plantation 5 years old

• Thread starter John kverneland
  • Start date
J

John kverneland

I have some forestry ground that was clear felled around 2014/15. It was replanted and sprayed accordingly but the rotten Sally trees are really thriving in there now. Hard to believe their coming back after 30 years! Will they compete with the sitka spruce or will the sitka tower over it and kill it eventually?

I have some forestry ground that was clear felled around 2014/15. It was replanted and sprayed accordingly but the rotten Sally trees are really thriving in there now. Hard to believe their coming back after 30 years! Will they compete with the sitka spruce or will the sitka tower over it and kill it eventually?
I am not being smart, but, yes the sally will compete with the sitka and also yes the sitka will "eventually" tower over it and kill it.
But it will do a lot of damage, mainly making the sitka uneven and harder to sell, I would be trying to cut and spray stumps with roundup, if you can.

I've some here that was clear felled in 2013 and replanted. The sally has it absolutely taken over despite been sprayed and trimmed back for the first 3 years. I'm not parting with one more lousy cent on it and it can do or die now.

Mine was windrowed and its near impossible to get in there now with briars etc. A hedgecutter head on a mini digger might work?

Mine was windrowed and its near impossible to get in there now with briars etc. A hedgecutter head on a mini digger might work?
You could try it I suppose but Sally grows so quickly I don't know how much of a success it would be. Ground clearance would be another issue with tree stumps catching the undercarriage. A chat with a professional forrester might be worthwhile and get their take on it.

You could try it I suppose but Sally grows so quickly I don't know how much of a success it would be. Ground clearance would be another issue with tree stumps catching the undercarriage. A chat with a professional forrester might be worthwhile and get their take on it.

Like yourself I've enough spent on it but it would be a pity to leave it off now at this stage.. ya I have a block coming up for first thinnings soon ill talk to the advisor about it.

Trees grow multiples each year, so every year or every few years, if you can cut back the sally, gorse whatever; it will allow the sitka an advantage. Its hard work, and a newer ending battle, but I have seen plantations where nothing was done, and there was only around 800-1000 stems per ha, and they were useless, compared to a plantation that had nearer proper stocking Ie 2500 per ha +. Trees need there own competition to encourage leader growth, and upright growth. If you find it all too daunting, break the area down into sections, and hit a section each year.

Back