Ponds

hey lads i had this theory for a while,, that ponds should be part of acres and put in fields where it generally floods.. there would be loads of benefits i think,,, wild life habitats, frogs especially, ducks, birds in general, possibly source of drinking water for ground roaming animals,,, a sump for dedicated drainage into , if the pond was deep maybe the area under water when flooded would reduce,, also wouldnt have to bother getting stuck in the wet areas in a cropped tillage field when that area is saturated and rest of field is trafficable... also wouldnt be very productive area of a field... ive been itching to have a debate/argument about this ..... am i barking mad.. or is it part of acres already,

there would probably be areas that would be more suital drained for increasing the productivity of it, but there would be some areas that wouldnt have somewhere to drain to.

If the pond had the right water plants , they could possibly sab up some nutrients when it fills that would otherwise drain away?

any neaghs or yeahs or anything?

course the would be somewhat different than ed sheerins pond/pool

Last edited:
hey lads i had this theory for a while,, that ponds should be part of acres and put in fields where it generally floods.. there would be loads of benefits i think,,, wild life habitats, frogs especially, ducks, birds in general, possibly source of drinking water for ground roaming animals,,, a sump for dedicated drainage into , if the pond was deep maybe the area under water when flooded would reduce,, also wouldnt have to bother getting stuck in the wet areas in a cropped tillage field when that area is saturated and rest of field is trafficable... also wouldnt be very productive area of a field... ive been itching to have a debate/argument about this ..... am i barking mad.. or is it part of acres already,

there would probably be areas that would be more suital drained for increasing the productivity of it, but there would be some areas that wouldnt have somewhere to drain to.

If the pond had the right water plants , they could possibly sab up some nutrients when it fills that would otherwise drain away?

Great idea but probably in the wrong thread

Didn't someone get in trouble for making a wildlife lake in the memory of a relative?

Yep.
PP required apparently
well then thats what you call an up hill battle so, planning atourity, and they living in dublin probably.. ya dont hear dublin flooding much.. and one of the amain rivers in the country running through it.. maybe the liffy isn't one of the main rivers but its a fairly big ould river.. i wonder do they check it for nitrates

Last edited:
well then thats what you call an up hill battle so, planning atourity, and they living in dublin probably.. ya dont hear dublin flooding much.. and one of the amain rivers in the country running through it.. maybe the liffy isn't one of the main rivers but its a fairly big ould river.. i wonder do they check it for nitrates
that Dyson lad made flood p[lanes on some parts of his farm to intentinally flood it to catch nutrient runn of from the land ad for birds and even fish

there is an artical about it somewhere i cnat find it right now

maybe if we call them flood pools. wouldnt need to get on board crayola involved

Last edited:
I’d be careful making a new pond. It’s one thing making one but it could be a lot more difficult to get rid of it in years to come due to environmental zealots.

I really like nature and wildlife, have done since I was a child. I grew up surrounded by wildlife books, tv programs with Eamon de Buitlear, Don Conroy etc.
We are always being pushed and encouraged to have more nature & wildlife in our country(s), all the more so now since everyone is an expert and we are in a “crisis”.

However, I’ve been thinking lately, is there any measurement to say how much wildlife etc we actually need? Is 10 foxes/square mile sufficient or should we have more? Is 10 worms/cubic foot of soil enough?
It’s all so binary - there never seems to be enough.
How much organic matter do you need in a soil beyond which it doesn’t really matter?

The answer to all the above is rarely found and certainly not published by those who make a living from telling us we need more….

I’d be careful making a new pond. It’s one thing making one but it could be a lot more difficult to get rid of it in years to come due to environmental zealots.

I really like nature and wildlife, have done since I was a child. I grew up surrounded by wildlife books, tv programs with Eamon de Buitlear, Don Conroy etc.
We are always being pushed and encouraged to have more nature & wildlife in our country(s), all the more so now since everyone is an expert and we are in a “crisis”.

However, I’ve been thinking lately, is there any measurement to say how much wildlife etc we actually need? Is 10 foxes/square mile sufficient or should we have more? Is 10 worms/cubic foot of soil enough?
How much organic matter do you need in a soil beyond which it doesn’t really matter?

The answer to all the above is rarely found and certainly not published by those who make a living from telling us we need more….
I think the answer to your question is the concept of "shifting baseline syndrome"

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/fee.1794

talking to old timers around these parts their certainly seems to be alot less stuff like butterflies, moths, wildflowers, Salmon etc. around now then there was 50 years or so ago with knock on consequences for some farmland birds etc. Seems to be a similar trend elsewhere

Not all bad news though as it appears Barn Owls are making a comeback in some places thanx to some farmers doing their bit etc.

Last edited:
that Dyson lad made flood p[lanes on some parts of his farm to intentinally flood it to catch nutrient runn of from the land ad for birds and even fish

there is an artical about it somewhere i cnat find it right now

maybe if we call them flood pools. wouldnt need to get on board crayola involved

It's easy for Mr Dyson to do so, a multi billionaire who is hoovering up land in East England (pardon the pun).

One could speculate that the land is being bought for tax management purposes rather than farming. So a few acres in a pond won't make much difference.

It's easy for Mr Dyson to do so, a multi billionaire who is hoovering up land in East England (pardon the pun).

One could speculate that the land is being bought for tax management purposes rather than farming. So a few acres in a pond won't make much difference.
I suppose thats what Pillar 2 funding in the CAP is meant to support

Looking at the fields lately there are enough ponds with the amount of rain that's falling..:boat::fish:

Good questions ????

Back