New pick-up thoughts - L200 - D-Max - Hilux

redpower

Looking to get a new (or 1-2yo) pick-up for the farm. Been looking at the 3 that are still officially sold here - L200, Isuzu and the Hilux.

I don't have much knowledge of any of them so what are people opinions?

How does the 2.4 Hilux stack up towing wise in comparison to the 2.8? With only having a 1.9L engine how does the Isuzu tow?

Any opinions on these would be appreciated.

Looking to get a new (or 1-2yo) pick-up for the farm. Been looking at the 3 that are still officially sold here - L200, Isuzu and the Hilux.

How does the 2.4 Hilux stack up towing wise in comparison to the 2.8? With only having a 1.9L engine how does the Isuzu tow?

@muckymanor s friend bought a new one there a year or two ago,he might ask him for you

I rated my d max with 2.5 twin turbo but I wouldn’t ever buy the 1.9,if in the market I’d buy a Hilux.

The L200 is going to drop like a stone,ok for an old one but not something I’d fancy.

Did you look at a Ford ranger, I was looking at a new Hi Lux last year delivery time was 9 months and couldn’t get a definite price because the dealers were expecting price rises in the mean time, got a 1 year old ranger 3.2 instead and it’s been a great jeep.

can you still get a new l200.lad beside us bought a new one in 2017 or 2018.can remember which but was the newest model.only 140 or 150bhp.hated it and sold it .under powered and dead.think it was a 2.2l

A friend of mine bought a hilux invincible 2 years ago with the 2.8 engine. It's an animal to pull compared to our 2.5 litre navara, it's also much the same with its fuel economy despite its engine being 0.3 litres bigger. Both jeeps would cost around 140 a week to run at the current fuel prices doing around 100km a day. It burns around 160 a week if its doing much work with the plant trailer. It would do a substantial amount of plant trailer work pulling a 3 tonne dumper or 3 tonne digger among other things which again it manages well, you wouldn't know its behind you but that's partly thanks to the automatic gearbox.

It's a good high jeep and the reverse camera is fitted giving a good view of the towbar. It's good offroad too, it has a good clearance for site and Farm work and the automatic box is very handy to use. From the bit of driving I done of his I couldn't really fault it, only thing I didn't like was the view out the back window isn't great but I suppose the reverse camera covers for that. It hasn't given any trouble that would be the cause of the jeep, only little bits like strobes for the site and one of the mudgaurds fell off the other week but I fixed both handy enough last weekend, nothing major to stop the jeep from functioning. I wouldn't have any experience with the other jeeps now to give a fair opinion of them.

can you still get a new l200.lad beside us bought a new one in 2017 or 2018.can remember which but was the newest model.only 140 or 150bhp.hated it and sold it .under powered and dead.think it was a 2.2l
Yes, they are still here. Still a 2.2L with 150hp and 400Nm torque. One thing I noticed is that they are only capable of towing 3.5T on a tri-axle trailer, so for that reason mainly they were not one of my main preferences.

Did you look at a Ford ranger, I was looking at a new Hi Lux last year delivery time was 9 months and couldn’t get a definite price because the dealers were expecting price rises in the mean time, got a 1 year old ranger 3.2 instead and it’s been a great jeep.
Haven't looked at a Ranger as they mostly come with an auto box and want a manual.

There's a 201 hilux here. I only ever drive it if I'm pulling a trailer. It has been quite reliable bar an issue with brake drum seals. I like it to pull. We had a l200 before and the hilux is much steadier with a load. Its good in soft ground. Quite smooth to drive. Not as hard on fuel as some would lead you to believe. Main driver is very happy with it anyway.

@muckymanor - is yours the 2.4 or the 2.8? Manual or auto? How do you rate the engine for towing? Long waiting list for the Hilux might push me towards the D-Max DL20. Gone off an L200 and don't want a Ranger.

@muckymanor - is yours the 2.4 or the 2.8? Manual or auto? How do you rate the engine for towing? Long waiting list for the Hilux might push me towards the D-Max DL20. Gone off an L200 and don't want a Ranger.
It's a 2.4 manual. I find it great for towing. Pulls a 12 x 6 with ease. A dream compared to the old L200.
Do some research about the D Max - there's some reports of them being badly built. Issues with seals around windows (Particular issue with the rear window letting in a lot of water) and some other issued about fixtures in the cab being flimsy and breaking easily.

It's a 2.4 manual. I find it great for towing. Pulls a 12 x 6 with ease. A dream compared to the old L200.
Do some research about the D Max - there's some reports of them being badly built. Issues with seals around windows (Particular issue with the rear window letting in a lot of water) and some other issued about fixtures in the cab being flimsy and breaking easily.
That's a bit disappointing to hear, the old dmax's were a serious jeep, good to pull and good to go, only fault I could find which seems to common enough is the clutches don't seem to last in them. I'm half looking at an older jeep here and it's between an older land cruiser (pre 2003) or a dmax. What are the new ones like to pull? I'd often move cattle with the neighbours one and although it wouldn't be as nice to pull as the Hilux it's still got plenty of power, you wouldn't find yourself having to go down a gear often with a load behind you.

Back