Propionic Acid

It is but I was going to stick one in the main tractors with a few pages highlighted . Who do I have to open my Cutrainsider to inspect my load if everything else about it looks okay .

Did You get any further with this? @Tippcon

I got a vague reply from the HSA which quoted regulations and advised me to refer to the ADR guide for business. However, the guide clearly states the "carriage of farm supplies by the farmer" is an exempt activity and not subject to the ADR or national regulations. I wrote back looking for clarification on a couple of specific points and am waiting for a reply.

Got a reply this evening. There is indeed an exemption for a farmer who is transporting propionic acid for his own use on the farm, in quantities of not more than 450 litres per container. There are also small load exemptions for a use other than your own on the farm, for propionic acid with a concentration of >90% it is 333 litres and for <90% it is 1000 litres. The long and the short of it would seem to be that you can carry up to 333L at a time without any problems no matter who you are or what you want it for, but I haven't studied it in any great detail yet.

It's looking increasingly unlikely that there will be any propionic acid based products available for this harvest, if anyone was planning on using it to treat grain it would be advisable to consider alternatives
Any experience of adesco mycrocurb?

What alternatives are there so?
If you have any suggestions I'm all ears. I don't know much about that product, you might enlighten us. Other than that Home N'Dry/Maxxamon type products, get it dried, cut under 20% and keep it on air, or cut at 16-17%.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears. I don't know much about that product, you might enlighten us. Other than that Home N'Dry/Maxxamon type products, get it dried, cut under 20% and keep it on air, or cut at 16-17%.
No I was only curious as to any other options as you do a lot of that grain treatment work. Half an idea I’d keeping some grain again but they home n dry type stuff is very expensive

No I was only curious as to any other options as you do a lot of that grain treatment work. Half an idea I’d keeping some grain again but they home n dry type stuff is very expensive
It's working out in the €45-€50/t mark when rolling is included, which is considerably more expensive than propcorn. Propcorn is also pretty much fool-proof, the others less so. I was only informed with a fair degree of certainty this week that propionic acid can't be got, although it was on the cards alright.

Also I tell a lie, I don't think I have any experience with the product @Blackwater boy mentioned above, the stuff I was thinking of was a German propionic acid based product, I'm after looking up the book.

Any clue on it's name?
A 2000t order could soon be shared out among a few farms.
@diesel power could do it with one of his farms .
I think this might be the company.

Horrible stuff that propionic acid, I recall putting that on barley with a watering can as it came up an auger to a loft, between the fumes and the heat and dust, near suffocating.

Horrible stuff that propionic acid, I recall putting that on barley with a watering can as it came up an auger to a loft, between the fumes and the heat and dust, near suffocating.
I'd hardly even smell it anymore, whether that's a good or a bad thing I don't know. Nasty stuff, but very effective.

Generally under 20, and don't say "crimp it" because it's not practical in the majority of situations
So most of your customers what to safely store barley off the combine @ 20% similar to if it was 15% dried and they want it all rolled going into store?

What was the cost of the previous method, start to finish, loading, rolling, apply additive, unloading in the shed? €30 a ton?

I'd hardly even smell it anymore, whether that's a good or a bad thing I don't know. Nasty stuff, but very effective.
I always found cattle nosed it for a few days if I ever swapped over to prop acid treated that I would have bought of a merchant. Performance was similar to dried

So most of your customers what to safely store barley off the combine @ 20% similar to if it was 15% dried and they want it all rolled going into store?

What was the cost of the previous method, start to finish, loading, rolling, apply additive, unloading in the shed? €30 a ton?
That's the general idea yes. Around €30/t would be the run of it I would imagine, I don't supply the acid so that price could vary.

Back