiently is what you need to do. A higher budget could work out a cheaper tractor in the long run.

Why are you thinking of changing it?

Why are you thinking of changing it?

It's the ford 5030 that we have in Galway. It struggles with bales - especially with the bale splitter. I kinda had it it my head to buy something a bit more modern, 4wd and 40k, so that I could bring it home for to have an extra tractor at silage during the summer months.

It's the ford 5030 that we have in Galway. It struggles with bales - especially with the bale splitter. I kinda had it it my head to buy something a bit more modern, 4wd and 40k, so that I could bring it home for to have an extra tractor at silage during the summer months.

Ah I was wondering, wouldn't make sense to change the one at home. There a brilliant tractor, another one of them or a tla is what I'd be advising you to go fot.

Ah I was wondering, wouldn't make sense to change the one at home. There a brilliant tractor, another one of them or a tla is what I'd be advising you to go fot.

It won't be this year, and possibly well into next year. It would be hard to stray from the NH. I was thinking that maybe a T6010 or a TS100A would be a bit heavier for pulling the tanker, but I don't know what they would be like for reliability in comparison to what we have?

It won't be this year, and possibly well into next year. It would be hard to stray from the NH. I was thinking that maybe a T6010 or a TS100A would be a bit heavier for pulling the tanker, but I don't know what they would be like for reliability in comparison to what we have?

I wouldn't be afraid of any of them and the bigger ones would be more comfortable and user friendly and bring your own back to galway. Case maxxum or mxu as well.

@declanc304 just rereading my post from last night I was a bit rude running down your tractor. That was not my intention, I was just trying to back up my thoughts.

Little scope mucky, I'd rather spend the excess on upgrading a few machines or a bit more steel and concrete which is a better use of cash and tax allowances. Ive no interest in borrowing money for depreciating assets and starting on that merry go around. That's just the way I am.

If you are leaning towards a TSa forget about 20k, It's 30k you need for anything decent and even then :scratchhead: and more still for a 6010.

And It's over 8 years for machinery, 7 years is for sheds and land improvement.

Mike answered it already I'd say but any change I'll let you know JohnBoy.

Have you any weights upfront? It shouldn't be struggling that much but I don't know what weight the shear is.

I'd say the length of the shear would be a factor too. They're only a 4600 back end so I could see it being on its limits with a bale 6-8 inches further back than on a basic carrier

Ive no interest in borrowing money for depreciating assets and starting on that merry go around.
agree with you re borrowing but as you’ve seen with your current tractor, the right machine shouldn’t depreciate very much assuming hours remain low enough and if you were very lucky could even appreciate in value.

Have you any weights upfront? It shouldn't be struggling that much but I don't know what weight the shear is.

I find that it has no better lift capacity than the mf165 that it replaced. Its certainly not able to lift what our mf168 will lift and is nowhere near as stable, even with the front weight. Its a comfortable tractor and has been reliable but I'm not always the driver - sometimes its my wife or a person that looks at and feeds cattle for us when we are not around. I would let neither put in a heavy bale of after grass silage with it as neither find it safe. It wasn't made for lifting a bale of silage that's close to a ton weight. You can see it in the arms - one of which has worn at the inner ball and will have to be replaced before we start feeding this year.

The splitter is out about 4 inches further than a standard bale handler which doesn't help.

@declanc304 just rereading my post from last night I was a bit rude running down your tractor. That was not my intention, I was just trying to back up my thoughts.

Little scope mucky, I'd rather spend the excess on upgrading a few machines or a bit more steel and concrete which is a better use of cash and tax allowances. Ive no interest in borrowing money for depreciating assets and starting on that merry go around. That's just the way I am.

If you are leaning towards a TSa forget about 20k, It's 30k you need for anything decent and even then :scratchhead: and more still for a 6010.

And It's over 8 years for machinery, 7 years is for sheds and land improvement.

Mike answered it already I'd say but any change I'll let you know JohnBoy.

Ah i get ya. It's horses for courses I suppose. With me not being on the outfarm all of the time, I need to ensure that it's safe for whoever is doing the work - be it me or anyone else. Something reliable with first turn start is also vital. Added in that I could get some extra benefit from the right tractor on the home farm, and I think it would be a good investment. Couple that with the added benefits of putting depreciation against tax and it makes it a bit more justifiable in my circumstances.

But as you point out, what suits me doesn't necessarily suit you.

I have been eyeing TSA's for a while now. You're talking €25k to €30k depending on spec, hours and condition. The equivalent Case is a good bit less but scarce enough. T6010's aren't too plentiful either. But for the spec that they are, they aren't over priced. I see a very low houred one in a dealer in the north that would come in at €34k delivered.

Back