Nozzles and water and speed

I was in Holland for the last few days having a look around. We were with the guy who makes the front tanks we use for the liquid fertilizer, a man in his 70's who designs and builds the machinery himself, for the most part he's a one-man band. A very interesting character. He's also retro-fitting air bag systems to sprayers. His trials have suggested a 40% reduction in chemical usage is possible, as the brochure shows the system gives much better coverage than a conventional boom with a vastly reduced water rate. He's to organise an English brochure in the new year.

20191216_142825.jpg 20191216_142907.jpg 20191216_142934.jpg

The air kit consists of a PTO driven hydraulic pump, an oil tank, a big fan and obviously the air bag itself

20191216_093024.jpg 20191216_130557.jpg 20191216_141417.jpg 20191216_141524.jpg 20191216_141646.jpg

I was in Holland for the last few days having a look around. We were with the guy who makes the front tanks we use for the liquid fertilizer, a man in his 70's who designs and builds the machinery himself, for the most part he's a one-man band. A very interesting character. He's also retro-fitting air bag systems to sprayers. His trials have suggested a 40% reduction in chemical usage is possible, as the brochure shows the system gives much better coverage than a conventional boom with a vastly reduced water rate. He's to organise an English brochure in the new year.

View attachment 72672 View attachment 72673 View attachment 72674

The air kit consists of a PTO driven hydraulic pump, an oil tank, a big fan and obviously the air bag itself

View attachment 72675 View attachment 72676 View attachment 72677 View attachment 72678 View attachment 72679

A bit different alright . Thanks for sharing.

@Vry has put some photos in the last few days , that are a bit different too.

Did you take out a bag of black puddings , :rolleyes2::smile:

Sleeve boom sprayers seem to have come and gone here. There were some Hardi sprayers around with them back in the 90’s. I think @Hardysplicer ran one a sleeve boom for a while?

The Dutch also had a system on sprayers consisting of a strip of perspex running along the length of the boom - the forward movement of the boom with the strip causes a downward air draught which is supposed to aid penetration of the crop canopy.

Sleeve boom sprayers seem to have come and gone here. There were some Hardi sprayers around with them back in the 90’s. I think @Hardysplicer ran one a sleeve boom for a while?

The Dutch also had a system on sprayers consisting of a strip of perspex running along the length of the boom - the forward movement of the boom with the strip causes a downward air draught which is supposed to aid penetration of the crop canopy.
From my understanding of what he was telling me this guy and a former business partner patented an air system in 1984 and ran into a legal conflict with Hardi over it at the time. Hardi won the case, he's still very sore about it as he feels they robbed the design, the patents have run out at this stage so he's gone back to making them again.

From my understanding of what he was telling me this guy and a former business partner patented an air system in 1984 and ran into a legal conflict with Hardi over it at the time. Hardi won the case, he's still very sore about it as he feels they robbed the design, the patents have run out at this stage so he's gone back to making them again.

I’d say the progress in low drift nozzles has probably limited the sales of sleeve booms too

Resurrecting an old thread, my GA 0.3 blue nozzles are due to be replaced after this season. I find them a good all-round nozzle, but soft and need replacement quicker than most others.
I am going to try a BFS bubble jet and a Teejet AIXR, recommended by Tom Jenkinson. I have had AIXR nozzles for years and get on well with them.
Anything else I should be trying?
IMG_20220523_193032.jpgIMG_20220523_193540.jpgIMG_20220523_193614.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread, my GA 0.3 blue nozzles are due to be replaced after this season. I find them a good all-round nozzle, but soft and need replacement quicker than most others.
I am going to try a BFS bubble jet and a Teejet AIXR, recommended by Tom Jenkinson. I have had AIXR nozzles for years and get on well with them.
Anything else I should be trying?
View attachment 107554View attachment 107555View attachment 107556
What does your supplier offer?
Bfs xrays?

He only had Bubble Jets & Pulvar (the new modern ones for the electronic controlled pulsing sprayers)
I would like to try the XRays.
The xrays come as straight or angled,which would you go for?

Angled back is supposed to stop drift as your like pausing the droplets after you've travelled forward🤷‍♂️

The xrays come as straight or angled,which would you go for?

Angled back is supposed to stop drift as your like pausing the droplets after you've travelled forward🤷‍♂️
I like angled nozzles, but 30* is a big angle, I like the 12* angle on the guardian air.

Is there a huge difference in any of them air induction nozzles? don’t they all work on the same principle (Venturi). I have only ever used the GA ones and I find them great when you have to work in less than ideal conditions. They almost eliminate drift.

Is there a huge difference in any of them air induction nozzles? don’t they all work on the same principle (Venturi). I have only ever used the GA ones and I find them great when you have to work in less than ideal conditions. They almost eliminate drift.
I’d be careful not to get an air induction that are too coarse. The GA was long regarded as a good balance between droplet size & drift.
Did some T2 on high ground on Saturday evening with GA’s, it was much windier than I’d like but wanted to get it done.
Boom was kept tight to the crop and was only moving at 5.5kph, I got out a few times to check but leaves were drowned with spray so I was pleased.

Why the reluctance for better coverage with smaller droplet size, outside of less than ideal weather conditions.

Gone be with the days I would be spraying beet at 5am @under 100ltrs per ha and high pressure 😅

Why the reluctance for better coverage with smaller droplet size, outside of less than ideal weather conditions.

Gone be with the days I would be spraying beet at 5am @under 100ltrs per ha and high pressure 😅
Life is full of compromise, but small droplet size is not always best

I'm ignorant on this, but say for a fungicide, would small droplets, giving greater coverage not be best with angled nozzles
The droplets from an air induction nozzles spread on the leaf, for fungicide air induction nozzles can have an advantage.
The latest fashion in the UK is for extremely coarse droplet size nozzles Teejet TTI60
https://www.teejet.com/CMSImages/TEEJET/documents/bulletins/spray-application/LI-TJ201-TTI60.pdf
madness I think, but Syngenta are now copying them.

The droplets from an air induction nozzles spread on the leaf, for fungicide air induction nozzles can have an advantage.
The latest fashion in the UK is for extremely coarse droplet size nozzles Teejet TTI60
https://www.teejet.com/CMSImages/TEEJET/documents/bulletins/spray-application/LI-TJ201-TTI60.pdf
madness I think, but Syngenta are now copying them.
Droplets will be more influenced by surface tension and the make up of the liquid been applied over the nozzle selection I would think, maybe I'm completely wrong

Droplets will be more influenced by surface tension and the make up of the liquid been applied over the nozzle selection I would think, maybe I'm completely wrong
There were surfactants that use to affect air induction nozzles, from dim and distant memory was it, Silwet??????
But in general droplet, size and most other important characteristics are effected most by nozzle choice and pressure.
1653380366768.png

I just keep it pretty simple @gone. I have a set of the auld amistar nozzles, set of defy and a set of flat fans, and 035 air inclusion; have a set of sprinkler nozzles for liquid fert there too, but only put them on for the job. All 035 running at 2.5/3 bar. Generally running at 150l/ha. Sometimes up or down a bit on water volume depending on job and conditions. For most things the flat fans are my go to after many years of bollixing with nozzles.

I just keep it pretty simple @gone. I have a set of the auld amistar nozzles, set of defy and a set of flat fans, and 035 air inclusion; have a set of sprinkler nozzles for liquid fert there too, but only put them on for the job. All 035 running at 2.5/3 bar. Generally running at 150l/ha. Sometimes up or down a bit on water volume depending on job and conditions. For most things the flat fans are my go to after many years of bollixing with nozzles.
I am pretty much the same, the nozzles are way harder to swap between on the Bateman than it was on the Knight.
I am now doing most of the spraying with Blue 0.3 Guardian Air I have Red 0.4 Defy 3D which are great for very small grass weeds on a calm day and I have Red Albuz air induction twin nozzles which are brilliant on Broadleaf crops and the head spray on wheat. I have a set of Red flat fans but don't even have them fitted anymore.
STRIPE drove me away from them, is it even a thing anymore?

Back