New Holland 35 series strange pto rattle

RossiMc

Hey guys

I have 6635 New Holland with a rattle coming from the Pto area when the tractor is idling but as you increase the revs it gradually disappears. The odd time at idle it sounds fine but mostly its there. The Pto works fine but if you run the Pto on the topper say and let it idle it sounds like a cog is going to fly out the back, then rev it up a little and its perfect. I've been told that maybe its backlash on pto gears be it sounds to severe. I stripped the pto unit out, but didn't find anything broken or out of place to my eye anyway. I think the NH 5050 and the Fiats its based off may have the same set up and am wondering if anyone has come across this before. Any help or suggestions before I start throwing parts at it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey guys

I have 6635 New Holland with a rattle coming from the Pto area when the tractor is idling but as you increase the revs it gradually disappears. The odd time at idle it sounds fine but mostly its there. The Pto works fine but if you run the Pto on the topper say and let it idle it sounds like a cog is going to fly out the back, then rev it up a little and its perfect. I've been told that maybe its backlash on pto gears be it sounds to severe. I stripped the pto unit out, but didn't find anything broken or out of place to my eye anyway. I think the NH 5050 and the Fiats its based off may have the same set up and am wondering if anyone has come across this before. Any help or suggestions before I start throwing parts at it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had a ford 8210 a few years ago and the pto let out a bang one day on the agitator and mashed the 540 gears. Iirc there was a plate behind the top link bracket for access to the gears.

Hey guys

Thanks
Dose it rattle in all pto speeds?

Hey guys

Thanks
all the fiats here rattle when the tractor is ticking over but it disappears when revved up same as yours

I had a ford 8210 a few years ago and the pto let out a bang one day on the agitator and mashed the 540 gears. Iirc there was a plate behind the top link bracket for access to the gears.

You are perfectly right . And that smaller gear , behind the plate was Ā£256 in 1984 . The 5600 here locked up when i was spreading fertiliser for 2nd cut silage . The tractor had cut the silage with a single chop Taarup harvester , but that happened while it was driving a Vicon spreader . It turned out a little something was left behind , when the tractor was being assembled .

Dose it rattle in all pto speeds?
Yes, it rattles in 540 540e and 1000 even with no load on it. If you rev the engine to 1500 with pto engaged or disengaged the noise disappears and then let it idle again noise slowly returns. If this is a common thing with this model then that's ok but it doesn't sound good to my ear and just want to preempt a major bang like stated above. Thanks for the feedback.

Something on the way out there I fear. Never heard the tls here do it anyway but cant shed any light on what it might be

Sounds like a serious amount of backlash in the gears, is there any movement up and down in the PTO stub itself?

Back