phones

Jay Dee

Phone upgrade time, been on an iPhone 5s this past couple of years & get on well with it, first smartphone I've had and was an easier conversion for me than I thought.

Now some are telling me an iPhone is way overpriced for what they are, & I'd be better off with an android.....

So I have it down to two at the moment, thinking of a Samsung s6, or an iPhone Se..... thoughts on both?, Or should I be looking at something else?

I just moved this across to the Technology board as its more at home here @Jay Dee

In your case probably the iPhone might be best if that is what you are coming from I would think.

Have a look at the LG g5 too, couple of mates have them one switched from the Samsung and rates it as a better phone

Wife has Samsung s4 I think and camera is brutal, especially compared to my I phone 5c or 5s whatever it is. Her battery was never great either. I'm on my second I phone and using the wife's Samsung a odd time and dads Sony a odd time I know I don't want to leave I phones. I never spend much more than a €100 on a upgrade so never get the latest one.

If you are used to Apple it can be hard change , got a free upgrade to a different phone last year and it had windows and I wasn't long about sending it back , android mightn't be as bad but it my opinion when you are used to Apple it's very hard change .

If you are used to Apple it can be hard change , got a free upgrade to a different phone last year and it had windows and I wasn't long about sending it back , android mightn't be as bad but it my opinion when you are used to Apple it's very hard change .
We have windows phone for work. Piece of junk. Yesterday we got a letter from head office telling us to send back the windows phone and use our old phones for a few weeks. Apparently the email and any documents that we save on the phone can be accesses by anyone when we are connected to a shared WiFi network.

It depends, I find the iphone navigation clunky, but been on android for a while now. If you are used to Apple and happy with the price, the iphone is probably the better route. But worth trying out an Android phone just to see.

Wife has Samsung s4 I think and camera is brutal, especially compared to my I phone 5c or 5s whatever it is. Her battery was never great either. I'm on my second I phone and using the wife's Samsung a odd time and dads Sony a odd time I know I don't want to leave I phones. I never spend much more than a €100 on a upgrade so never get the latest one.
Won't be spending anything on a phone.

We have windows phone for work. Piece of junk. Yesterday we got a letter from head office telling us to send back the windows phone and use our old phones for a few weeks. Apparently the email and any documents that we save on the phone can be accesses by anyone when we are connected to a shared WiFi network.
God no! Brother has a windows phone & I can't get on with it at all, wouldn't wish that on anybody, he gets on OK with it tho he never had anything else yet.

It depends, I find the iphone navigation clunky, but been on android for a while now. If you are used to Apple and happy with the price, the iphone is probably the better route. But worth trying out an Android phone just to see.
I go contract so kinda stuck with it for a while if it doesn't suit..

S7 here half went for it because it was water and dust proof to a degree at least very handy when you've a sweaty head or packets full of dust. I've insurance on it plus use a otterbox commuter cover. Very happy with my last s5 til I lost it and if you consider how much you use a phone nowadays it works out pretty cheap whatever you go for just that first day cost of it does hurt

Had a galaxy s5 mini, was ok but went faulty after 5 months and thankfully was covered under warrenty. got a iphone 6s now no complaints, best phone ive ever used

Got an iPhone 4s now and when it gives up I ain't buying another smart phone. Too expensive for just phone calls and txt

I've had a Samsung Galaxy XCover 3 for the past 10 months or so and find it grand. The screen might be on the smallish size for doing a lot of web browsing but is fine for occasional use. The smallish overall size of the phone suits me as it fits in pockets easily, anything any bigger would be in smithereens by now probably. It updated lately and changed a few features which is annoying. I'm fairly happy with the phone.

Edit 18/7/2016
The phone updated lately and has been a pain in the face

Last edited:
I've a Sony and have tried a few Samsungs and hated them.
My biggest hatred on a smart phone is trying to text and spelling all the words wrong.
Found the Samsung worst to use in that aspect.
I've never had an IPhone

Need a new phone, my supposedly bombproof one dropped a few feet today and wont turn on or take a charge, built in battery so guessing some contact inside is broken, what Android ones are best of the recent lot?

Look at the mid range huawei, have one here the last 3 years and still going strong. It's a huawei p9 lite. I'm sure the newer ones will be as good

Need a new phone, my supposedly bombproof one dropped a few feet today and wont turn on or take a charge, built in battery so guessing some contact inside is broken, what Android ones are best of the recent lot?
bought a nokia 6.1 a few months ago. i really like it, it isnt the lightest of thinnest phone around but because of that, the build quality is really good imo. i think the phones is based on an aluminium chassis so that could be down to it. also you get the nokia ringtone as standard so when it rings you can be like "yeah i have a nokia"

I got an iPhone 7 Plus a few years ago. Not cheap but it’s been excellent. The “plus” is the larger version of Apple’s iPhones.
I’m a fan of iPhones now despite being a late convert.

My main tip is to get a big phone, for two reasons:

Big screen is easier to read and importantly, the larger phones generally have a larger battery.
The one I have will do a busy days use without needing a charge.
I recently bought a 6 plus for my wife, bought it online through Littlewoods.

Bought Zover leather flip over covers for both on Amazon. A quality cover that completely covers the screen.

Also recommend iPhone but not mad on big phones. Phone has to fit comfortably in my pocket . As for case otter box defender only case worth having . The case has its downsides but bloody damn near indestructible. Left my phone on the side window of the tractor recently fell out going round a bend . Was half hour later before I missed it . Brother was on the same road and kept an eye for it . Found it on the middle of the road no mark on it .

Back