Possible switch

indecisive sort

posted a while back about how I have a business class landcruiser, used to have a SWB commercial and how I found the older one better in some ways

Anyway, thinking of changing the business class, I never liked it that much, considering going for either a VW touareg or an Audi Q7, neither are farm jeeps but truth be told, i don't drive the landcruiser in the fields as I don't need to and its the family car, wife has a car for work but its a small 2012 hatchback, she doesn't like driving the landcruiser either, finds it barge like and too heavy,she's having to drive it more now as I'm out of action due to injury

The audi Q7 would have a more refined suspension, they are 3 litre ,as are the VW touareg

Would towing a trailer with cows or sheep thee odd time look ridiculous with a Q7 or a touareg?

Always liked landcruiser but never grew to love this 2017 one

PS , im not interested in a landrover discovery or range rover

I know you have ruled them out but take a test drive in a Discovery. I have the new version and absolutely love everything about it. I only compared it to the land cruiser When buying and I think it is miles better spec and quality. It will move on every 3 years so age is not a worry.

I know you have ruled them out but take a test drive in a Discovery. I have the new version and absolutely love everything about it. I only compared it to the land cruiser When buying and I think it is miles better spec and quality. It will move on every 3 years so age is not a worry.

Did you buy new ?

Yes, new in January 19. I had the previous model (5 seater) and traded it against the new one. My new one is a commercial (to keep BIK low, loophole gone) but has 100% same spec as the 7 seater and €28 k cheaper, just without the back seats.
I love getting into it, she does like juice but I can be heavy on the right foot.
I test drove a cruiser but no comparison in my opinion.

Forgot to say, neither of mine were much good in a slippery field, but thats down to the road spec tyres. I only ever bring it into dry fields during sowing or harvesting anyway so doesn’t bother me.

@indecisive sort

We’ve had landcruisers here over the years, I’m on my second Touareg, I really like them, 3.0 V6 has lots of power, rated to pull 3500kg, they pull way better than a cruiser, anyone who thinks any different hasn’t driven one.
The Touareg is slightly lower to the ground than the landcruiser, given that your going to use it more as a car, than a field jeep, its an advantage as they hold the road much better.

The Audi Q7 is powered by the same engine and 8 speed automatic gearbox as the Touareg, the Q7 is physically a bigger jeep, having a longer wheelbase than the Touareg, this mightn’t suit your wife if she’s not fond of the size of the landcruiser.
For comfort and power both the Touareg and the Q7 will be far ahead of the landcruiser imo.
Go and have a drive in one, you won’t be disappointed. I’m getting 30mpg that’s with no trailer work, a bit lower if driving hard,

Last edited:
Forgot to say, neither of mine were much good in a slippery field, but thats down to the road spec tyres. I only ever bring it into dry fields during sowing or harvesting anyway so doesn’t bother me.

There are probably a few settings on the discovery for different ground conditions, there’re were on the previous model, I find turning off the ESP, gives better traction in the field, I’d turn it off on snow or ice too.

I much prefer the look of the audi than the touareg, prefer the look of the BMW X5 even more but BMW are too rich for my blood

I wouldn't be buying new , id have to consider a 2016 Q7 as they are over 50k for even a three year old

Yes, new in January 19. I had the previous model (5 seater) and traded it against the new one. My new one is a commercial (to keep BIK low, loophole gone) but has 100% same spec as the 7 seater and €28 k cheaper, just without the back seats.
I love getting into it, she does like juice but I can be heavy on the right foot.

I thought the discovery were 2 litre since last year?

Still enough power?

Last edited:
How much cheaper should a private seller realistically be than a dealer?

Thinking 15% minimum ?

Would most likely sell the cruiser privately

:Thumbp2::Thumbp2::Thumbp2:
I much prefer the look of the audi than the touareg, prefer the look of the BMW X5 even more but BMW are too rich for my blood

I wouldn't be buying new , id have to consider a 2016 Q7 as they are over 50k for even a three year old

Are you looking at an N1 business class or a private car?
There’d be some very good Audi’s coming off pcp both here and in the UK.
Your in a good position to be able to buy a good car for you and your family, buy what you want and enjoy driving it.

When you say loophole, I was only thinking about this the other day.
Does a vehicle have to be two seats to avoid bik? Does bik still apply to the business class land cruisers or the likes of a twincab hilux?

Just the job for the OP for towing the cattle box....:laugh:
Would you believe that I saw a Tesla pulling a box in Tipperary a few weeks ago? It was a calf or dog box. Wish I had got a pic.
Can’t be too many of them with ball hitches....!

Does it have to be commercial tax or would you consider private tax?
NCT every 4 years as opposed to a commercial needing a DOE every year.

What about an R-Design Volvo XC 90 or XC60 fine looking cars, 2.0d low road tax, dealers are scarce in some parts of the country. I considered one in the past, I’d be a good journey away from a dealer that put me off and I was happy with the VW.

Does it have to be commercial tax or would you consider private tax?
NCT every 4 years as opposed to a commercial needing a DOE every year.

What about an R-Design Volvo XC 90 or XC60 fine looking cars, 2.0d low road tax, dealers are scarce in some parts of the country. I considered one in the past, I’d be a good journey away from a dealer that put me off and I was happy with the VW.

Those XC 90 volvo have a good rep but volvo has always left me cold

Herself used to have an S40 and i never liked it ,part's were horrible expensive too if memory serves correctly

Doesn't have to be commercial tax if private is under 700 euro, not paying 1200 which is typical for many three litre SUV’S

Last edited:
If my lotto numbers come up this weekend, il buy the new full electric audi e ton

Starts around 75 k and top spec is over 100 k

350 bhp

Looked at utility spec landcruisers but ended up going with a pickup, kept the smelly gear and kit out the cab. Liked the landcruiser though but it was a total barge to drive so, so wide.

Discovery 4s are well regarded, i have to admit the you be better of with the new defender than the disco 5 at least it looks semi ok. The toureg and the q7 underneath are the same car due to vag groups comon platform policy. The are both good but off road capable they aint a gravel track is about thier limit, mainly because of those stupidly big rims and small tyers, thier traction control systems are still way behind land rovers terain response. Not to unreliable but extremely expensive to fix if they go wrong about double the costs for a toyota or land rover.

When you say loophole, I was only thinking about this the other day.
Does a vehicle have to be two seats to avoid bik? Does bik still apply to the business class land cruisers or the likes of a twincab hilux?
When I was buying in 2016 there were a few 5 seater jeeps that were considered to be commercials. Discovery 4, land cruiser, Pajero, Rexton. The BIK was 5% compared to 30% on a car reducing depending on mileage. So I bought the Disco, worked out well for the pocket and liked it to drive.
When I went to change in 2019, the rules had tightened up, 5 seaters were considered to be a car, BIK on a €60k car would be crazy as my mileage would not be high enough. Therefore a change of plan, Bought a 2 year old 520 for the wife which means we have a good car for the Sunday spin with the kids, and I got the Discovery 5 commercial which I use for the other 6 days of the week. The saving in BIK over a few years will pay for the 520.
All pickups are still considered to be commercial for BIK (5%)our company have a few of those too, they work out ok as company gets VAT back which we can’t get on a car and the lads have the seats for kids.
Of course BIK is very low on electric too but I can’t see myself going that route.

When I was buying in 2016 there were a few 5 seater jeeps that were considered to be commercials. Discovery 4, land cruiser, Pajero, Rexton. The BIK was 5% compared to 30% on a car reducing depending on mileage. So I bought the Disco, worked out well for the pocket and liked it to drive.
When I went to change in 2019, the rules had tightened up, 5 seaters were considered to be a car, BIK on a €60k car would be crazy as my mileage would not be high enough. Therefore a change of plan, Bought a 2 year old 520 for the wife which means we have a good car for the Sunday spin with the kids, and I got the Discovery 5 commercial which I use for the other 6 days of the week. The saving in BIK over a few years will pay for the 520.
All pickups are still considered to be commercial for BIK (5%)our company have a few of those too, they work out ok as company gets VAT back which we can’t get on a car and the lads have the seats for kids.
Of course BIK is very low on electric too but I can’t see myself going that route.
You must be able to show a need for the seats on crewcabs to claim the lower BIK, I.e you must have more than one staff member that needs to move with you for work, dairy farmers in companies need to aware of this.

Back