Plasterboard fixings

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
Got a few bits to hang on plasterboard, what's the best and strongest fixing? Stuff like paintings and curtain railings.

For some thing like a curtain pole id be inclined to find timber if possible!

Use these for for hanging up big fittings if I cant find any joists...but if I had done the first fixing Id have fitted bridgeings for the lights. They have a great hold but tricky if its double slabbed and no use if its insulation backed.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/spring-toggle/cat840118

Some people use these but I dont trust them...If its double slabed and a light load them are ok though.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/self-drills/cat840116

Last edited:
For some thing like a curtain pole id be inclined to find timber if possible!

Absolutely. It only takes the curtain pole/track to jam once, and briefly get most of a person's weight on it, for you to have a nasty mess. Building regs in England do call for solid timber in the areas where curtain rails/poles might be fixed, but of course that doesn't guarantee it'll be there, and I don't know what the regs are in other parts.

I tend not to use the special plasterboard fixings, on the grounds that a 4mm or maybe 4.5 mm chipboard screw will hold a normal sized picture up, and anything more than that ought to have a solid backing. BTW chipboard screws are pretty good into plaster especially if you pilot drill first: a lot better than either pins or conventional woodscrews.

The timber it's proving difficult to find, I'll have to get a better joist detector.

The timber it's proving difficult to find, I'll have to get a better joist detector.

Dont waste your time with them even the good ones are hit and miss...the last expensive one I bought ended up getting launched out of a 3rd story window in fustration:lol:

A quick and cheap and reliable way is to buy some rare earth magnets on ebay (small ones) I have ones the size of a 20cent coin here and just run them over the wall with my finger tip and they allways stick to the screws holding the plasterboard!

If you get them be careful not to get your caught finger between two as they will cause you some some serious harm!

Dont waste your time with them even the good ones are hit and miss...the last expensive one I bought ended up getting launched out of a 3rd story window in fustration:lol:

A quick and cheap and reliable way is to buy some rare earth magnets on ebay (small ones) I have ones the size of a 20cent coin here and just run them over the wall with my finger tip and they allways stick to the screws holding the plasterboard!

If you get them be careful not to get your caught finger between two as they will cause you some some serious harm!

Sound like a strong enough magnet?

ive researched this topic lately, quite a minefield of fixings out there for plasterboard too.
ive boiled it down to one type, its a plastic type one, different sizes available in it.
the ones i have here take a 12mm hole, hard plastic head on it with splines to hold in the board, as you tighten the screw on it it mushrooms out like a rose head, iirc thats what they refer them to, a rose head plasterboard fixing.
it has the advantage of being able to fix to insulated plasterboard as well.
im going to hang my rads with them, so id say they will take a curtain pole or a pic tbh.
i seen a video of them where a lad hung a rad using them, placed a stool down between the panels and sat on it, thought it was good enuf fixing, of all the ones i looked at i couldnt find anything as good.
id like to fix the rads a better/stronger way but as i have a membrane behind the board that i cant puncture i have little other option, but 6 of them in two brackets should be sound.
and unless things get really bad id say ill be able to sit on the sofa for the time being.

give me a bell in the morn if you need to know the brand, not at the crack of dawn either as i have a doll here that seems to think its 1pm instead of 1am... so a long night ahead yet.
and forgive me as im on the phone here as my router here went up in a blaze of glory lastnight thanks to a bolt of lightning so loading a simple page takes a loooooooonnnnnng time....

I bought a box of these fixings (expandet rosett) a few years ago from a UK supplier as I couldn't find them in Ireland at the time. I find them to be a great fixing and I'm trying to get some more for a job at the moment.

I like to shop local if possible but it's very hard to find these fixings or similar anywhere at a sensible price but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Brexit has somewhat complicated getting things shipped here.

Any ideas on suppliers for these without getting gouged on price? Any place that does stock them are at least three times more expensive than the UK.

Tillex have started doing them but tucks don't have the countersunk version in stock and it will take 4 weeks to order in. I'm looking for the 330016 type.

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_080757132.jpg
    PXL_20210407_080757132.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20210407_080807403.jpg
    PXL_20210407_080807403.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 32
I bought a box of these fixings (expandet rosett) a few years ago from a UK supplier as I couldn't find them in Ireland at the time. I find them to be a great fixing and I'm trying to get some more for a job at the moment.

I like to shop local if possible but it's very hard to find these fixings or similar anywhere at a sensible price but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Brexit has somewhat complicated getting things shipped here.

Any ideas on suppliers for these without getting gouged on price? Any place that does stock them are at least three times more expensive than the UK.

Tillex have started doing them but tucks don't have the countersunk version in stock and it will take 4 weeks to order in. I'm looking for the 330016 type.

I have found for curtain rails ( when you have three young boys) the only reliable way to do if you don't have timber it to use a long screw and a large Rawl plug and go into the block it can be finicky tapping the Rawl plug in through insulated slab but at least when it's done it's not pulling off the wall.

I have found for curtain rails ( when you have three young boys) the only reliable way to do if you don't have timber it to use a long screw and a large Rawl plug and go into the block it can be finicky tapping the Rawl plug in through insulated slab but at least when it's done it's not pulling off the wall.
That will work for a block application but this is stone built with moisture barrier which I don't want to pierce.

I have been doing my own DIY over the past 30 years since building the house. Used plastic rawl plugs all of this time.
However building an extension at the moment and there isn’t a rawlplug in sight, the common fixing is the big Rawl screws with coarse thread which grips the block behind the insulated plasterboard. Just drill a 6mm hole for these ones, I have a selection of lengths depending on an internal block wall or external insulated wall. They have excellent grip first time, possibly not great if removed and driven a second time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 38

Any use ? https://www.screwfix.ie/p/gripit-plasterboard-fixings-18-x-205mm-25-pack/414hp

I have been doing my own DIY over the past 30 years since building the house. Used plastic rawl plugs all of this time.
However building an extension at the moment and there isn’t a rawlplug in sight, the common fixing is the big Rawl screws with coarse thread which grips the block behind the insulated plasterboard. Just drill a 6mm hole for these ones, I have a selection of lengths depending on an internal block wall or external insulated wall. They have excellent grip first time, possibly not great if removed and driven a second time.
They are a good fixing. The wurth version is better for driving and holding i find, with checking them out too.
They might do the job, I'll check it out.

Do you have to use the tool with those?
I thought you could just run them in with the battery driver first, unscrew and use.

I've a few screens mounted with them at work and that's how I've done it

Do you have to use the tool with those?
I thought you could just run them in with the battery driver first, unscrew and use.

I've a few screens mounted with them at work and that's how I've done it
It can work that way but it doesn't always work - the little spikes that grip can turn in the plaster board and make a mess or the bolt bit rings and won't pull tight. Doesn't happen with the tool. That's my experience anyway.

Back