perkins

As a matter of interest does or did anybody else run an older and newer generation Perkins side by side and how did the compare?

Have a 236T in the Landini and 1004 in the Case. Both are meant to be the same power but they certainly dont feel that way, both same hours.

Landini is an animal to pull even with 0.5t more weight and a clutch on its last legs and the Case has new rear tyres and very mute in comparison.

Just wondering is it the engine or more the drive train.
Can be a few items to check on the cx. There is a small filter screen on line going into the injector pump which can be clogged and cause poor performance. Another thing that can happen is the boost diaphragm can split but usually a tell tale sign of this is that the fuel tank will start to expand!

Can be a few items to check on the cx. There is a small filter screen on line going into the injector pump which can be clogged and cause poor performance. Another thing that can happen is the boost diaphragm can split but usually a tell tale sign of this is that the fuel tank will start to expand!

Not the latter anyway!! I doubt it's the former as it never seems to be starved of fuel, will check.

I should really get the Landini dynoed, for a tractor that was never touched it just seems to be like a good wine, gets better with age.

As a matter of interest does or did anybody else run an older and newer generation Perkins side by side and how did the compare?

Have a 236T in the Landini and 1004 in the Case. Both are meant to be the same power but they certainly dont feel that way, both same hours.

Landini is an animal to pull even with 0.5t more weight and a clutch on its last legs and the Case has new rear tyres and very mute in comparison.

All engines differ though,had 3 tractors with the 248 Perkins and one of them was an animal,one was flat as a witches tit,the other was average and a poor starter.

We had a 4255 with I presume the same engine as your CX, and it was a very gutsy tractor.
Rather than Dynoing the Landini, maybe Dyno the CX and see what she is putting out.

Having driven 3cx’s with both engines I’d rate the 1004 as a far better engine. Instant start in all temperatures, tons of power and excellent longevity. Maybe the 4,236 was a Monday morning build. Had a 4,236 in the last combine and it was quite good but not a great winter starter.

The phaser engines are very finicky on their timing 1degree out and it will really affect their performance.
As others have said check gauze in the lift pump and the injector, but the boost diaphragm would be my guess, they really are gutless when it goes and most tanks have a good breather so an expanding tank wouldn't be a thing I'd have ever heard of.

Having driven 3cx’s with both engines I’d rate the 1004 as a far better engine. Instant start in all temperatures, tons of power and excellent longevity. Maybe the 4,236 was a Monday morning build. Had a 4,236 in the last combine and it was quite good but not a great winter starter.

To be fair to it, It's an excellent starter, as good as the Ford's. The 236 needs heat to get her going even these mornings!

I'll have a look into this boost diaphragm, is it something butter fingers here could tackle!!

To be fair to it, It's an excellent starter, as good as the Ford's. The 236 needs heat to get her going even these mornings!

I'll have a look into this boost diaphragm, is it something butter fingers here could tackle!!
Simple way for you is to take both pipes off it then get a airline and set the air line to about 20psi
Connect the airline into 1 of the pipe holes and blow...if air comes out the other then new diaphragm
They about a 10er
May need security bits to open the diaphragm case

I never had to tackle into the diaphragm but it appears to be straightforward enough as long as it’s not security bolted.

What’s the point of torx bits?

There just a pain in the arse,my Volvo has them on everything,door handle packed up today so need torx to get at it,it’s just pointless.
Volkswagen are fond of them too. Went to change a window regulator a few years ago and didnt get too far before realising a visit to a tool shop was required

is the pipe between the mechanical lift pump (old perkins phaser) and the filter a low pressure pipe ?
as in can I put a clear plastic pipe on that line ?

Yes about 4psi iirc
Thanks.
On my engine the injector leak off is connected to the top of the filter and the same connection has a Tee piece returning to the tank.
See red circle in picture.
What prevents air getting into the fuel filter from the tank via this connection ?

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 27
Thanks.
On my engine the injector leak off is connected to the top of the filter and the same connection has a Tee piece returning to the tank.
See red circle in picture.
What prevents air getting into the fuel filter from the tank via this connection ?
The flow from injector leak off?

Back