Plough Discs

Full set on the plough here. I suppose big powerful tractors make it seem like there's no need and maybe there isn't but years ago especially in grass a plough with discs was a lot easier pulled by a 2wd tractor then a plough without.
Personal preference as well for me as I think a plough without discs looks a bit bare. Like KTM says above they also reduce wear on the shins and skimmers and making the plough a little easier to pull saves diesel imo which should cover the cost of them.

Definitely reduces wear on shins & skimmers but as @Mid cork says they can add a lot of weight.
Only on the rear furrow here.
Most Kverneland plough pictures only have a rear disc.

Finished up the metal changeover today. The boards lined up quite well which is comforting as the plough was bought second hand. The rear land side was added later.

89115625-8CDB-4A69-827D-0EBD28709F0B.jpeg

I have A full set of discs on my plough, only difference I ever do is skimmers, have to remove them for a lot of grassland ploughing

I have A full set of discs on my plough, only difference I ever do is skimmers, have to remove them for a lot of grassland ploughing
Ploughing up a dirty ley is nut house work. I was often near fit to be tied with a temper from kicking clods out of a plough. A few times I've had to fire the discs and the skimmers off to plough a skutchy or just that mat of soft meadow grass stuff down. I have a dirty enough old meadow grass sort of a sod to plough down this year if the weather plays ball but it's getting disc'd to death first. It's already had a generous application of RoundUp to soften it up a bit.

Ploughing up a dirty ley is nut house work. I was often near fit to be tied with a temper from kicking clods out of a plough. A few times I've had to fire the discs and the skimmers off to plough a skutchy or just that mat of soft meadow grass stuff down. I have a dirty enough old meadow grass sort of a sod to plough down this year if the weather plays ball but it's getting disc'd to death first. It's already had a generous application of RoundUp to soften it up a bit.
I found those dirty lea sods with roundup either apply it a long time before ploughing or shortly before. The roots rot or loose their strength and makes it near impossible. So the sod wants to be almost gone or still have a good root system

I found those dirty lea sods with roundup either apply it a long time before ploughing or shortly before. The roots rot or loose their strength and makes it near impossible. So the sod wants to be almost gone or still have a good root system
I never thought of that. It makes sense when you think about it alright.
I have a man with a disc coming Saturday if the weather allows to disc it down for me.

I dont bother with discs either just on the back, im all stubble as well. Agreed they cut down wear on the shins but also they cut down wear on the leg. Mike Roche welded plates on the sides of the legs which help strengthen them and prolong wear.

Yea it tends to drag with the plough like a carpet. I had the same problem a few years ago i had to get the field disced. Horrible 20 year old lea ground.

Definitely reduces wear on shins & skimmers but as @Mid cork says they can add a lot of weight.
Only on the rear furrow here.
Most Kverneland plough pictures only have a rear disc.

Finished up the metal changeover today. The boards lined up quite well which is comforting as the plough was bought second hand. The rear land side was added later.

View attachment 82556

John did you upgrade to 28 boards? The stays look new thats the only reason I'm asking.

What was the disadvantages to slatted boards?
Slats are good if you have soil that sticks to regular boards.
I’ve been told that slats don’t firm the soil as well and can struggle to bury weed seeds at times. The people who told me this both run slatted ploughs.

Back