New slatted shed

Galwayden

Hey. Friend is going building a new slatted shed. He’s a beef farmer. Any tips on anything you guys would change?
He’s living in west galway.

How big of a shed/ how many cattle/ what type of beef cattle? As in sucklers/weanlings/stores? Has he a rough idea of what he’s thinking of already?

Biggest things, try to maximise head space and storage capacity, go for a 9ft deep tank now even if an 8 will do, it’s not much extra but will leave a lot more in future if we get longer closed periods.

How big of a shed/ how many cattle/ what type of beef cattle? As in sucklers/weanlings/stores? Has he a rough idea of what he’s thinking of already?

Biggest things, try to maximise head space and storage capacity, go for a 9ft deep tank now even if an 8 will do, it’s not much extra but will leave a lot more in future if we get longer closed periods.
Sorry I meant to put up the drawing from his ag advisor.
He has ten cows. 4 calves. 18 weanlings and 6 stores. He has a two bay already.
Ya good idea about the deeper tank. Something he should definitely do.

Attachments

• 5F3B38A6-CAE5-41C8-88E6-AC3B1809CEFD.jpeg
    5F3B38A6-CAE5-41C8-88E6-AC3B1809CEFD.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 65
I would extent the tank and make it a 3 bay tank and put in a second mixing point, it's going to cost very little extra and you can still use it as a dry bedded pen.
I would make the creep area 3 or 4 foot wider and use it as a passage in the creep area, I thought you had to do that now anyway if you're getting a grant but maybe he isn't going for a grant

I would extent the tank and make it a 3 bay tank and put in a second mixing point, it's going to cost very little extra and you can still use it as a dry bedded pen.
I would make the creep area 3 or 4 foot wider and use it as a passage in the creep area, I thought you had to do that now anyway if you're getting a grant but maybe he isn't going for a grant
How do you use it as a dry bay pen if the slats are there?

Back