Picking a new television

OJ5030

Folks,

Any of you tech guru's out there able to give any advice on televisions and/or what to look for. Our one gave up this evening and my head is wrecked looking at websites with such a selection and being honest I havent a clue what is meant by any of the technology types being offfered.

TIA

Buying a new television is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman, you've first got to ensure the dimensions are to your liking and it's easy on eye, then when you get it home you excitedly but carefully extract it from it's packaging and mount it against the wall, if your feeling adventurous you'll try to mount it over the fireplace. When your finished you lay back on the couch with a beer and watch the footie.

KIXF_JGf_400x400.jpg

Not techy here, but decide what size you want, if you want a smart or not smart, and go through the features to decide if you want each one or not, then see what's available. Look in local shops as well as online (argos got my € the last time)

We bought a sony smart tv about 3 years ago for the Father in law to have in his bedroom. We had seen other tvs where you could watch the rte player, download radio apps so he could listen to local radio from home etc. It didn't really work as we planed because we were limited by sony's agreements with the apps that we could download on it.

Last year our main tv went and we bought a samsung android smart tv. We can download apps from the google store. He watches funerals on facebook, we have disney+, prime etc downloaded. It has a really simple browser - we can watch the mart online and even tune into the shed camera. So I'd recommend spending that extra little bit and going for an android smart tv over an ordinary smart tv.

Samsung not smart here.
German man in uk chain shop in Ireland recommending a South Korean product. Quite surreal really!

Newer sony TVs are running android so a good choice if apps, decide what size you want and go and buy the next size up!

Went for a cheap enough smart Toshiba 55” nearly 4 years ago, it’s grand might not be the very best quality but the big thing I think now is if I’d gone for an android based I could get the cameras and stuff on it and think it would be just that little bit better to use. Sound on it seemed to be good till I got a decent sound bar for it. Now we can’t watch it without the sound bar. It sounds real tinny

Plus 1 on the samsung. Very happy with it. Got a soundbar with it but never use it
Same here. Recently got sharp amd a Samsung. Samsung much better with its “smart” remote very easy to use and could work soundbar and navigate SKY through it as well so very convenient.
Also that android feature where you can download apps is brillant. Also you can control the soundbar from most TVs now so no messing with several remotes.

Same here. Recently got sharp amd a Samsung. Samsung much better with its “smart” remote very easy to use and could work soundbar and navigate SKY through it as well so very convenient.
Also that android feature where you can download apps is brillant. Also you can control the soundbar from most TVs now so no messing with several remotes.
We used the panasonic soundbar at first but it doesn't always match up with tv. Just annoying having to keep turning it on. Works fine through phone for music though with tv off

PYE tv, six channels, 2 of which you could see properly, 3 english channels that you could vaguely make out and BBC2 which was snowing constantly. Used to take a few minutes after switching on to see a picture, it was also a great source of heat to warm the room on those cold nights in the 80s.

PYE tv, six channels, 2 of which you could see properly, 3 english channels that you could vaguely make out and BBC2 which was snowing constantly. Used to take a few minutes after switching on to see a picture, it was also a great source of heat to warm the room on those cold nights in the 80s.
And when you pressed in one channel button, the other one popped out. some of them took time to heat up too!

And when you pressed in one channel button, the other one popped out. some of them took time to heat up too!
Aye and some had a little drawer or door with loads of little wheels inside to manually tune the channels.
There used be a Bush tv here when I was small and to keep whichever button pressed in a match had to be jammed in or the button would pop out.
If today's youngsters and teens had to do with what we all had there'd be a monumental sulk.

Back