Peas

KJL

View attachment 69101 View attachment 69101
This is a why a lot of people don't like peas. Difficult to judge from the pictures but peas have taken a battering, are gone flat and there will be losses. Hope to get them in the next few days. Whenever I see peas dropping like this I cast my mind back to harvest 1997 (the famous August bank holiday) when we had 85 acres of steam rolled peas and a clapped out Senator 85. Suddenly things don't seen so bad.

You obviously have a Macdon flex header like everyone else on Twitter.

Becauka

This is a why a lot of people don't like peas. Difficult to judge from the pictures but peas have taken a battering, are gone flat and there will be losses. Hope to get them in the next few days. Whenever I see peas dropping like this I cast my mind back to harvest 1997 (the famous August bank holiday) when we had 85 acres of steam rolled peas and a clapped out Senator 85. Suddenly things don't seen so bad.
Was it 1997 that the rain went straight through the round bales?

Big Vern

I'm sorry I can't like that picture,,, I can see the bottom of the tramlines e,,,, good luck knifing the binder thru them,, there will be bulldozing lots of dust n crap, the binder will be full of dirt n shyte,,, oh dear,

I'm gonna show that picture to our boss he's on about going to peas next year to replace beans,,,,,:undecided::ban::drool:

Barrowsider

917E1FE1-892B-4ABA-BDD4-9E15EEBF0D36.jpeg Hard to know what to make of peas this year. They flowered very short and early with the heat 3 weeks ago and looked like a repeat of the dismal yields of 2018. Since then though they’ve grown and produced a second flush of flowers with the rain and look a bit more decent. I’m sure the drought has put an end to any bumper yields but all is not lost.0A1100D7-FD42-490C-A72C-0A170A34B578.jpeg

Barrowsider

IMG_0225.jpgIMG_0233.jpg
Harvest is never truly under control here until the peas are in the bag. Didn't think we'd get a chance to finish them today but the sunshine this afternoon was a godsend. They were very well flattened so they didn't need anymore rain. A respectable yield and all going for human consumption. I'll look forward to a nice standing crop of wheat.

ithastopay

View attachment 96136View attachment 96137
Harvest is never truly under control here until the peas are in the bag. Didn't think we'd get a chance to finish them today but the sunshine this afternoon was a godsend. They were very well flattened so they didn't need anymore rain. A respectable yield and all going for human consumption. I'll look forward to a nice standing crop of wheat.
What will you do with the straw?

WestCorkBoy

View attachment 96136View attachment 96137
Can I ask what variety of peas you had? Our combicrop peas were green this week, barley was very nearly ripe so wholecropped it I reckon they were 3-4 weeks from being combinable. Variety was Album I think.

Barrowsider

Can I ask what variety of peas you had? Our combicrop peas were green this week, barley was very nearly ripe so wholecropped it I reckon they were 3-4 weeks from being combinable. Variety was Album I think.
They were Venture. It's the only variety currently available on the Batchelors pea contract. They are grown as feed too AFAIK.