New roadway advise

There is something niggling me that cow tracks now need to be so many meters from a drainage ditch.

Quick question.. was up paying my concrete supplier and he has 300T of stuff that was washed out of the cement lorries gravel/sand/cement would this stuff be ok to line another lane with to take ruts, potholes etc out? Pull 804 over the top then.

Quick question.. was up paying my concrete supplier and he has 300T of stuff that was washed out of the cement lorries gravel/sand/cement would this stuff be ok to line another lane with to take ruts, potholes etc out? Pull 804 over the top then.
I’d say no straight away. A local lad got 5 tipper loads of that delivered to his house for the driveway base for free, I nearly had to get the digger pulled out of that muck. Levelled it off a foot deep and spread gravel on top as directed by the owner, it was squelching up through the gravel. Muck lime is the closest description I would have of it.

I’d say no straight away. A local lad got 5 tipper loads of that delivered to his house for the driveway base for free, I nearly had to get the digger pulled out of that muck. Levelled it off a foot deep and spread gravel on top as directed by the owner, it was squelching up through the gravel. Muck lime is the closest description I would have of it.
Thank you all I needed to hear, was weary of it so said it’d be better to ask.

If it is for an existing cow track would the chippings in the lorry washings be too harsh on hooves?

On the new roadway would terram help save on stone and prevent the clay coming up from underneath in the wet parts?

If it is for an existing cow track would the chippings in the lorry washings be too harsh on hooves?

On the new roadway would terram help save on stone and prevent the clay coming up from underneath in the wet parts?
Yeah chippings prob would be to harsh but I would of pulled the likes of 804 of the top.
Heard of the Terram all right and most look into it

Yeah chippings prob would be to harsh but I would of pulled the likes of 804 of the top.
Heard of the Terram all right and most look into it
I saw a job done near you that used terram and it wasn't the clay underneath that was the problem, it was the stuff put on top. What quarry do you get your stone from if you're getting any.

I saw a job done near you that used terram and it wasn't the clay underneath that was the problem, it was the stuff put on top. What quarry do you get your stone from if you're getting any.
Normally get stuff from a quarry near Stranorlar, got alot of stuff from Gillespie outside castlederg this year for the new shed. The 300T of stuff I got came from that direction out of a farm with a rock face he was taking away, got a few men to check it for me and said it would be the best of stuff for a lane. If getting 804 I’d probably go with Gillespie in Castlederg or neighbour here got slate chippings and he is happy with them from down st Johnston direction.

To finish off a lane with decent falls that water won’t sit on I’d use “inch to dust” which I used to get from Killcarrig Quarries in Carlow. When it gets wet and dry a few times and well rolled you’d need a rock breaker to break it up.

Reactions: Paw
To finish off a lane with decent falls that water won’t sit on I’d use “inch to dust” which I used to get from Killcarrig Quarries in Carlow. When it gets wet and dry a few times and well rolled you’d need a rock breaker to break it up.
Thanks I’ll keep that in mind and ask a few places about it

I think 804 is an engineering grade stone while screenings is the same but not with the paperwork and hence a few euro a tonne cheaper. Might make no difference depending on the supplier

Reactions: AYF
Normally get stuff from a quarry near Stranorlar, got alot of stuff from Gillespie outside castlederg this year for the new shed. The 300T of stuff I got came from that direction out of a farm with a rock face he was taking away, got a few men to check it for me and said it would be the best of stuff for a lane. If getting 804 I’d probably go with Gillespie in Castlederg or neighbour here got slate chippings and he is happy with them from down st Johnston direction.
I sent you a PM

I think 804 is an engineering grade stone while screenings is the same but not with the paperwork and hence a few euro a tonne cheaper. Might make no difference depending on the supplier

I'm after getting a couple of handy trailer loads of 804 , to level up for concrete. Collected in local quarry . I was looking at 804 and screenings .
My view of it v screenings.
804 inch and a bit chips to dust .
Screenings half inch to dust .

Finally got a start on this new roadway today and relined the roadway from the farm up through the new ground.

Going an upside down road for the new lane as we got really good stuff as we dug down which I didn’t expect to find in that particular field.

Will post up pics tomorrow as it was to dark after milking never got up to see it.

Back