Older diggers for farm use

Project 8 has it anyway, presume later ones have it too. Wish track machines had the option, 30 years on 3cxs has me fixed on the X controls.
I had the uncle's hitatchi down at a friend's clearing topsoil from a site. I was scraping it back into a pile beside the friends 3cx so I could load the dumber over the ditch for it to be drawn down the field. I got sick of the 3cx after and hour from the switching over and back and just piled it and loaded it when I was done with the ex60. At the same time I was clearing drains with his yolk and once I got used to it it was grand. It's a great digger other than that. Your man that I'm doing up the david brown for I buying a nice 91 3cx with the 4 in 1 bucket and the powerslide back actor. A good digger for under 10000

ford A66 because deep down you,re a ford man, other than that a matbro pivot steer a neighbour has one and he feeds nearly 400 cows with it every winter and it isn,t spared, 1995 model bought for 5000 euro 5 yrs ago
I remember a fella on a US forum had an A66 totally refurbished with rebuilt transmission and a Cummins engine , it looked a serious piece of kit

Underneath the rear console you can switch the back actor controls from X to + if you so wished.
Its not just a lever though is it? I presume you have to do a bit of ripping of bolts etc.? (and hoses if you want to get it to an excavator pattern)
The mini digger here has a lever that will change it from the usual excavator patttern, to what you might have on a 50hx etc (boom and dipper functions reversed really)

I'd have that Volvo of towbar's bought with a forum discount only for the access is a death trap for older people in my view.

I probably need to adjust my expectations so or compromise on something.
Access is a downside alright, fine for jobs that your staying in cab for, but nipping in and out through roof is not for everyone. Much like a skid steer.

Its not just a lever though is it? I presume you have to do a bit of ripping of bolts etc.? (and hoses if you want to get it to an excavator pattern)
The mini digger here has a lever that will change it from the usual excavator patttern, to what you might have on a 50hx etc (boom and dipper functions reversed really)
Two little clamps need to be loosened and the control base will swivel 45 degrees to the desired position. No pipes or anything major needs disturbing.

Two little clamps need to be loosened and the control base will swivel 45 degrees to the desired position. No pipes or anything major needs disturbing.
Unless you want it to be the same as excavators, ie, boom on the right and dipper on the left
Then you are into hose swapping!
I actually like the JCB X pattern, and find I can go from it to excavator pattern without thinking about it,
The different seating and lever positions of both tends to put you into the frame of mind for each pattern if that makes any sense
That said, I wouldnt be a genius on either!

Probably the best thread for it.

Does such a thing or things exist.

Cheaper loader, digger, telescopic or something materials handling.

Decent reach/lift height, decent lift capacity, a decent cab for some comfort yet reasonably manoverable in tight places. In decent condition.

Well under 10k and closer to half if possible.

Answers on a postcard please.
Are we allowed to have a new thread dedicated to finding you a loader:lol:

Anyone any thoughts as to what this is?

I'm assuming that cab isn't original. Is it a 50 or a 40 with a 50b cab?

Wheels dont look right to me for a 40

I think that it's a 50 , with a 50B cab " Planted " on top of it , badly .
It has a 50 loader , with parallel linkage .
40 is a different loader completely.
It looks to have a 212 engine , exhaust on the right . A 40 has a 152 engine , same as a 135.
It has 28 inch wheels . A 40 has 24s , very low to the ground .

I think that it's a 50 , with a 50B cab " Planted " on top of it , badly .
It has a 50 loader , with parallel linkage .
40 is a different loader completely.
It looks to have a 212 engine , exhaust on the right . A 40 has a 152 engine , same as a 135.
It has 28 inch wheels . A 40 has 24s , very low to the ground .

I'd agree, the photos are a bit scarce..

Just idle curiosity but did the 50s have a three point linkage top cover and PTO underneath the backhoe? I think the 40s did

Just idle curiosity but did the 50s have a three point linkage top cover and PTO underneath the backhoe? I think the 40s did

Any 50s that I've seen didn't have a lift cover . Some lads might have put tractor back ends in , from bell housing back .
Torque no good to pull . Plus , if you stop going forward in a torque , and then reverse , pto will then turn backwards. Did on a 65R anyway.

Some of them did, it was all depending on what market they were being supplied into, some of the mf ex 50 s were supplied with pto and lift arms and some with none,

Some of them did, it was all depending on what market they were being supplied into, some of the mf ex 50 s were supplied with pto and lift arms and some with none,

I think that only came in during the 80s though and not with the earlier generations of MF50s

Any 50s that I've seen didn't have a lift cover . Some lads might have put tractor back ends in , from bell housing back .
Torque no good to pull . Plus , if you stop going forward in a torque , and then reverse , pto will then turn backwards. Did on a 65R anyway.
They were meant to be a far better digger than the JCB back in the day so one of the best mechanics around here told me today. Said you couldn't sweep with the jcbs because of the rack and pinion setup that the kingpost turned on.

They were meant to be a far better digger than the JCB back in the day so one of the best mechanics around here told me today. Said you couldn't sweep with the jcbs because of the rack and pinion setup that the kingpost turned on.
Anyone who I ever spoke to who drove them "back in the day" always said the JCB was better for digging and the Massey was better for loading.

Back