New Holland Dealer Change

Every second combine at that time must have come from Buttles too. It's a big change to broadcast radio!

6600s , 7600s and as you say hapes of New Holland combines .

I assume that is the same Mr Bennett who had the fine mobile organ setup.

One and the same . The Organ /Bedford truck I think is still at its long time residence. Ossie jnr told me before Christmas that 2020 was the 1st time that he and the De Dion hadn't taken part in the London to Brighton run in , I think , 53 years .

Reading the article above, would anyone expect that New Holland management would already have some dealer or dealers lined up to take on the agency or is that expecting too much from these management types in their ivory towers?
When Wexfords New Holland dealer decided to quit a few years ago it seems no others were interested in taking on the franchise and we were left with a dealer covering our area who was based 2 counties away, which obviously severly impacted on new sales.
i wouldn,t say they,ve anyone lined up as this seems to have blown up fairly recently,reading shaws statement he leaves the door open for a change of heart but i,d say shaws will have to back down on lyons and burton and that won,t happen either i,d say so its hard to see where the give and take would come from , both sides are biting off their own noses to spite their face as they say round here

James Leahy and Mick O Mahoney started in a small building in Cloyne village doing up Dextas and Majors imported from England. They would give them a test run up the Kilva hill road which runs past the home farm. As a boy l'd see them most days at full pelt, the wind blowing in their hair giving them a wild look (no cabs then)
and l recall my father and grandfather giving out about them going too fast.
They became successful and in the mid 70's moved to a new bigger premises at Churchtown North near Midleton.
Whenever my father had to go there for parts etc l would always go so l could check out the long lines of 4,5 & 7000's and later 66's & 76's. They must have brought in thousands of them over the years.
They were 99% Ford but you'd see the occasional MF there and in the 90's started on the JCB stuff right in time for the start of the building boom later in that decade.
At their peak l'd say there must have been a dozen or more working there.
They probably did export some of their trade ins to Africa etc but l am not sure on that. They were really importers of tractors l would have said.

My father would hire a tractor from them in the busy springtime period and over the years bought 3 tractors from them, a MF 178, a Ford 5000 and loader, and a MF 575. Here they are.
(@Soissons a blast from the past)
View attachment 88880
View attachment 88879
View attachment 88881
Ronald Sweetnam used import a fair amount of stuff as well he supplied a lot of 00 and 10 series fords around here one time. I remember going down there for parts with the father a couple of times 25 yrs ago his sons would have been a similar age to myself (early teens) and they would be out working the yard ripping secondhand parts off machines or getting new parts from different out houses, then into Ronnie at the kitchen table to pay.

Ronald Sweetnam used import a fair amount of stuff as well he supplied a lot of 00 and 10 series fords around here one time. I remember going down there for parts with the father a couple of times 25 yrs ago his sons would have been a similar age to myself (early teens) and they would be out working the yard ripping secondhand parts off machines or getting new parts from different out houses, then into Ronnie at the kitchen table to pay.
Yea a visit there was often quite an eye opener!

In reality couldn't they get a different franchise for Lyons and Burton?
Good point Marco. What brand?
Case? Leinster would be well served with furlong in Wexford. Shaw in Carlow and Kilcock and Tullamore if that happened.

Yea a visit there was often quite an eye opener!
It was kinda like witness protection or that for Ford tractors once they entered they could assume a new identity being combined with maybe the front or backend or cab of another tractor. They seemed to be flogging a lot of stuff back in the day and they were good on price for parts.

MDE in Northern Ireland supply a lot of NH parts to the South and the UK mainland, so its quite possible that Shaws could do similar
What with that, and selling tractors, its hard to see how they wont be a large thorn in the side of NH and any new dealer.

Last edited:
I can see swaine agri doing well with valtra now in the Midlands... selling krone as well!! Big opening for someone now to take new holland!! Whats the story with flynns of the downs outside mullingar? Great location that aswell

I can see swaine agri doing well with valtra now in the Midlands... selling krone as well!! Big opening for someone now to take new holland!! Whats the story with flynns of the downs outside mullingar? Great location that aswell
Drummonds have the mill and some office space. Most of the old machinery areas are up for sale i think

It is more than likely BS, I only asked the question because the lad that said if was quite adamant that it had been reversed
I was told the same today. Was told a large number of shaws customers contacted new Holland and told them they would never buy another new Holland if shaw was to go.

It's doing the rounds alright but if true you would think either NH or Shaw's would issue some statement to quell any customer dissatisfaction and just to stop the rumour machine going???

How many John Deere dealers are in the country now? Wonder will other manufacturers go down the same route in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-15-08-54-37-96_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-15-08-54-37-96_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 119
Back