No Till biological farming

How did you go about that Louis, what I mean is did you spray it off the day before or few weeks before, do you need lime and or p and k?
It looks super tho in fairness.
This was sprayed off a week before cutting, then left for a further 4 weeks (roughly) before drilling. It got lime, partly to help neutralise acids from decaying sward. It's had nothing else apart from a few pracutionery slug pellets post rolling which I think now were wholly unnecessary.

Drilling into ley is the perfect place to start no till, all the preperation work is done, we drilled no-tilled OSR into ley last year did an ok 1.55t/ac nothing special but ok for the year thats in it, drilled it with Oats 2 weeks ago and the soil was so soft and friable, the structure was still there, massive difference to the next door field which is in long term cropping even with reduced tillage, it needed alot more downforce to get drill into ground and more power to pull!

Given the 24 different soil treatments there are a large number of statistically significant results reported on. Some of the more interesting or useful results were:
  • All fertiliser treatments resulted in a lowering of the soil pH. Plots with residue returned at 5000kg/ha had a significantly lower pH than the other residue treatments;
  • Fertilisation had no effect on organic carbon content of soils under control and 5,000kg/ha residue returns but a significant effect was seen when fertiliser was combined with 2,500kg/ha residue returns. Plots with residue return had higher organic carbon carbon than plots with none;
  • Fertilisers had differing effects on total nitrogen content depending on residue return but the more crop residues that were returned the higher the total N observed;
  • The carbon-to-nitrogen ratios were highest in plots without residue return and decreased as residue return increased;
  • Residue return resulted in a significant increase in available nitrogen and potassium, but not phosphorus.
  • A 5,000 kg/ha residue return resulted in a higher total and ratio of soil microbial groups than both the other residue treatments but the ratio of fungi to bacteria was reduced;
  • Fertiliser effect on soil microbes depended on the crop residue amount for a significant effect to be observed;
  • Residue return significantly effected fungi and bacteria and had an indirect effect on bacteria due to an increase on the soil fertility while fertiliser effected bacteria in the soil as a result of the decrease in pH;
  • Microbial community composition of plots with 5,000kg/ha returned were significantly different from the other residue treatments.
Soil nutrient composition is effected by many factors. Tillage, crop rotation, soil type and texture are just a few of these. Understanding how two agronomic treatments such as residue retention and fertiliser will interact and adjusting application rates of the fertiliser will certainly assist food production. Whilst there is further research required to confirm the threshold observed in this study, whether different crops have different effects and whether crop rotations alter the impact are just a few. But this study can be used to guide farmers and agronomists in broadly understanding the effect of residue retention.

Today I dug a hole.
Approx 8"x8"x8"
I counted 60 worms of various sizes and I probably missed a few. It was a second wheat after beans, been direct drilled for 3 years and had 2 cover crops in 3 years.

Did you did one in any of your ploughed fields?
Yes I continued this investigation today. I went to a block with 2 fields, same soil type etc, both had straw chopped this harvest. In the first field was an oat cover crop(field has had 2 direct drilled crops harvested, last ploughed in autumn 2013
The second field has been ploughed for at at least the last 30 years. It currently has a crop of winter wheat established with plough and one pass.

In dd field I dug 2 holes, approx 8" cube and I did the same in the ploughed field.
I counted approx 40 worms in the each of the dd holes

In the ploughed field Ifirst hole had 5 and second had 10.

Pretty conclusive if you ask me

Yes I continued this investigation today. I went to a block with 2 fields, same soil type etc, both had straw chopped this harvest. In the first field was an oat cover crop(field has had 2 direct drilled crops harvested, last ploughed in autumn 2013
The second field has been ploughed for at at least the last 30 years. It currently has a crop of winter wheat established with plough and one pass.

In dd field I dug 2 holes, approx 8" cube and I did the same in the ploughed field.

Any thoughts @CORK @Blackwater boy ??

Very interesting indeed. Now, to be fair one should probably do a lot more than one dig in each field to get statistically solid results but I'd say you're not far off in terms of the worm number comparison. Turning the extra worm numbers into extra profit is the next step.

Very interesting indeed. Now, to be fair one should probably do a lot more than one dig in each field to get statistically solid results but I'd say you're not far off in terms of the worm number comparison. Turning the extra worm numbers into extra profit is the next step.
I did 2 digs in each...... final year in college statistics lecture was painful, I swore never to get involved with them again :scratchhead::scratchhead:

I did 2 digs in each...... final year in college statistics lecture was painful, I swore never to get involved with them again :scratchhead::scratchhead:

never liked them either but theyre v important if one wants to prove a point.

Agree turning extra worms into profit will be the trick... can only be a good thing though, just have to manage things right to get the payback

2 samples and you think that is statistically significant :lol::lol:

You have another 28 holes in each type to dig so Louis....

And yes I'm a stats nerd :rolleyes2:

2 samples and you think that is statistically significant :lol::lol:

You have another 28 holes in each type to dig so Louis....

And yes I'm a stats nerd :rolleyes2:
I never said it was statistically significant.

What Do you expect the other 28!hokes will show???

I never said it was statistically significant.

What Do you expect the other 28!hokes will show???

I rest my case.....

Back