New milking parlour

Has anyone seen an exit race being doubled up for use as a crush rather than having them separate? So it would be wider than a normal crush but still not wide enough that a cow could end up side by side. About 900mm. And then a platform running the length of the crush/exit.
Would only consider it if you are very caught for space,and even then I’d be slow. Problem is the narrower you make it to improve control of the cow the more you will restrict cow flow

I think I agree I would sacrifice a dump line for auto drafter and keep held cows to the end. However the quotes we have there’s a jump of just 3k to go from 3 milk buckets with 8 points to plug into to a full dump line. Spoke to a few lads locally with DM parlours this week. One in particular had a very bad experience. Enough to throw me off them even with the savings.
Has anyone seen an exit race being doubled up for use as a crush rather than having them separate? So it would be wider than a normal crush but still not wide enough that a cow could end up side by side. About 900mm. And then a platform running the length of the crush/exit.
Have seen it in one parlour. The big disadvantage is cow flow on normal exit. A couple of slow ladies hold up the whole show and you're out shouting and roaring st them with cows shitting everywhere. At least in a yard they'll shove on past one another.
Very effective use of space on the other hand of course
@mixedbag got in ahead of me

I hear ye both, the balance In Width needs to be enough that they would comfortably exit. All criticism welcome as it hasn’t been built yet. And before anybody asks I think the cow exit area is too tight before hitting single file so that will need to be changed for sure. Idea is to use the space as smart as possible and we really could do with heifer cubicles so we are thinking of putting a single line of 20/25 cubicles and scraper between exit race and parlour wall (cubicles to go against the wall) and Will need to leave room for handling facilities at the top by parlour exit. Main issue is that an autodrafter would then be a part of the crush/race and it will need be far enough down the crush/race that they would be drafting into cubicles instead of the handling area above it.

2nd picture is potentially where cubicles would go (in red) but I would reduce this to allow for more handling facilities ie would go from 30 cubicles to 25 or even 20. Otherwise it’s really are not making life easier with cow handling.

Attachments

• 34BCCF34-F9A8-45E8-BE36-8FD1F5868748.png
    34BCCF34-F9A8-45E8-BE36-8FD1F5868748.png
    614.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 6778C539-996D-41B1-991F-0A5C34F26FBE.png
    6778C539-996D-41B1-991F-0A5C34F26FBE.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I hear ye both, the balance In Width needs to be enough that they would comfortably exit. All criticism welcome as it hasn’t been built yet. And before anybody asks I think the cow exit area is too tight before hitting single file so that will need to be changed for sure. Idea is to use the space as smart as possible and we really could do with heifer cubicles so we are thinking of putting a single line of 20/25 cubicles and scraper between exit race and parlour wall (cubicles to go against the wall) and Will need to leave room for handling facilities at the top by parlour exit. Main issue is that an autodrafter would then be a part of the crush/race and it will need be far enough down the crush/race that they would be drafting into cubicles instead of the handling area above it.

2nd picture is potentially where cubicles would go (in red) but I would reduce this to allow for more handling facilities ie would go from 30 cubicles to 25 or even 20. Otherwise it’s really are not making life easier with cow handling.
In pic one where the cows are walking back out, you are having to put down alot of concrete there for them just to plod out
It looks to be wasted space really unless you have different plans down the line. You could put a drafter in and have a AI crush and hold pens maybe?

In pic one where the cows are walking back out, you are having to put down alot of concrete there for them just to plod out
It looks to be wasted space really unless you have different plans down the line. You could put a drafter in and have a AI crush and hold pens maybe?
In pic 2 you will see the idea of the cubicle space. But will need to reduce this to make sure there is enough handling space, may not be an AI crush but headlock gates at very least.

I would do everything possible to avoid having the heifer cubicles in the way.
I know, I’m second guessing myself now. More stuck for headfeed space than cubicles in main shed and adding to main cubicle shed involves moving silage pit & demolishing another old shed and this seems to lesser of 2 evils for now. Down the line that job will need to be done most likely.

In pic 2 you will see the idea of the cubicle space. But will need to reduce this to make sure there is enough handling space, may not be an AI crush but headlock gates at very least.
If it was me I wouldn't but cubicle near your milking area. I think it should only be used for the milking and handling duties of cows. Not sure how it would sit with bird bia inspection either.

I know, I’m second guessing myself now. More stuck for headfeed space than cubicles in main shed and adding to main cubicle shed involves moving silage pit & demolishing another old shed and this seems to lesser of 2 evils for now. Down the line that job will need to be done most likely.
Anyway you could use some temporary pre cast cubicles?
Where will they eat?

Anyway you could use some temporary pre cast cubicles?
Where will they eat?
There will be feeding available full length of holding yard. As this would be handy for zero grazing if ever needed anyway. Precast cubicle would be an idea but at that stage you would have a scraper in too so might not be easy revert it back to handling facilities.

If it was me I wouldn't but cubicle near your milking area. I think it should only be used for the milking and handling duties of cows. Not sure how it would sit with bird bia inspection either.
I’m not sure how it would be different to any of the modern large sheds that have cubicles abs parlour under one roof?

I’m not sure how it would be different to any of the modern large sheds that have cubicles abs parlour under one roof?
Air space is a big issue I think. Might not be either just thinking out load really. My other thought would be, would having cubicles there effect cow flow from the parlour

Keep milking area just for milking with drafting and handling as straight forward and simple as possible,minimises cleaning and is uncluttered

Sorry to drag this up @FIAT 450 but reading this thread where you sorry you didn't paint the parlour or maybe you have done it since? Have parlour power washed and contemplating painting it as cows are all dried off so opportune time to do it.
Not really no. We thought about it but the milking machine lad said it will wear and chip and I'd be back painting it again after awhile. Bit of colour be nice ya but not bothered either.

Sorry to drag this up @FIAT 450 but reading this thread where you sorry you didn't paint the parlour or maybe you have done it since? Have parlour power washed and contemplating painting it as cows are all dried off so opportune time to do it.
If you have the walls clean and dry, I would paint it .
It brightens the place up and looks well even on rough walls. It also leaves it a lot easier washed again. I have done it a couple of times. The biggest problem I had was getting the walls dry. We have a bit of a damp issue because of where the parlour is located.
Maybe worth getting a paraffin blow heater if you're at it. Heat is always a help when you're painting.
I painted the bottom 5 or 6' blue and white above that.

If you have the walls clean and dry, I would paint it .
It brightens the place up and looks well even on rough walls. It also leaves it a lot easier washed again. I have done it a couple of times. The biggest problem I had was getting the walls dry. We have a bit of a damp issue because of where the parlour is located.
Maybe worth getting a paraffin blow heater if you're at it. Heat is always a help when you're painting.
I painted the bottom 5 or 6' blue and white above that.
Have a kero blow heater here alright never thought of using it to dry the place, never seems to dry out this time of year.
Have a student here on placement, so will make use of the help and get the place tidied up.

Ceiling in milking parlour dairy, what are ye using, sheets of pvc or lengths of soffit, anything else, what works out cheapest and easiest, must go pricing tomorrow. Snapchat-1393502078.jpg

This is the stuff that i put up in the dairy in work https://jgkellygroup.com/product/10″-wide-dairyclad/ . Was got off this crowd aswell . Easy to put up with wood screw`s which are hidden by the overlap of the next sheet . Will send you on a pic of it in the morning . Still look`s as good today and up 10yrs now i think
Ceiling in milking parlour dairy, what are ye using, sheets of pvc or lengths of soffit, anything else, what works out cheapest and easiest, must go pricing tomorrow. View attachment 133628

Back