old style diesel pump, that you fill with engine oil?.

tinman

Very Senior Member
toyota 2j engine, rare enuf specimen if im right.

it has a nippon denso pump,
the type that has an oil bath in it,
it has a dipstick on the pump to check oil level, see photo.
seems there is diesel in the reservoir instead of engine oil,
anyone farmiliar with this type of pump?
if there is diesel in the reservoir i know its most likely a recon of the pump, but the engine is going, and is new to me, possibly filled with diesel by the last owner, god only knows, so before i go whippin it off to get it done up, i would like to try a fill of eng oil in it first, to see what happens.

i cant see a visible drain plug on it anywhere, the hole down to the oil is app 6mm in dia, too long for a syringe needle to suck it out.

it would be similar to the pumps on the fordsons iirc.
there is writing on the side plate but its faded in places leaving out some of the more valuable info.
any thoughts?.

Attachments

• DSCF4641.jpg
    DSCF4641.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4646.jpg
    DSCF4646.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4643.jpg
    DSCF4643.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF4659.jpg
    DSCF4659.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
put a thin pipe on the end of the syringe and suck it out

its that small a hole im going to have to rob one of the pipes on my lego digger to get it out,
not much pipe about thats the internal dia of a syringe nedle!.

are you familiar with the pump grumpy?

its just a standard inline pump if it was off a landy it would be cheap to replace but a jap one will be a fortune.a copper brake pipe fit in the hole?

its just a standard inline pump if it was off a landy it would be cheap to replace but a jap one will be a fortune.a copper brake pipe fit in the hole?

it will, ill make up a siphon thingy tomorrow and use the air gun to suck it out.

what was the need for the whole figalie of pipes on them, the newer pumps are more simple, on the outside at least.
it works on a vacuum of some kind, to a form of a carb set up on the intake manifold,
would i be right in saying that the vacuum pipes work on the govenor of the pump.

i took apart a diesel pump one time when i was 14, off the old mans B-275,
it was done neway, but curiosity couldnt stop me,
didnt take me long to figure out that, there is horses for courses!.

i once stalled a zetor backing up a brae,it rolled forwards still in gear and started up spinning the wrong way sucking air in the exhaust and blowing out the air cleaner.sat there for a few secs thinking what the feck is going on:laugh:

the ol mans done that with our 7745 a few times i didnt belive him until i saw him do it 1 day
old girl ran ticking over for a good 30 seconds before he stalled it

i think it may be exclusive to zetors,some thing peculiar to their injection pumps it was tinman talking about pumps that reminded me.

gees, no more than that, id never of believed an engine would do it.
must look a sight.:lol:

Whats the pump fitted to ?tip it on its side and let it run out more liable to take most of the gunge out with it. :whistling: :sneaky2:

Whats the pump fitted to ?tip it on its side and let it run out more liable to take most of the gunge out with it. :whistling: :sneaky2:

radical thinking i like it:thumbup1:lets get the block and tackle in and coup the hi lux upside down:thumbup:

ended up sucking out the diesel in the pump with the yoke for sucking out the engine oil, one of the tubes fitted down the hole,
i filled it up with eng oil to the mark and left to bake,
ill see in a while if its fillin up with diesel.

Back