Older diggers for farm use

If money would allow I'd have a track machine for my own use,anything from 14 ton to 40 ton
one of contractors that was down at the port had track machines in the boat. 20t machines usually end of last year he went out buying a new to him machine and they asked the salesman for a 20 odd ton machine. he pointed at a case 160 digger. they looked at him with puzzled faces asking if he did not know what a 20t machine was. he said them and a lot of other makes and models are a lot heavier these days compared to whats on the bonnet as the 160 was a 19t machine. they bought it and he was right. bucket on, full tank of diesel, driver of the crane lifting the digger into the boat said it was over 19t

one of contractors that was down at the port had track machines in the boat. 20t machines usually end of last year he went out buying a new to him machine and they asked the salesman for a 20 odd ton machine. he pointed at a case 160 digger. they looked at him with puzzled faces asking if he did not know what a 20t machine was. he said them and a lot of other makes and models are a lot heavier these days compared to whats on the bonnet as the 160 was a 19t machine. they bought it and he was right. bucket on, full tank of diesel, driver of the crane lifting the digger into the boat said it was over 19t
I remember getting to operate a cat 365c one time and contrary to the sticker it was 74 tons I think

Reactions: c4l
View attachment 131645
I bought this Komatsu off the company I work for. It's a 2006 14 ton machine. I paid 15k for it which might be on the high side but It always got whatever it needed and was very well looked after.
If its reasonable mechanical wise and undercarriage that's very good value.
Buying from a known source us worth a lot as digger clocks are very flexible in my experience.
The komatsu may be dearer for parts than Hitachi but if its a genuine machine should be a cheap machine long term

Got a contractor about a month ago to do some work for me with a digger. He said not many know he had a digger but he got it to keep a worker busy. He wanted a 14t machine but they were too expensive, he ended up getting a 21t machine for similar money and he felt it was better value for the work he intended using it for.
I had a 24t Samsung,great digger but it never left the farm and didn’t have a quick hitch,I’ve both diggers on the same quick hitch and they share 8 buckets/attachments,also move them with my own trailer,it’d be hard to go to a bigger machine again.
I’m half on the lookout for a Hitachi to replace my Hyundai and Js130,2nd hand have dropped a bit recently and I’d feel robbed trading against new,not keen on adblue either,hmm…

The 6 tons were always the same price as the 13, it didn't make sense when you could get a bigger machine for the same money.
The 4, 6 & 8 tons were dear because they were easy to move on a trailer, the 20 tons were cheap as they were harder to move on a trailer
To a certain extent yes, but each has their merits, smaller digger will be, well smaller for tighter spaces, rubber tracks easier on concrete/tarmac, most have a knuckle boom of some sort, useful for tight spots or a trench tight to a wall, most have the blade too.
Only what I find, we have a 3 ton, which would be too small on it’s own but with the 13 ton we have it works well, 13 ton doesn’t get used much really now (it’s as old as the hills) but I love using it, the power and speed, but it is cumbersome in a tight spot.

Back