Oil in barrels

I am putting in 5w30 semi synthetic oil into one of the landcrusiers as per the book, my mechanic said it maybe no harm to now move to a thicker oil as she burns a little and a tiny bit smokey. 600k on it so is going nicely, good idea?

I am putting in 5w30 semi synthetic oil into one of the landcrusiers as per the book, my mechanic said it maybe no harm to now move to a thicker oil as she burns a little and a tiny bit smokey. 600k on it so is going nicely, good idea?
In my opinion yes.
The move to a 10w40 might slightly reduce the oil use, slightly increase the oil pressure and give slightly better lubrication of the old parts.
The 5w30 or even more modern 0w20 oils are great for cold starts and very fine tolerances of new modern engines, but as those engines get older they could do with thicker oil.

Most of the Lucas oil additives for worn engines are really thick and are really just upping the weight of the oil.

I ran out of semi synthetic oil when last changing the oil in the hilux so used fully synthetic instead as I had a drum of it here. Still doesn’t use any oil and no other noticeable difference.

Think I may have seen the name on a can or bottle somewhere lately but back in the day of plugs and points it was either Duckhams or Castrol for top name in oil.
And Duckhams cans had a kind of press release cap or lid. You popped the middle of the cap down which spread the sides open and the lid just lifted off.

Straight 30 weight, it was engine oil for the Dexta or Fergie 20. No detergents or additives, just straight lubricating engine oil. The backend used straight 40 weight oil.
I'm fairly sure I can remember that oil or similar getting poured into a VW Beetle many many moons ago when I was a chap. Mind you I can also remember traveling home from cutting silage in the back of that car and looking down in amazement at the road passing under my feet through a hole in the floor. I'd say I was probably 6 ish at the time.

I'm fairly sure I can remember that oil or similar getting poured into a VW Beetle many many moons ago when I was a chap. Mind you I can also remember traveling home from cutting silage in the back of that car and looking down in amazement at the road passing under my feet through a hole in the floor. I'd say I was probably 6 ish at the time.
The hole in the floor was for the brakes Fred Flintstone style. Beetle drum brakes were never going to stop a load of anything towed with a beetle. Was often tempted to cut holes in the sides of one near the engine, the sparkplugs were nigh on impossible to reach when changing them from behind, two each side of the horizontally opposed engine.

The hole in the floor was for the brakes Fred Flintstone style. Beetle drum brakes were never going to stop a load of anything towed with a beetle. Was often tempted to cut holes in the sides of one near the engine, the sparkplugs were nigh on impossible to reach when changing them from behind, two each side of the horizontally opposed engine.
This particular car had the rear brakes er' disconnected due to corrosion eating the brake line in half. I only know that as the relative who had it gave it to me to make a buggy out of. I still have the remains of it although I never did get any further then cutting the rotten body off it.

That story reminds me of an old neighbour of ours , dead 3 years around now.
A farmer who tipped along , never had a car newer than a teenager , smoked Woodbines until he couldnt get them any longer . Always a great man for music and dancing in lounges , a teetotaller until 70 odd . He went to the doctor for a check up , who told him that drinking Lucozade while out on his nightly rambles was not going to end well , and that he might be better to drink an odd glass of beer . He tried the beer , didnt really like it , tried whiskey , which he developed a fondness for .

One very frosty night , in his Lucozade drinking time , as he made his way homewards in an elderly Hillman Hunter with plenty of ventilation holes in the floor , and no operational heater , he was stopped by a guard , who thought that the erratic driving was down to a large intake of alcohol . Jimmy opened the window . Guard says to Him , " Cold night out ". Jimmy replied , " You should be in here , Guard ". Story was told by his travelling companion , whose son and grandson have the mans farm leased now .

A farmer who tipped along , never had a car newer than a teenager , smoked Woodbines until he couldnt get them any longer . Always a great man for music and dancing in lounges , a teetotaller until 70 odd . He went to the doctor for a check up , who told him that drinking Lucozade while out on his nightly rambles was not going to end well , and that he might be better to drink an odd glass of beer . He tried the beer , didnt really like it , tried whiskey , which he developed a fondness for .

One very frosty night , in his Lucozade drinking time , as he made his way homewards in an elderly Hillman Hunter with plenty of ventilation holes in the floor , and no operational heater , he was stopped by a guard , who thought that the erratic driving was down to a large intake of alcohol . Jimmy opened the window . Guard says to Him , " Cold night out ". Jimmy replied , " You should be in here , Guard ". Story was told by his travelling companion , whose son and grandson have the mans farm leased now
The first car I had on the road had no thermostat fitted due to a hairline crack in the cylinder head causing heating issues if a stat was fitted. Often got into the car at 2am in the town on a Saturday night and there’d be frost on the inside the glass for most of the journey until about 5 of us caused it to melt with our breath. Seemed much warmer outside at the time. Wasn’t long sorting that engine out I can tell you.

Every man and his dog around virginia was meant to have a beetle back in the day. Have heard of lads pulling everything from milk tanks to the co op to new balers home with them, had a friend who was well known to bring calfs around in the back of his. Was doing work for a man a while back (the first owner of my tractor) and he had his first Volkswagen a bright yellow beetle to his last one a bright yellow mk1 golf albeit there wasn't much left of them .

The first car I had on the road had no thermostat fitted due to a hairline crack in the cylinder head causing heating issues if a stat was fitted. Often got into the car at 2am in the town on a Saturday night and there’d be frost on the inside the glass for most of the journey until about 5 of us caused it to melt with our breath. Seemed much warmer outside at the time. Wasn’t long sorting that engine out I can tell you.
Anyone who says a mark ll fiesta with .996L(I think that was it's displacement) engine can't be overheated send them on this way. Myself and a couple of the lads got ourselves one for a while years ago to rally around the roads legally (well it was taxed, tested and insured, I'll come back to speed limits) and I can say we boiled it on a regular basis. It wasn't unusual to have it shoving water and engine out on a forecourt of a McDonald's drive through. Every Saturday night the 3 of us took it in turns to set a new land speed record in it with several boxes of beer in the boot. 96 mph was the best and it fecked the engine doing it. It only had a 4 speed box and God knows what revs it was hitting but it frequently went into 3rd for more power which didn't really add anything other then a roar.

Anyone who says a mark ll fiesta with .996L(I think that was it's displacement) engine can't be overheated send them on this way. Myself and a couple of the lads got ourselves one for a while years ago to rally around the roads legally (well it was taxed, tested and insured, I'll come back to speed limits) and I can say we boiled it on a regular basis. It wasn't unusual to have it shoving water and engine out on a forecourt of a McDonald's drive through. Every Saturday night the 3 of us took it in turns to set a new land speed record in it with several boxes of beer in the boot. 96 mph was the best and it fecked the engine doing it. It only had a 4 speed box and God knows what revs it was hitting but it frequently went into 3rd for more power which didn't really add anything other then a roar.
You really redlined her at that, my 4 speed at that time did 4000rpm at 60 mph, wasn't brave enough to take it over 70mph. The one time I got near it the bonnet started to float around a bit so it was safer to ease off a bit.

One very frosty night , in his Lucozade drinking time , as he made his way homewards in an elderly Hillman Hunter with plenty of ventilation holes in the floor , and no operational heater , he was stopped by a guard , who thought that the erratic driving was down to a large intake of alcohol . Jimmy opened the window . Guard says to Him , " Cold night out ". Jimmy replied , " You should be in here , Guard ". Story was told by his travelling companion , whose son and grandson have the mans farm leased now .

Back before the covid I was coming home from Wexford one night in the vitara and I decided to stop at a chipper in Carlow town. I forgot to turn back on the lights and when I did I noticed a guarda car following me. They followed me for a couple of miles and then pulled me over. The guards were two ban guardi and one of them looked as nervous as I was and I started to relax a bit. The nervous one looked at the windscreen and discovered that I had a few small details wrong on the windscreen. It was a classic case of good cop bad cop as the other guard asked me sarcasticly did I think that I was a great lad driving without all my paperwork right while the other one was apologicly telling me that they would have to take the jeep. I said that I didnt mind where they went in the jeep once they put me up the night and then they tried a different tack and asked me had I been drinking. Its for the want of it says I and this caused a bit of a panic amoungst them and led to them ringing the station for advice. Their superiour advised them to do a breath test on me and if I passed let me off on my merry way.

Back before the covid I was coming home from Wexford one night in the vitara and I decided to stop at a chipper in Carlow town. I forgot to turn back on the lights and when I did I noticed a guarda car following me. They followed me for a couple of miles and then pulled me over. The guards were two ban guardi and one of them looked as nervous as I was and I started to relax a bit. The nervous one looked at the windscreen and discovered that I had a few small details wrong on the windscreen. It was a classic case of good cop bad cop as the other guard asked me sarcasticly did I think that I was a great lad driving without all my paperwork right while the other one was apologicly telling me that they would have to take the jeep. I said that I didnt mind where they went in the jeep once they put me up the night and then they tried a different tack and asked me had I been drinking. Its for the want of it says I and this caused a bit of a panic amoungst them and led to them ringing the station for advice. Their superiour advised them to do a breath test on me and if I passed let me off on my merry way.
The one set of discs does everything does it :whistle:

Back