Once a day milking

I am 34 and my father is 69 and yes farm is handed over to me .
I do have a patient wife but she is getting sick of me going on now .
I am going to have to get into my doctor again about this again which I don't like doing because all he is going to do is give me a load of tablets and send me on my way .
Yes cows are performing well and there is a few pound to employ some 1if they could be got .

I do have a patient wife but she is getting sick of me going on now .
I am going to have to get into my doctor again about this again which I don't like doing because all he is going to do is give me a load of tablets and send me on my way .
Yes cows are performing well and there is a few pound to employ some 1if they could be got .
Do you or have you ever played sports?
Knocking out a few km a day on a bicycle, lifting weights or anything on a consistent basis really would be a big help.

It certainly helps me

Do you or have you ever played sports?
Knocking out a few km a day on a bicycle, lifting weights or anything on a consistent basis really would be a big help.

It certainly helps me
Great point. 5 a side or tag rugby would be my personal favourites and a good way to meet people also

I dont mean to be rude here but from reading all your posts I really don't think you see how good you have things. your lucky enough to have a wife and kids who you get to spend time with and watch grow up everyday and alot of jobs won't allow you to do that. I'm only 25 and single but we milk a similar number of cows to you in the same size parlour as you and were gone out of the place most evenings for 6:30 to 7. Who cares about hours between milking? Try and go for the cows at 4 every evening, finish up and get outta the place. Family is the most important thing and if you can't spend time with your wife and children and if farming is making you this unhappy, sell the cows and lease the place. Who gives a toss what anyone thinks once you and your family are happy. Il add that this covid has put an awful amount of pressure on people and there was plenty times this spring I was very sick of calving and early mornings but finishing up early in the evening and going out for a few pints with friends will always make a huge difference

I don't play sports but did years ago,is cycling a good hobby (dangerous I would think)
I wouldn't mind 5 a side but don't know where I could get 5 lads to do it .

I don't play sports but did years ago,is cycling a good hobby (dangerous I would think)
I wouldn't mind 5 a side but don't know where I could get 5 lads to do it .
You need to start trying new ways of doing things man! You have a seriously negative attitude and none of your issues will change if you don’t change that. Anyway I’ve given you my advice best of luck with things.

Hmmm afew points.

You need more than just a doctor who prescribes you afew pills. Antidepressants can be part of the solution, however it's all a hell of alot more complicated than take afew happy pills and go on your way. Instead go and find a proper counsellor who will dig a hell of alot deeper as to what needs to change within your life.

Farminglad advice about John of Gods, thats not bad advice at all, very extreme jump for you right now, however the longer you stay on this path and the further down this depression rabbit hole you go the more you'll need to seriously consider it (and I'm hoping things won't spiral any worse for you, but trust me they could).

In terms of the farm, your being hard on yourself. And many of us dairyfarmer are. 12hour lonely days, doing many jobs we don't want to, in sh1te weather, financial pressures, stress, societal issues (farming getting a bad reputation with the public the min). But as a result, there is always milk on the shelves! We export alot of milk to China, a country who still has a significant rural working class, and their aim is to feed each child half a pint of milk, so a herd of 100 cows helps feed 2000 kids a day. And fcuk the environment or vegan argument here, whats their alternative solution, they have none, those kids remain longer in a nutritional deficiency than they need to, simple as is. And alongside all this, you have brought a daughter into the world, which is a wonderful thing, but also
a serious change and disruption to your life. So yep, your in a rough enough place podge and not at all enjoying dairying the min by the sound of it, but at least take some pride that you sound like a very competent and productive man, and you doing very useful work despite all the challenges.

Your immediate relationships. 2bh sounds like all of these need work. Your dad. Where do I start ha, because trust me have that t-shirt. You've signed over the land etc, but I'm guessing he still pulls many the strings in the business end. You aren't going to radically change him ever, but you can most certainly change the circumstances with him, suggestions I'd make are set alot better boundaries, the eveningtime milking beings a very important one, but also set boundaries like we are working alongside eachother for like 10hours every day, and irritable with eachother as a result, so aim to work independent of eachother for more hours of the day. Are you actually both needed in the parlour at the minute? If not then either try to get him outa the parlour some of the time, or you go off and do something else during milking. And that doesn't need to be one big immediate step, bring the cows in, get everything setup, and you walk away to change strip wire etc for 1st 5 rows, and come back then. Anyways next relationship. Your wife. You say she's patience but getting sick of you going on by now. 2bh you need to sit down and have a hell of alot more serious conversation with her about your whole situation. Does she know about the antidepressants? And finally about relationships, who else you got very close to you, who you can (and hopefully do) talk through all this about? That's what close friends are about, often they are just an ear to listen to, but someone you get stuff off your chest to about, and if they are good empathetic friends (which you defo need one or 2 close ones like that ha), then across time they can help you rationalise your whole situation and continuously check in that your improving all of it.

Ok final point. The bigger picture. Have you any sort of 1yr, 5yr hell even 10yr plan ha?? You got one daughter, any plans for more children? Your asking loads and loads of questions here about the future of your farm, many of them quite radical, stuff you can't immediately jump into. You need to think long and hard about all this, and plan out afew longer term goals, and work towards them. Sticking with the dairying is almost definitely the most straightforward in terms of the economics etc, but 12hour day's is absolutely not sustainable. However if your heart really not in it and you got a good alternative option (which I don't think you do have yet??), Then work towards getting out of dairying, life too short and your mental health cannot afford to stuffer anymore. Set afew targets with your immediate relationships, your time outside the farm, go book into some real counselling, and aim to slowly work your way out of this whole mess, best of luck and keep us updated across time here.

Great advice there Tim and everyone else too thanks .
I will have to try and sort out my mental health first any way and see what happens after that .
Not sure whether is dairy farming and the long hours has made me this way .

From reading this thread I think you will need to seek proper counselling but I also think you will need to get tell some independent person your problems and the way you are feeling and get them to speak to your Dad. Maybe your mother might be able to get round him and let him know how low and unhappy you with the current situation. As said already many members would give an arm and a leg to have your set up.

Is your mam still alive? As someone said there it might be easier to talk to her and she say it to your dad. You can't continue as you are. Make a deadline in your head of when you want things to change by.

Last edited:
Well then I think I would focus on that part of the problem. Not sure how though. Maybe some other family member . A sibling of your r his?? If you can get some closure on this you will definitely see then why people would like to b in your position. There will b brighter days ahead. You have a wife and kid to enjoy life with so this will give you a hugh incentive to get true your current problems.

Over here there is a big movement on mental health in farming. And a few support charities being set up specifically in the industry.

Is there any such thing over in Ireland?

It's hard for councillors to figure a farming lifestyle out to be fair. It's far removed from most lines of work.

So just to recap to see that I am on the same page or not as fellow dairy farmers,and to go the right way about sorting it out
1.do any of ye ever feel like this job isn't for me ?
2.feel lonely/isolated ?
3.get sick of working 7 days a week ?
4.think of being in another job alot ?

Why is it that farming seems to have the biggest problem with mental health ?

It seems to be more that you are just totally pissed off and fed up with the situation ur in more so than depression ??? Another point is we all have friends that we are envious of for one reason r another but most of us also hav friends that are envious of our situations a just as much.

So just to recap to see that I am on the same page or not as fellow dairy farmers,and to go the right way about sorting it out
2.feel lonely/isolated ?

To be honest Podge, With the exception of the third question, you can be guaranteed there's people in every walk of life that ask themselves those questions at one stage or another.

A lot of the mental health issues you refer to can be put down to loneliness and isolation in particular. There's a fundamental lack of supports for farming communities alone.

2.feel lonely/isolated ?

that's why you need to finish earlier in the evenings and go and do something. Meet people, talk shite. Clear your head.

2.feel lonely/isolated ?

I would of answered a strong yes to all them questions about 6yrs ago. But I've changed a hell of alot since then, both the farm and myself. I still absolutely have rough days where I wanna pack it in lol, but them are thankfully alot rared than before

2.feel lonely/isolated ?

Efficiency has a lot to answer for.
Instead of a group of men looking after a few cows, it's one man to hundreds by now.
Prices haven't actually reflected efficiency, rather driving prices down because of efficiencies. So now there's no margin for extra people. Pressures can't be shared. The whole rural community has gone down because of it really.

Do us a deal.

One repeted thing is milking times.
Try it for a few weeks.
Nothing stopping you going back.
It's basically free to try. So nothing to lose. Perhaps a lot to gain.

Really try though.

To be honest Podge, With the exception of the third question, you can be guaranteed there's people in every walk of life that ask themselves those questions at one stage or another.

A lot of the mental health issues you refer to can be put down to loneliness and isolation in particular. There's a fundamental lack of supports for farming communities alone.
I had several friends and relations who went into accountancy after college and all bar one have left the profession for pretty much the same reasons. Mrs Tafkat worked in the hospitality industry for many years and went away from it, also for much the same reasons, as did many of her friends and classmates.

2.feel lonely/isolated ?

No to all four,but my neighbour was really down with dairying and packed up in February,was speaking to him last night and he feels far better,he is struggling with routine now,watching YouTube till the small hours and drinking at home are his new problems,half the job is knowing your depressed,I know working with his dad was half his problem,his dad would never leave him alone,always at him that he should doing something or he was doing the job wrong.

So 1 last point on the matter, I was talking to a man not so long ago he was saying if you were any way depressed milking cows on your own would be the wrong job to be in. Does this sound kinda right or is it just me again .

Back