Ploughing tips and tricks

once again I am back messing with the plough. A few weeks ago I was doing some ploughing for reseeding and the plough would only turn to the half way point before I would have to kick the arse of it out and push handle the other direction to get it so fully reverse. For a few years now the plough slowly creeps into the middle position when oil gets hot also. I had internal seals done on the ram and got it back today and still the same problem is occurring. I took the pipes off the little box and put them straight into the ram and I can reverse it that way but still have to pull the handle one way then kick the arse out and push it the other way so I don’t know whether it’s the box or the ram. However, it is still creeping back this way too. The seals all seem tight, the piston is as straight as anything, there is no crack or dents or anything on the barrell of the ram, has anyone any ideas or have I to do chance a new ram (700 plus vat)

On some models turnover valve is built into ram in others it’s separate not sure for kv but on overum I’m connected direct to ram but it correctly manages turnover sequence so turnover must be in ram.

once again I am back messing with the plough. A few weeks ago I was doing some ploughing for reseeding and the plough would only turn to the half way point before I would have to kick the arse of it out and push handle the other direction to get it so fully reverse. For a few years now the plough slowly creeps into the middle position when oil gets hot also. I had internal seals done on the ram and got it back today and still the same problem is occurring. I took the pipes off the little box and put them straight into the ram and I can reverse it that way but still have to pull the handle one way then kick the arse out and push it the other way so I don’t know whether it’s the box or the ram. However, it is still creeping back this way too. The seals all seem tight, the piston is as straight as anything, there is no crack or dents or anything on the barrell of the ram, has anyone any ideas or have I to do chance a new ram (700 plus vat)
If the ram is not the problem and you have bypassed the turnover valve is there any chance it's the valve in the tractor? Did you try switch to a different handle?

Ya tried different valves and tractors, it must be the ram just cannot actually see why or how
If turnover bypassed then you will have to do the 2 movements which is what he is doing and it works? I think his issue is turnover valve.

If turnover bypassed then you will have to do the 2 movements which is what he is doing and it works? I think his issue is turnover valve.
True but if I do 2 movements with the block connected too it also works so I was thinking maybe back to ram

Mine doing the same. Drove me nuts ploughing for the reseed. I have my suspicions the valve block is knackered. Going to drop her up to Mike Roche to see what is going on and sort it

This is the change over valve on the plough and apparently it’s a spurious one that doesn’t tend to ever really go, that was said to me by the man selling them

Attachments

• C47FAA7C-0323-4EB7-AD9B-E5402AC21AC2.jpeg
    C47FAA7C-0323-4EB7-AD9B-E5402AC21AC2.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DE85C241-E2AA-4C6A-AACF-CE3FF0C946FB.jpeg
    DE85C241-E2AA-4C6A-AACF-CE3FF0C946FB.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 406C470C-1058-4795-BAC8-D9C2AD03823B.jpeg
    406C470C-1058-4795-BAC8-D9C2AD03823B.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 62
Problem sorted, new ram was actually the trick. Somthing I never noticed before and it might be no harm to share is that the piston on one of them model E’s should be 36mm I think it is. The one on my plough was 40mm, someone must have modified the ram years ago, seals seemed tight but oil was coming back some way and the plough was slowly reversing mid air. Because the piston was so big too it was most likely damaging the valve (so I’m told) put new ram on and adjusted the valve and the problem was solved

Problem sorted, new ram was actually the trick. Somthing I never noticed before and it might be no harm to share is that the piston on one of them model E’s should be 36mm I think it is. The one on my plough was 40mm, someone must have modified the ram years ago, seals seemed tight but oil was coming back some way and the plough was slowly reversing mid air. Because the piston was so big too it was most likely damaging the valve (so I’m told) put new ram on and adjusted the valve and the problem was solved
Fair play. Good fix. Always satisfying fixing something yourself and even more satisfying to find the cause of the problem in the first place.

20211013_161238.jpg
Pet peeve of mine is a deep furrow out in the field when throwing headlands towards the ditch. You would end up crossing it for the rest of the year spraying. (Fertilizing is only for the rich)
I turn down the turn stops on the headstock which raises the last furrow out of the ground leaving a less severe furrow. Anything to help me poor back!!

View attachment 98382
Pet peeve of mine is a deep furrow out in the field when throwing headlands towards the ditch. You would end up crossing it for the rest of the year spraying. (Fertilizing is only for the rich)
I turn down the turn stops on the headstock which raises the last furrow out of the ground leaving a less severe furrow. Anything to help me poor back!!
Why not just raise the wheel? I bought a spare stopper this year, replaced the crows foot with a bolt as sometimes it might slip out, changed the pins so now when I'm doing headlands just swap the stoppers no need for a spanner or counting threads afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_190655.jpg
    IMG_20211013_190655.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 79
Back