painting a house

aidank

I have to paint the exterior wall of my parents house. Its an ordinary plastered block wall, currently painted white, and is staying white.

Yes I know preparation is essential, I will give it a good wash @1700psi first with the powerwasher, and let it dry out after for a few days.

are there any products that can be put on the wall to make the paint stick better

I guess a roller is the best method considering I have a large flat area to paint.

Youtube shows me thisit looks v v v good

Anyone any experience

Last edited:
Use a decent brand of paint whatever you do. Painted a house for an aunt once when I was younger. She supplied the paint. Cheap crap. Switched to better paint on other gable. Night and day difference. Had to paint over the other stuff.

I would spray the walls with sodium hypochlorite first through a knapsack to kill algae and any stains or discolourants if there are any in the existing walls. Then powerwash preferably on a wet day so the dirt is soft already. I use an airless Wagner paint sprayer for speed of application but a roller brush will do the job perfectly. See if you can lay your hands on some old carpet which is ideal for catching drips etc on the ground when placed beside the wall.

I have the exterior wall of my parents house. Its an ordinary plastered block wall, currently painted white, and is staying white.

Yes I know preparation is essential, I will give it a good wash @1700psi first with the powerwasher, and let it dry out after for a few days.

are there any products that can be put on the wall to make the paint stick better

I guess a roller is the best method considering I have a large flat area to paint.

Youtube shows me thisit looks v v v good

Anyone any experience

The Mrs bought one of those rollers. Used it to paint 1 room and it started to leak. It wouldn't be up to painting a full house exterior. A good roller and tray will be far better.

The Mrs bought one of those rollers. Used it to paint 1 room and it started to leak. It wouldn't be up to painting a full house exterior. A good roller and tray will be far better.

that sounds poor, your supposed to lube the seals with vaseline I think from what I see online to get them work properly

Painting is 80% prep, 15% material quality and 5% technique.

Most important thing is to bleach/hypochlorite before you power wash.

Then go as hard as you can with the washer, lift every bit of paint that thinks it might want to come off.

Then clean any edges of flaked off paint, wire brush, scrape and prime with a brush to seal the edge

Do your cutting in with the brush at the same time.

Then roll. Need to be super methodical rolling the second coat, it is easier brushing the second coat because you're closer to the job and with some colours its hard to see when rolling where you've been.

When it's all done sit back in satisfaction and psyche yourself up for doing it again in 4 or 5 years time

that sounds poor, your supposed to lube the seals with vaseline I think from what I see online to get them work properly
It wasn't the seals. The metal pipe feeding the roller cracked after less than an hour of use. It was finished with an ordinary roller. A much better job

I would spray the walls with sodium hypochlorite first through a knapsack to kill algae and any stains or discolourants if there are any in the existing walls. Then powerwash preferably on a wet day so the dirt is soft already. I use an airless Wagner paint sprayer for speed of application but a roller brush will do the job perfectly. See if you can lay your hands on some old carpet which is ideal for catching drips etc on the ground when placed beside the wall.

Been considering one of them myself.
Have a house needs doing that is just a bit too rough for the roller (started the job 3 years ago!!!)

How much masking do you do? Or just cut in a good wide strip?

Have you one you fill or that sucks? Bit price difference in them!

Been considering one of them myself.
Have a house needs doing that is just a bit too rough for the roller (started the job 3 years ago!!!)

How much masking do you do? Or just cut in a good wide strip?

Have you one you fill or that sucks? Bit price difference in them!
Carpet in one meter wide strips is ideal, an old one from a hallway or corridor would be ideal. Carpet is best as it wont blow away with a breeze and is reuseable. Id make up a cardboard template for the windows and tape it in place or else just handpaint a foot all around doorways and windows. With mine it has a suction hose that goes into your bucket of paint and has a small primer hose beside it so pump is circulating paint all the time even while you're spraying. It has different nozzles for wide band spraying (12 inches) and narrow band (4inches) and plenty options in between. Theres around 70ft of hose on mine so there's not much moving with the machine. Biggest job is flushing out the lines and trigger when finished, this could take 20 mins.

Reactions: AYF
Carpet in one meter wide strips is ideal, an old one from a hallway or corridor would be ideal. Carpet is best as it wont blow away with a breeze and is reuseable. Id make up a cardboard template for the windows and tape it in place or else just handpaint a foot all around doorways and windows. With mine it has a suction hose that goes into your bucket of paint and has a small primer hose beside it so pump is circulating paint all the time even while you're spraying. It has different nozzles for wide band spraying (12 inches) and narrow band (4inches) and plenty options in between. Theres around 70ft of hose on mine so there's not much moving with the machine. Biggest job is flushing out the lines and trigger when finished, this could take 20 mins.

MDI you get must mist on floors and things if using it internally Or is it only for external use ?
Just looked at them there on amazon - ones there were big enough money £300-£500. !! They would need to be good at that.

Will have to recommend sandtex fine textured masonry paint, we used it on the exterior wall of our extension 6 year ago, dogs nuts still looks like new and its north facing , does what it says on the tin,

I’m thinking of buying a roller for my airless sprayer,don’t think my tenant will be happy with overspray on the windows.:lol:

MDI you get must mist on floors and things if using it internally Or is it only for external use ?
Just looked at them there on amazon - ones there were big enough money £300-£500. !! They would need to be good at that.
I've only used it outside but you can turn the pressure down low to avoid mist, can be used internally too. The Wagner would cost a good bit more, its more of an industrial machine on 110 volts.

I bought a cheapo airless off eBay,worked fine for a couple years then just gave up,my Wagner is far better but not cheap.

what benefits does the airless have over a regular roller or maybe you use it for painting metal as well

I’ve only ever used it for painting steel work,would be easier painting render as the render wears rollers out,I might try masking up and using carpet as mf30 does,I’ve nothing to loose.

Could you hire an airless sprayer?

I’ve only ever used it for painting steel work,would be easier painting render as the render wears rollers out,I might try masking up and using carpet as mf30 does,I’ve nothing to loose.

Could you hire an airless sprayer?
you can. I hired one for the mist spray on my new build. Good job for that. Flew through the bedrooms, walls and celings in about 4 hours. I'd probably have used it for the final coats if my retired uncle wasn't after a project to do! Did the whole place for me as he loves painting!!

Way I see it for external work. Your dependant on the weather and for us, time to do it. So no point booking it from the hire place for it to just blow a gale all weekend! At least if it's in the shed it's ready to go!

Can always sell it on.

Just gone and ordered one! The house is desperate to be done. I've had two lads quote me and not show up to do it now so bugger it.

I have to get the parents farm house painted, nothing fancy, magnolia, what's the best paint to last, used sandtex the last time 10 years ago but should have been done 2-3 years ago, dulux or Johnstones any good?

I have to get the parents farm house painted, nothing fancy, magnolia, what's the best paint to last, used sandtex the last time 10 years ago but should have been done 2-3 years ago, dulux or Johnstones any good?
I read that Sandtex is about the best. hope it is I've a fortune of it sat in the garage!

Neighbour mixed his with PVA glue. Claimed it would make it last better (and go firther) to ne fair his house does still look good a few years later!

I've only used it outside but you can turn the pressure down low to avoid mist, can be used internally too. The Wagner would cost a good bit more, its more of an industrial machine on 110 volts.

do you still need to give it a rub of the roller after spraying to even it out properly, youtube hinting thats how its done

Back