Net wrap vs film wrap for bales

@AYF . How many layer`s of film is been put on your bales .
Have bales this year that were baled with a fusion with film on film . Biggest issue i have so far with it is there is too much film under silage . Minimum of half of the round of the bale is under silage and more for a lot of them . Also have bale`s that were made with a kuhn using silage plastic instead of net . Now i was driving that baler . Little to nothing of plastic under silage much better for opening bale`s .
That is down to the driver pushing on past the buzzer🤬and by fuck it annoys the hell out of me

That's what I was told about the full with film too it's a different plastic. Sounds crazy but then again at this stage nothingsurprises me in this country
Have heard of a man who went to recycle his plastic , had all film on film and wrap together. Trailer load for around 2000 bales , tipped it up and had to reload as he was told they couldn’t accept the film for recycling. Was told this from an eye witness of the occurrence who also said all the plastic seemed clean and dry. Maybe it has changed since then and if it had been separated it would be a different story but from a disposal point of view it takes the shine off it

I only drove a few demo 3 plus and I thought it was the greatest gimic going. Anytime I used one the plastic gave trouble. 60 bales to the roles that are a reasonable weight which is nothing compared to net. I think you need to stay driving them after the beeper goes to get the plastic to properly take off as well which you don’t have to with net so that’s why you’d often have plastic an inch under the grass.

The way things are going with the environment too plastic used will be bear minimum as well as the price of it. We used to make over 1200 bales here on our own farm all with net and the standard 16 wraps we say it plastic. There was little or no waste on the bales

Bought a fusion 3 plus have it 2 season's we use the film on early first cut thats to be fed to our own milkers after they calf after that we use whatever was on the baler .We find the only people who realy want film are the sheep men after that all go for 16 wraps and net and it works grand.The quailty of the grass is more important that net or film i think as i say if sh1t goes into the baler sh1t comes out .Had one customer with hay down nearly 3 weeks and gone black and was wondering would the film work like magic to turn it into top halyage .Must admit the film is handy in the winter and no hassle with it being mixed at collection time

went helping a friend feed his cattle and he had bought some bales that had film instead of net. used the bale spike. we dropped the bale and opened the black plastic at the plastic heap and left the film on. biggest mistake we made. dont know if there's too little layers of film or what (bale was nice and solid) but as soon as we lifted it, the film disintegrated under the weight pretty much and half the bale came of the bale spike. happened a couple of times. had to cut the plastic off by the feed barriers while keeping it on the spike. based off that i reckon net would be stronger but i hope that it wasnt too little of the film put on.
did see last year they did seal the bale better.one of the bales out of the heap had a tear in the black plastic but when we opened, very little mould to be found.
way i see it, film on film seems to benefit the lads with bale shears the most. if with a normal bale spike, be more than likely taking the plastic off 1st and then taking the open bale to the feeders and if its true that some of the recycling centres refused to take the film mixed in with the plastic, defeats the purpose really. on the side of keeping mould out of bales, 16 wraps minimum and keep handling to a minimum. less you handle the bale when wrapped, the better

Last edited:
Have a net only fusion, the plus was coming in at 7k plus vat more at the time, very hard to justify that sort of extra spend. By default I put on 6 layers of wrap unless I’m asked to put on 4, I know a film rep very well he would travel a lot visiting contractors basically every contractor outside Ireland and the uk put on 6 layers.
At a average of 66 euro a roll euro ex vat for plastic this year with 4 layers that’s €2.20 for plastic and 6 layers that’s €3.30 a bale for plastic, I find spending the extra 1.10 a bale on wrap leaves a bale with no mould and can take a lot more abuse without being ripped. The same result as NRF.

Have lost work over not having film on film, but I’m not interested in making more work for myself loading film onto a baler. You can have the fanciest wrapper goin but if the lads stacking aren’t careful it’s all a balls. Friend got a new fusion 3 with the film because he works a chaser and thought it would help as the first bale the chaser picks up has hit the ground 7 times. Time will tell.

Reactions: c4l
i found with higher moisture silage bales, the silage sticks to the plastic on the barrel when opening and could this be a problem for recycling.
if i have haylage, i put on 6 layers plus net with fusion and makes a huge difference for mould.

So it’s now a fusion plus I’m driving for work . How many layers of NRF are lads putting on have it set to 3.6 here now and happy enough that there’s a minimum of 2 layers on the whole bale .

My contractor puts on about 2.25 laps. The bales would have 2 laps of the plastic when it has spread out.

@AYF . How many layer`s of film is been put on your bales .
Have bales this year that were baled with a fusion with film on film . Biggest issue i have so far with it is there is too much film under silage . Minimum of half of the round of the bale is under silage and more for a lot of them . Also have bale`s that were made with a kuhn using silage plastic instead of net . Now i was driving that baler . Little to nothing of plastic under silage much better for opening bale`s .
That’s down to the driver, could be the same with net if you have the right driver, there’s always going to be a bit under the plastic, depends where you slice it open but no choice in that. We get the odd tail left under but it’s a foot or so long and not hard to spot being the colour it is.

How much a roll is this plastic costing this year? and how many bales would u get out of a roll ?
120 from the dairygold own brand. About 29 bales with 16 or 17 rounds on the wrapper using a single roll (about 4 layers)

My baler man said the net replacement film is up 40 a roll vs last year. He said it does about 100 bales

My baler man said the net replacement film is up 40 a roll vs last year. He said it does about 100 bales
€235 a roll today, told it will do 120, I guess that depends on how much overlap you use, €6 for film and 4 layers of wrap by my calcs.

Back