Peas

I think it was 18% . He is a one man band with land in three counties and a lot of stock and very well organised so I think leaving things handy is his major concern . . He can legally store it in an open shed if he has acid on it and it will be vermin proof . What time will you be up to roll it @Tippcon
The last time I rolled something like that I vividly remember lying under the mill at 2 o'clock in the morning poking it out of the auger with a screwdriver and having a lengthy conversation with myself about alternative ways of trying to earn a living.

The last time I rolled something like that I vividly remember lying under the mill at 2 o'clock in the morning poking it out of the auger with a screwdriver and having a lengthy conversation with myself about alternative ways of trying to earn a living.
We have rolled 100 of tonnes through a mill but the best yoke ever was running it through a Jag with a crimper in .

We have rolled 100 of tonnes through a mill but the best yoke ever was running it through a Jag with a crimper in .
The problem I always found was the rollers should be set fairly wide to roll the peas but they have to be tight to crack the barely so the peas are mashed into a gluey paste that clogs up everything. I believe it was invented by the Chinese as a more extreme form of torture for situations where dripping water on the forehead didn't bring on insanity quickly enough.

The problem I always found was the rollers should be set fairly wide to roll the peas but they have to be tight to crack the barely so the peas are mashed into a gluey paste that clogs up everything. I believe it was invented by the Chinese as a more extreme form of torture for situations where dripping water on the forehead didn't bring on insanity quickly enough.

That will be why the man who has the mill mix and mix lorry who does our milling has a hammer mill on the lorry then rather than a roller mill, never thought of that about the paste in rollers, ,, every day's a school day, he does barley, wheat, beans, all in same mill, he has done peas for us on the past, but every time we try to grow them they look lovely but then go flat as a turd and drive the boss insane trying to harvest so he won't grow em now,,,

@CORK what seed rate to sow peas with barley and undersown to grass. Have peas seed here since last year. I felt it, in me waters, that it would be in short supply this year :rolleyes2:

@CORK what seed rate to sow peas with barley and undersown to grass. Have peas seed here since last year. I felt it, in me waters, that it would be in short supply this year :rolleyes2:

50kg/ac of barley & peas when undersowing grass is what we recommend.
75kg/ac if stand alone without grass.

This is based on a 60:40 ratio by weight of barley and peas. Going by “normal “ seed TGW’s that gives 90% barley & 10% peas by seed number.

Seen a number of times where a farmer rings up giving out that the peas never grew; the pigeons were up before he was....!

50kg/ac of barley & peas when undersowing grass is what we recommend.
75kg/ac if stand alone without grass.

This is based on a 60:40 ratio by weight of barley and peas. Going by “normal “ seed TGW’s that gives 90% barley & 10% peas by seed number.

Seen a number of times where a farmer rings up giving out that the peas never grew; the pigeons were up before he was....!
What seeding rate is recommended for peas now? Or into May?

View attachment 55280 Peas beginning to flower so they'll get their first (and perhaps only) fungicide tomorrow weather permitting. A nice even crop that doesn't yet appear to be showing any signs of drought stress. Will be interesting to see how many pods are set per plant.

Gorgeous looking!

My plots were May sown so still very small. Got their graminicide and a lash of Combitop yesterday evening.

10BE20D5-D8AE-4621-99E6-CA1A8C5802ED.jpeg

Back