Neighbour falling out

When we were renting a lot of land it was policy to go both directions out of a gateway so it muddied the waters as to which gateway the muck came out of . If you drove slowly for the first 100 meters with dual wheels and then speeded up the neighboring farmers would get some of the blame .
Ye were dirty feckers and getting poor auld innocent fecker across the road blamed 😂 😂 😂 :2guns:

Not much use to you now but if there is anything to be learned here it is think long and hard before you sell sites.

Also beneficial to lodge either an objection or a concern over planning permission highlighting the noises, smells etc associated with a working farm next door. That's logged on file then.

Not nice to be an awkward b#ll@x but the more accommodating you are the more is expected and less it's appreciated from what I can see.

the man who does my slurry is very careful and leaves no mess , the problem is the bigger operators who employ young lads who go boot to the board at every opportunity and do more muck spreading from the wheels than slurry from the tank

Last edited:
Put in a cow roadway last year to cross a quiet road to rented ground. The road runs along the boundary of the house (a site sold years ago.)

Asked the person at the time, they'd no issues with it. This year they're complaining about noise from the quad going past in the morning, dirt on the road in wet (minor staining imo) dust when its dry and car goes by etc.

Things have escalated recently and they're threatening legal advice they've friends in the dept. Bird bia etc.

Do they have a case? Or just being nasty? Up to this point I would go out of my way to be accommodating to their concerns but its just getting worse.
Any advice appreciated. Received a very passive aggressive text this morning again listing their issues and demanding the roadway be moved. Should I just ignore it altogether? Or politely respond?

Also been keeping record of the road to ensure its clean enough
Im not qualified to give a legal opinion but i will give my opinion. On the noise issue there are no noise limits laid down in law. There is something about noise during anti social hours, 11 pm to 7am (8am weekends). Any noise from the quad would presumably be limited to a short period fetching the cows. And presumably this is only while grazing the rented ground. Its also no louder than traffic passing on the road. Presuming its fitted with a functional silencer. While anyone can make a noise complaint and can take a civil case, it is likely the court will direct both parties to attempt to reach a suitable compromise or agreement. Unless you are making life hell for them or being unreasonable its prety much 50/50. You would also have the defence of operating the farm before they moved in/bought the house. Though maybe the quad is new. What forms the boundary, block wall, fence? You could perhaps plant a hedge between your road and the boundary to deflect the noise. It'll take time to establish though. Or recommend wooden fence panels. They may not want either of those if it blocks their view!!! Lesser of two evils maybe.

If you have a good roadway both sides dirt should be at a minimum, which i think you are saying it is. Again they could complain to the council but if its not excessive the council are unlikely to take action other than maybe to inform you that there was a complaint. The dust when a car goes by is just rediculous and makes them seem like cranks.

They are of course entiled to get legal advice and any solicitor that wants to make a bit of money will write letters. You can also seek your own legal advice just to see where you stand legally. The ball is in their court as regards going the legal route, you will just have to wait and see what they do. In the mean time keep calm and definitely no agression towards them.

As regards their connections in dept, an empty threat I'd say. Staff would be very slow to do anything they shouldnt. Presume you have everything in reasonable order and if so difficult for them to do anything.

Put your self in their shoes for a minute. How would you feel if there was a quad running outside your house when you are trying to sleep. I could see how it might be a little annoying. But i also see it as part and parcel of living next to a farm and I'd learn to live with it provided it was at a reasonable hour. Certainly wouldnt be threatening legal action.

So they are demanding the road be moved. Has it always been by text or has there been face to face discussion. Would a road be feasible anywhere else? I think a fast growing hedge like privet as a noise absorbsion measure and do nothing else. And let them cut their side of it

Have there been issues in the past. Have they lived there long. What has triggered it now. Too much time on their hands, nothing else to do. Are they getting to a certain age. Engage with them, ask them what you can do to improve the situation be as nice as pie. Propose your own suggestions too. And keep a record of all meetings, discussions, phone calls and texts. Write it down, date and time brief summary of what was discussed etc. If it were going to court this would form the chain of events and would document the efforts you went to to resolve the matter.
https://www.flac.ie/publications/ if you search for neighbour dispute here, the leaflet will give you an idea of what they might do if they want to take things further.

Would they pay you to move your roadway...unlikely. Tell them you’re heavily in debt and can’t afford another wheelbarrow of stone at the moment never mind a new road. But you’re willing to put down a hedge but won’t be able to afford to cut it so they’ll have to do that too. Also tell them the exhaust silencer is getting shook on the quad and could fall off any day now but...you can’t afford a new one because you’re just about to spend money on a hedge...
Told you I’m a nice neighbour :lol:

The OP hasn't replied to this thread so I dont think there is any imminent danger to international relations... or else its too late

Would they pay you to move your roadway...unlikely. Tell them you’re heavily in debt and can’t afford another wheelbarrow of stone at the moment never mind a new road. But you’re willing to put down a hedge but won’t be able to afford to cut it so they’ll have to do that too. Also tell them the exhaust silencer is getting shook on the quad and could fall off any day now but...you can’t afford a new one because you’re just about to spend money on a hedge...
Told you I’m a nice neighbour :lol:
Hedge I agree with, but don't let them cut it. Some nice leylandii perhaps, without cutting it will soon keep them separated from your roadway 🤣🤣

The more I think about this the more annoyed it makes me. We as farmers are taking too much shit off the public and I think we should stand our ground a little. If the land is yours and the road is clean and your doing your best not to cause a nuisance then let them go to hell. Of course be be civil and listen to their shit talk but tell them that this is your job and you are only doing your work and leave it at that.

The more I think about this the more annoyed it makes me. We as farmers are taking too much shit off the public and I think we should stand our ground a little. If the land is yours and the road is clean and your doing your best not to cause a nuisance then let them go to hell. Of course be be civil and listen to their shit talk but tell them that this is your job and you are only doing your work and leave it at that.
I agree, I think any pandering to him could be a slippery slope. Keep the place tidy, and the noise down in the mornings and you can do no more.

Had land at the back of a solicters house once.he asked did people complain about the smell.i replied that if I listened to all the complaints I'd never get anything done....that was the end of that

Neighbour brings his cows with a quad and yes even at a couple of hundred yards it is quite loud , also between going for them maybe changing a fence and coming in behind them, it could be ongoing for 10 minutes or more.
It also kickstarts myself to get my own in.

The only thing I think you have to worry about is leaving shite on the road.

If you keep the road clean and you're not revving the quad needlessly then you're doing all you can do while going about your business

Ask them to buy you an electric quad
Briliant.
I agree, I think any pandering to him could be a slippery slope. Keep the place tidy, and the noise down in the mornings and you can do no more.
I agree no pandering to him. The idea of engaging and proposing solutions is that if it were ever to go further you have documented evidence that you attempted to resolve matters through reasonable compromise. If they maintain their demands to remove the road on your own property they look like they are being unreasonable. Also while you are engaging with them, if they were to make a complaint to council etc it would also make them look unreasonable. It slows down the process, you dont know what they are planning, maybe they are thinking of selling and think the cow track would put off buyers

Put in a cow roadway last year to cross a quiet road to rented ground. The road runs along the boundary of the house (a site sold years ago.)

Asked the person at the time, they'd no issues with it. This year they're complaining about noise from the quad going past in the morning, dirt on the road in wet (minor staining imo) dust when its dry and car goes by etc.

Things have escalated recently and they're threatening legal advice they've friends in the dept. Bird bia etc.

Do they have a case? Or just being nasty? Up to this point I would go out of my way to be accommodating to their concerns but its just getting worse.
Any advice appreciated. Received a very passive aggressive text this morning again listing their issues and demanding the roadway be moved. Should I just ignore it altogether? Or politely respond?

Also been keeping record of the road to ensure its clean enough
Tell dem to sell up if the dont like it probably jealous ov u now

Back