Potatoes

TAFKAT

I see Met Eireann have issued a status yellow blight warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wexford and Wicklow. I know several members grow a few for the house, but are there any commercial potato growers on here? Couldn't seem to find a thread dedicated to the subject. We used to grow a couple of acres at home until the early 2000's for sale in local shops, there were a handful of growers around here growing 5-20 acres up until the last few years but gone now, is it purely the preserve of the large scale growers at this stage?

Lads up the road from here grow a few acres every year. They sell them at farmers markets and say they make as much money from it as 10 cows.

I know a few commercial growers I suppose you’d call them, one crowd at it in a big enough way here in Galway, another around crettyard I think it’s called in laois/Kilkenny and then the lad that had my combine before me used to have nearly 1000 acres outside of navan, pity a few wouldn’t join here I’d say it’s very interesting

I know a few commercial growers I suppose you’d call them, one crowd at it in a big enough way here in Galway, another around crettyard I think it’s called in laois/Kilkenny and then the lad that had my combine before me used to have nearly 1000 acres outside of navan, pity a few wouldn’t join here I’d say it’s very interesting
Who's at spuds around Crettyard ? Land around that general area wouldn't be exactly prime tillage ground.

Who's at spuds around Crettyard ? Land around that general area wouldn't be exactly prime tillage ground.
2 brothers , 1 of which bought a farm a couple of miles from me 25 years ago when he got married . 51 now . He was here with me for a couple of hours last Saturday evening . Think they do a bit of contracting at baled silage back around home , with a Lely baler . The TX is a minter for the age of it .

2 brothers , 1 of which bought a farm a couple of miles from me 25 years ago when he got married . 51 now . He was here with me for a couple of hours last Saturday evening . Think they do a bit of contracting at baled silage back around home , with a Lely baler . The TX is a minter for the age of it .
That’s them, oldest lad is a year or 2 younger than me, works for seedtech

The lad you buy the barley from?

I see Met Eireann have issued a status yellow blight warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wexford and Wicklow. I know several members grow a few for the house, but are there any commercial potato growers on here? Couldn't seem to find a thread dedicated to the subject. We used to grow a couple of acres at home until the early 2000's for sale in local shops, there were a handful of growers around here growing 5-20 acres up until the last few years but gone now, is it purely the preserve of the large scale growers at this stage?
The lad with that jf 1100 does spuds too hense all the tractors.

Might see will your man here join. Has plenty of stories anyway. Listening to him here now.

Mine arent up yet , and a friend has to sow his yet ...

I know one lad very well from there, dairy man works for Pearson’s parlours, massey tractor

I passed there last night before dark , and saw the Pearson van outside the house . Know of them , but but not know them personally . Father very involved in IFA .

2 new Holland combines now ? One a cx880 the other a tx68?
Ah yeah, that's ivan curran, Sheridans of kilberry have claas's. I think he got a new harvester last year as well, there's talk of getting one here too, you can get this grant if you grow onions and carrots but you have to be growing them 2 years afaik and they must be organic. Pays a good chunk of the over all price. There was a 2 row one sold last year, it was great because you simply couldn't get it stuck but it damaged the spuds too much.

Back