New herd number

Tom Jones

Hi,
Does anyone know what the latest criteria is for getting a herd number? I just finished my green cert and was going to go into a partnership with my father but I seen a farm I want to lease. I know it needs a crush and pen for handling, but do I need sheds on this land for housing and for sick animals or would I be ok. Thanks.

You need accommodation for a sick animal too but it doesn't need to be anything spectacular. A simple hay span or lean to is more than fine.

Hi,
Does anyone know what the latest criteria is for getting a herd number? I just finished my green cert and was going to go into a partnership with my father but I seen a farm I want to lease. I know it needs a crush and pen for handling, but do I need sheds on this land for housing and for sick animals or would I be ok. Thanks.
As nashmach mentioned above housing isn't too much of a problem. We're going applying for a herd number too soon and after asking the local vet about it she said a leanto or a small shed would be adequate for sick cattle. She did mention as well though some thing about having a water suply on site and somewhere safe to store slurry or manure where it wouldn't contaminate the local environment. I must ask her again.

Hi,

A quick search produced this. Might be helpful.

Back