Oak stakes

Ouldfella

Hi, I've looked for information on turning oak thinnings - (10 - 20 cm diameter), into farm stakes, but can't find a thread on this.
I'm thinning 20 yr old oak plantation, and many of the logs are lovely and straight.
Has anyone experience on using them as fencing stakes? Do they need to be debarked?
I bought square oak stakes 40 yrs ago, they are still there. Brutal to get staples in, but we didn't have cordless drills in those days. They had no treatment at all.
Any views/ information would be welcome.
Would be a shame to sell them for firewood.
Thanks.

Hi, I've looked for information on turning oak thinnings - (10 - 20 cm diameter), into farm stakes, but can't find a thread on this.
I'm thinning 20 yr old oak plantation, and many of the logs are lovely and straight.
Has anyone experience on using them as fencing stakes? Do they need to be debarked?
I bought square oak stakes 40 yrs ago, they are still there. Brutal to get staples in, but we didn't have cordless drills in those days. They had no treatment at all.
Any views/ information would be welcome.
Would be a shame to sell them for firewood.
Thanks.
In general, with standard treatment stakes will last roughly the length the timber had being growing and without treatment they tend to last half that.
My father used Oak thinnings as stakes without treatment, some lasted about 5 years, others a few years more, but very few last 10.

In general, with standard treatment stakes will last roughly the length the timber had being growing and without treatment they tend to last half that.
My father used Oak thinnings as stakes without treatment, some lasted about 5 years, others a few years more, but very few last 10.
So would that be the same for pine?

I’ve a small plantation that’s been in about 45 years and I was thinking they’d make good strainers,if I dried them before dipping in creosote what lifespan would I get?

So would that be the same for pine?

I’ve a small plantation that’s been in about 45 years and I was thinking they’d make good strainers,if I dried them before dipping in creosote what lifespan would I get?
In my experience roughly speaking yes, but only the first 10' of the trunk will be 40 years old and the bottom couple of feet 45, if you know what I mean, no point in thinking the trunk 30 feet in the air is 45 years old.
Treating timber is a lost art, sitka and it's like don't take treatment well, I think if they can be cut fresh and stood immediately into the creosote, it will be drawn up into the timber as it dries. Other way is to kill the tree standing and let it dry before cutting, that was the way a lot of old timers use to do it.

In my experience roughly speaking yes, but only the first 10' of the trunk will be 40 years old and the bottom couple of feet 45, if you know what I mean, no point in thinking the trunk 30 feet in the air is 45 years old.
Treating timber is a lost art, sitka and it's like don't take treatment well, I think if they can be cut fresh and stood immediately into the creosote, it will be drawn up into the timber as it dries. Other way is to kill the tree standing and let it dry before cutting, that was the way a lot of old timers use to do it.
Good idea I'll feed a few some round-up. 👍

Good idea I'll feed a few some round-up. 👍
The old way was to ring bark, or girdle the tree with a saw
1607448668615.png

This was a great way to stop very good hard wood like Oak from twisting and splitting while drying.

The old way was to ring bark, or girdle the tree with a saw
View attachment 85096

This was a great way to stop very good hard wood like Oak from twisting and splitting while drying.
“Every days a school day”

I killed an ash tree last year by cutting the bark away with a bill hook,I never knew it was done purposely.

Thank you. That's good information.
Any views on debarking?

Back