Peas

Sprayed a few peas this morning, first time in a good few years.
View attachment 109339View attachment 109340View attachment 109341
Sprayed a few peas this morning, first time in a good few years.
View attachment 109339View attachment 109340View attachment 109341
Was that the second of a two fungicide programme do you know? I see pods so it would be very late if it was the only application. We find a single full-rate application works fine but then again if we had access to a high clearance sprayer we would be more inclined to go twice. Lodging tends start at the tramlines where the architecture of the crop is disturbed at spraying and the later the application the greater the disturbance. Peas look well this year.

Was that the second of a two fungicide programme do you know? I see pods so it would be very late if it was the only application. We find a single full-rate application works fine but then again if we had access to a high clearance sprayer we would be more inclined to go twice. Lodging tends start at the tramlines where the architecture of the crop is disturbed at spraying and the later the application the greater the disturbance. Peas look well this year.
I am only guessing, but it looked like his tractor and sprayer had been through them fairly recently so I would think it is second.

Has pea straw any value now or was there any reason not to chop it seeing that there wouldn’t be much of it anyway?
We use a lot of straw for bedding each year and find pea haulm brilliant for soakage. It baled up at about 5.5 180kg bales per acre this year so about 1000kg/acre. It might travel the scenic route but it'll be returned to the land eventually.

C9C73126-1C8C-452A-9A5A-3B3E92919194.jpeg47E7D139-F682-480E-86F8-619A8C23AB2E.jpeg
A little later than planned but got the fungicide onto the peas on Saturday. Most are finished flowering. Similar to most spring crops around here the drought has reduced yield potential. The crop is short (which will hopefully help keep it standing) and there’s very few pods further down in the canopy. The drought broke here on the 17th when the top flowers were in bloom and they have all produced pods so the majority of the pods exist in clumps at the top of the canopy. Hopefully they all fill well now.

Attachments

• F4D89972-FC7F-45CF-A375-444041B90840.jpeg
    F4D89972-FC7F-45CF-A375-444041B90840.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 21
IMG_2355.jpgIMG_2360.jpgIMG_2364.jpgBlinded by the dollar signs of the protein aid scheme and with some extra land in need of a good break crop we almost doubled our pea acres this year. Not the brightest idea in hindsight. Every square inch had to be scalped off the ground over the last 4 days. We haven't had peas as flat since 2012 but at least the yield will be better, although still below our 5 year average. Just glad to have them in the store before tonight's rain.

View attachment 126676View attachment 126677View attachment 126678Blinded by the dollar signs of the protein aid scheme and with some extra land in need of a good break crop we almost doubled our pea acres this year. Not the brightest idea in hindsight. Every square inch had to be scalped off the ground over the last 4 days. We haven't had peas as flat since 2012 but at least the yield will be better, although still below our 5 year average. Just glad to have them in the store before tonight's rain.
ooooffffff

any merit in sowing 25-30kgs of wheat with it to help it stand?

ooooffffff

any merit in sowing 25-30kgs of wheat with it to help it stand?
I've never heard of it being done. Would a modern wheat variety growing in high N soil without growth regulator be capable of bearing a full canopy of peas? In a July like the one we've had I'd have my doubts.

I believe there's ongoing trials studying the ability of beans to do similar. I'd say they'd have a better chance but beans are later ripening than peas.

View attachment 126676View attachment 126677View attachment 126678Blinded by the dollar signs of the protein aid scheme and with some extra land in need of a good break crop we almost doubled our pea acres this year. Not the brightest idea in hindsight. Every square inch had to be scalped off the ground over the last 4 days. We haven't had peas as flat since 2012 but at least the yield will be better, although still below our 5 year average. Just glad to have them in the store before tonight's rain.
@Barrowsider Do you use the pea straw for feeding or bedding ? Must obviously be worth saving.
Combining looks a slow job

@Barrowsider Do you use the pea straw for feeding or bedding ? Must obviously be worth saving.
Combining looks a slow job
We use it for bedding. The SIM scheme is not available for peas and whilst some growers chop it anyhow we find it makes great bedding for large animals. It's a bit coarse for calves. Because it's so dry at harvest it's brilliant for soaking up any area of a shed that gets a bit sloppy. Yielded 4-5 4x4 bales/ac this year.

Back