Nitrogen in silage crop?

Mr Jay

Evenin all,

I spread 550kg of CAN on 9.5 acres of ground on 2 May this year.

Is it safe to cut this grass for baled silage now?

Will there be a problem with too much nitrogen in the silage?

Thanks in advance,

Jay.

Evenin all,

I spread 550kg of CAN on 9.5 acres of ground on 2 May this year.

Is it safe to cut this grass for baled silage now?

Will there be a problem with too much nitrogen in the silage?

Thanks in advance,

Jay.

Its fine, cut away.

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

that's a little over a bag to the acre.(31 units divided by 2 units a day =15 days).you are well covered to cut now i'd say.

I have cut some silage that had 12 units of nitrogen to be used up, from the day it was spread to the day it was cut using the 2 units/ day rule ...

ie 6 days early

Will this effect the quality of the silage much or should it be safe enough :sweatdrop: ? It was wilted for roughly 24 hours

Thanks

Mr Jay, given the good growing conditions over the past two weeks that is more than fine.

For mfman, I would have said it was a bit soon but sure it is cut now. Experts will correct me, but don't see how wilting will lower the nitrogen content.

I have cut some silage that had 12 units of nitrogen to be used up, from the day it was spread to the day it was cut using the 2 units/ day rule ...

ie 6 days early

Will this effect the quality of the silage much or should it be safe enough :sweatdrop: ? It was wilted for roughly 24 hours

Thanks

how long after you sowed it til you cut it.

7 weeks and 5 days ...it got a right dose of nitrogen though, hmm maybe I should feed it i.e. the first cut first this winter incase it does preserve as well ?

7 weeks and 5 days ...it got a right dose of nitrogen though, hmm maybe I should feed it i.e. the first cut first this winter incase it does preserve as well ?

when you say 12 units, what exactly do you mean, what rate was it spread at?

11th April spread 121.5 units of nitrogen (4.5 bags acre 27% N) silage cut 4th June . That's 54 days between spreading and cutting so 54 days x 2 units day = 108 units of nitrogen used up

121.5 - 108 = 13.5 units of nitrogen still remaining in the silage crop that's now wrapped and stacked :sweatdrop:

11th April spread 121.5 units of nitrogen (4.5 bags acre 27% N) silage cut 4th June . That's 54 days between spreading and cutting so 54 days x 2 units day = 108 units of nitrogen used up

121.5 - 108 = 13.5 units of nitrogen still remaining in the silage crop that's now wrapped and stacked :sweatdrop:

it was too soon alright.
but hey ho, the fact its wilted will help it.
it ill be ok id say, just.

it was too soon alright.
but hey ho, the fact its wilted will help it.
it ill be ok id say, just.

Fingers crossed, hoped to get out earlier with the fert. but the weather was freezing back then I think and aiming for a bumper crop but what can ya do.

Might not be what you want to hear but I reckon you have more nitrogen than that in the bales.

April was not a good month for growth so I reckon those 2 units wouldn't have been used that month.

Sorry (hope I'm wrong!)

Best bet in any of those things is to test it
The 2 unit rule isn't set in stone, it's an average at best

Might not be what you want to hear but I reckon you have more nitrogen than that in the bales.

April was not a good month for growth so I reckon those 2 units wouldn't have been used that month.

Sorry (hope I'm wrong!)

No worries Nash, the proof will be in the pudding come feeding time :D

Not very scientific but a good farmer said to me, if the grass has grown to a good crop then the n is used its not just about the number of days, it kinda made sense to me

Ya it wouldn't have used any hardly in April but would average out near 2 I'd say.

A wilt on dayslike today will save ya. Let's face It if it ferments it will be rocket fuel.

I'd say your ok.

Back